MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison beaches- just lacking in general

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Madison beaches- just lacking in general

Postby muddyleadwater » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:35 pm

Has anyone noticed the current state of most Madison beaches? These beaches are perfectly in season and in full swing, though I don't see much regulation of garbage pick up or beach personnel. After my experience at James Madison Park the other day, I could feel the shame that must be felt (or not be felt) by the parks dept.

First, the size of the beach is literally the size of 6 parking spaces, width and length. The garbage is also reminiscent of a parking lot. There's a large, open-top garbage receptacle with flies and wasps buzzing just yards from your beach towel.. not pleasant.

There's no lifeguard or parks dept. personnel in sight, forgetting any chance of thinking the city even has a hint of care for their parks or attendees.

That's even if the "beach" (which is mostly comprised of washed up scum and broken glass) is even open due to an "acceptable" level of toxic blue-green algae.

Madison seems to hold itself pretty proud of its pleasant little State St. and Capitol Square but is overall lacking in maintaining it's beaches and parks. All I ask is for a large recreational beach with a well kept facility in the heart of Madison for all locals to enjoy and create another vibrant cultural center within our city during the summer months. If anyone has suggestions on how to get this started and bring it to the attention of the city, please do explain.
muddyleadwater

Re: Madison beaches- just lacking in general

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:21 pm

You should complain to the parks department and to the mayor's office at the very least. I am sure longtime Parks employees are not happy with the way things are going either. The downtown parks used to be reasonably well maintained, and although some days the water isn't swimmable, on plenty of days it is. Going to the beach used to be a regular summertime activity in Madison (especially downtown), and it isn't up to Parks to decide we won't be doing it any longer.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:51 am

The condition of the lakes in general, and the beaches in particular, ought to be a bigger deal around here. They suck.

We were at Verona's Fireman's Park the other day and it was great. Lifeguards were picking up sticks (!) when they weren't on a chair or watching kids fly out the bottom of a very fast water slide. Garbage was nonexistent. The lawn was neatly mowed and the sand was in great shape.

Granted, Fireman's is an old quarry, so it's got some advantages. But the officials around here seem resigned to leaving Madison's lakes to rot (literally) while other projects are pursued.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:05 am

jjoyce wrote:The condition of the lakes in general, and the beaches in particular, ought to be a bigger deal around here. They suck.

But the officials around here seem resigned to leaving Madison's lakes to rot (literally) while other projects are pursued.

Not in any way to excuse the Parks Dept. for lack of basic cleanliness at beach areas, but I think part of the reason the lakes are "left to rot" is that no one governing body is responsible for the condition of the lakes.

The city, county, and at least one state agency all have varying degrees of jurisdiction, and little if any discernable coordination. I'm afraid that unless or until we deal with that issue, the lakes will continue to decline.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking