MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

World Cup 2010 (Official Thread)

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

World Cup 2010 (Official Thread)

Postby chris! » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:20 am

Discuss.
chris!

Re: World Cup 2010 (Official Thread)

Postby Walter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:04 pm

I don't know much about the futbol myself, but my old, good friend Bruce sure does on his super brilliant monster awesome blog Du Nord. I will always shamelessly plug a friend's genius.

http://dunord.blogspot.com/
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:19 am

US wins 1-0, on a goal scored in added time. They take the group, and advance with England to the knockout round! First group win since 1930, the US' first World Cup appearance.

I'm sure when jjoyce comes back from his 3-martini at King and Mane, he'll delete the spam iphone threads, but in the meantime--GOOD VIBES ALL AROUND.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:47 am

I've just returned from the woods, so I admit I haven't seen much soccer in the last few days. I had the great luck of spending a week in Berlin for the last World Cup, so my bar has been set pretty high. What caught my attention wasn't so much how insane it got for Germany games, it's how reverent people were for even the most inconsequential games in the group round. Berliners would leave work early (I got the sense that not a ton of work is done in that country during summer) and gather on sidewalks outside restaurants, corner stores, and obviously in beer gardens to watch, say, Portugal/Ivory Coast. Soccer is in the blood of the Germans and they pay close attention to all the games. They're eager to hear your analysis of the U.S.A. team and they know more than you do because they grew up in Leverkusen and watched Donovan for a year or something.

The play-by-play on German TV was so spare that it was funny at times. Minutes would go by in a game with no commentary at all and then the announcer would say, simply, "Figo" as the Portuguese star touched the ball.

Everyone here is going to be amped for Ghana, and they should be. But the match of the weekend will be England/Germany based on pure star power. Watching that game will provide an incredible amount of background for anyone interested in learning more about the game. And while it's fun to watch these games in bars with a ton of other people, it's really instructive to listen to ESPN's crew of play-by-play guys and analysts this time around. Jurgen Klinsmann has forgotten more about soccer than Alexi Lalas will ever know.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:18 pm

Are FIFA refs crooked?
For such an pretigious international event it sure seems like there have been some blatantly bad calls made by FIFA refs this year. Is there favoritism going on? The U.S. coach said soccer is a tough sport to ref. Um, why is that? I understand the running around must be physically demanding, but the rules seem pretty simple. Assessing penalties is more open to interpretation. Why are the FIFA refs, supposedly the best that organization has to offer, making so many 'mistakes'?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:35 pm

supaunknown wrote: Why are the FIFA refs, supposedly the best that organization has to offer, making so many 'mistakes'?

Instant replay.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:00 am

Article about the heat that FIFA is under after all this terrible refereeing.
I still wonder if there's more to this than a series of human errors. Many calls were quite suspect. Worldwide event, big money, political pressure, etc. Corruption wouldn't be unheard of at this level of competition. FIFA has had problems with referee bribery in the past.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Nobody who really likes soccer could possibly be advocating video replay. I can't imagine stopping the game to go back and review whether a goal was scored or not. Adding officials to just watch goals, like the way they used to do it in hockey, is my preference. They've experimented with this in the Europa League.

Can't wait for Saturday. Argentina vs. Germany is going to be a great game. Say it with me: Klooooohhhhhh-Sahhhhhhh!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:48 pm

jjoyce wrote:Nobody who really likes soccer could possibly be advocating video replay. I can't imagine stopping the game to go back and review whether a goal was scored or not.

Why not? What's so unholy about it? Goals in soccer can be really hard to score. Scoreless matches after 90 minutes of play are fairly common, so doesn't that emphasize the need to make sure that when one is scored, that it is verified?

I'm less romantic than others when it comes to accepting blatant human errors as part of the refereeing process. I've played on teams that have seen both sides of ref favoritism. It sucks. I don't want have robo-umps calling balls & strikes, but it seems reasonable to allow for the occasional replay to ensure the correct call is made.

Nada opinion on my speculation that some FIFA refs might be crookeder than a crone's cane?
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:26 pm

Because soccer is not supposed to be a game that's stopped. Have you seen these goals late in games where one of the scored-upon players runs in and grabs the ball and sprints to mid-field with it to kick-off again? A major part of the sport is in its fluid, non-stop rhythm.

For instance, in the case of the U.S. goal vs. Algeria, Tim Howard made a save and immediately threw the ball out to a wing, similar to a basketball outlet pass, that led directly to the game-winning goal at the other end. What if the saved shot had been closer to going in? Does the ref blow his whistle to stop play so they can review it?

In other sports where video review is used (football and basketball, for instance), it's when there's a stoppage in play. Play doesn't stop in soccer.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:37 pm

jjoyce wrote:Because soccer is not supposed to be a game that's stopped. Have you seen these goals late in games where one of the scored-upon players runs in and grabs the ball and sprints to mid-field with it to kick-off again? A major part of the sport is in its fluid, non-stop rhythm.

For instance, in the case of the U.S. goal vs. Algeria, Tim Howard made a save and immediately threw the ball out to a wing, similar to a basketball outlet pass, that led directly to the game-winning goal at the other end. What if the saved shot had been closer to going in? Does the ref blow his whistle to stop play so they can review it?

In other sports where video review is used (football and basketball, for instance), it's when there's a stoppage in play. Play doesn't stop in soccer.

Allowing one team challenge per match would seem to be reasonable and would minimally affect the flow of the match yet possibly correct game-deciding injustices.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:36 pm

jjoyce wrote:Nobody who really likes soccer could possibly be advocating video replay.

Kinda like how nobody who really likes golf could possibly ignore the PGA Championship?

I'm taking a wild guess these folks have forgotten more about soccer than you'll ever know.

http://www.fifpro.org/news/news_details/327
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:44 pm

jjoyce wrote:Play doesn't stop in soccer.

I'm no expert on the game of soccer, but if play didn't stop what's Injury Time then?

I like the way the NHL handles video replay. An official in Toronto is watching the game. Play continues but if a goal had been scored (or not scored) the refs are notified and things are put right. It's not perfect - nothing ever could be perfect - but I like it a lot more than relying solely on the eyes of the refs.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:08 pm

wallrock wrote:
jjoyce wrote:Play doesn't stop in soccer.

I'm no expert on the game of soccer, but if play didn't stop what's Injury Time then?

I get your point, and I'm in favor of technological intervention to get some things right, but if you tie replay time in with injury breaks somehow, you're going to only increase the amount of bullshit diving that already takes up too much of every match.

Diving : soccer :: fighting : hockey
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 pm

The only thing more boring than soccer is debates about instant replay. You'd think after 30 years worth of debate in college and pro football, basketball and baseball we could figure out something that would work without ruining some part of the sport in question. Or perhaps we just need to let go of certain emotional roadblocks in the name of getting it right.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking