MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Motorcycle tires

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Motorcycle tires

Postby Like_Stink » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:59 pm

A few years ago, someone gave me the number of a guy who installs tires for $10. When I called, the deal was that I had to buy the tires from him (which was reasonable, but I had a new set of tires). Now I need a new front and am too lazy to install it. Does anyone know a place that sells tires and installs them reasonably? (I'm sick of dropping almost $100 just to install a tire)
Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Re: Motorcycle tires

Postby Ducatista » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:53 pm

It's been a while since I've had anyone but Team Triumph deal with my tires. I think Madison Motorsports can mount it on the rim, but not on the bike. Motorcycle Solutions can mount it on the bike, probably for a lot more than $10.

You need a new front before you need a new rear? I burn through rears about twice as fast as fronts.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Like_Stink » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Normally I do two rears to front also, but last fall the front looked good and it was just time for a rear. Couple thousand miles in and the front looks like crap……it went very quickly and maybe I just wasn’t keeping up with pressures – don’t know. It’s an old ’82 GS1100E, so I can’t really run modern rubber, but I’ve been using Pirelli Sport Demons the past several tires. I like em – sticky – but they don’t have a great amount of life. I’d like to try some Avon Road Riders next, but first I need one more Pirelli up front.

I used to always go to Bill’s and I still would, but for little stuff we’re on opposite sides of town. I went to Motorcycle Solutions for the past rear – just damn expensive. For a tire that cost about $100, I shouldn’t have to give him $210 when I pick the bike up.

If Madison Motorsports is cheap and I have to take off the wheel, that’s a breeze on the front…..I’ll call them.

Is Team Triumph Lyall’s shop? (bought my first bike from him in 1971 I think – on Williamson Street).
Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Like_Stink wrote:Is Team Triumph Lyall’s shop?

Nope, that's Sharer. Out on PD now. They never seemed too enthusiastic about the sportbike side of Triumph business. Not the right shop for me.

Team Triumph is in Janesville. Best moto dealer in all the land.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Like_Stink » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:00 am

Ah, I think I've heard of it. I suspect you have a Daytona (okay, there are other possibilities) - the 955i is beautiful, the 675 is, well, also beautiful but a little cramped for my old self.

Speed Triple's on my short list for a move to modernity.

I called Steve at Madison Motorsports and it's the deal. Tire is about as cheap as I could find online and he'll mount and balance for $22. I have to take the wheel off, but that's nothing.
Like_Stink
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 am

I love my 955. I'm hoping I can nurse it along until (if) the hoped-for Daytona 1050 arrives. I've ridden my husband's 675, and it's epically uncomfortable compared to my bike. But it goes like, well, stink.

Glad MM could hook you up!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking