MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 67.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Brickhouse BBQ - a Resounding "Meh."

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Brickhouse BBQ - a Resounding "Meh."

Postby nichole » Wed May 12, 2010 6:38 pm

We had enough sauce.
nichole

Postby Stebben84 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:04 pm

gargantua wrote:You know, I don't much give a shit if you find it silly. I too was there with a group of six, and we were given sauce in a couple of tiny little containers. We asked for more and got them without charge.

That's another reason I find it a silly criticism.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
gargantua wrote:You know, I don't much give a shit if you find it silly. I too was there with a group of six, and we were given sauce in a couple of tiny little containers. We asked for more and got them without charge.

That's another reason I find it a silly criticism.

But we don't know if the poster I stuck my neck out defending had the same experience I did. I just wonder if you got the same, honestly approximately about 1 oz per 6 people we did. It was really good sauce, and our group's entree's could have used a bit more. All I'm saying is they could be a little more cognizant of the sauce-challenged customers' needs, given the premise of the thread. I was reacting to some perceived condescension, and I apologize if I read that wrong.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 am

NullDevice wrote:Well, here was the problem:

We got a plate with three ramekins of sauce. One ramekin was enough for about a single order of ribs, give or take. However, they were three separate kinds of sauces (tomato BBQ, Mustard, and vinegar). Two of which I can say that nobody was interested in but me (mustard and vinegar).

That has got to be one of the most wasteful and dumb ways to serve sauce at a BBQ joint. Not my favorite place for ribs, but someone else mentioned Famous Daves. They at least know how to present the all-important sauce that so many people define the BBQ experience around. Put bottles of BBQ sauce on every table. Let the customers take what they want and leave what they don't. So much less waste and no more customers having to ask for more and still not getting what they want.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby yesferatu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:51 pm

The most meaty-ocre bbq place in Madison.
I've been there several times since they opened and I have been disappointed every time. On opening day, I had the brisket so tough it got kicked off the menu.

The *best* of things I've had being the dry and stringy ribs.
The *worst* being the Home Style Mac (and minimal) Cheese.
The sauces were thin and not terribly memorable.

Yes, they have a huge beer selection but the place feels more Great Dane and less Salt Lick.

It's built for people who will never return, happily overpaying for a business lunch.
yesferatu

Postby O.J. » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 pm

yesferatu wrote:I've been there several times since they opened and I have been disappointed every time.

It's built for people who will never return, happily overpaying for a business lunch.

Need I ask?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby yesferatu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:39 am

Please do.
If you're asking what I meant...or why I've gone there 5 times if it's so bad...I'll answer both.

It's like the Great Dane in that it will become a destination for out-of-towners. It's flashy and the food is passable if you're never going to go there again.
Locals that are serious about BBQ should go to Smoky Jon's.

I tried a bunch of different things since they opened including ribs, brisket, pulled pork and roast chicken.
I was there last Friday for a birthday where the pre-dinner consensus was "hey, I've never been there, it sounds awesome."
The after dinner consensus was, "meh, that was expensive."

So there you go.
yesferatu

Postby O.J. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:55 am

I'm still not sure why you'd keep going back to a place where you think the food is overpriced and passable, if eaten only once, but I've never been a glutton for punishment. To each his own.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby yesferatu » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 am

The last time was for a birthday thing for a friend.

I was hoping the issues I had were just new restaurant stuff that would be fixed. They really weren't.
I don't think I'll be going back.
yesferatu

Postby babelfish » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 pm

yesferatu wrote:Locals that are serious about BBQ should go to Smoky Jon's.

Locals that are really serious about BBQ should check out Porky Pine Pete's.
babelfish

Postby gemini child » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Hands down, worst meal in recent memory. I had ribs and pork with mac and cheese and cole slaw on the side. Everything was served lukewarm and nothing tasted extraordinary. I would eat Famous Dave's and of course Porky Pine Pete's any day over this place. My biggest complaint would be the service. It seemed like young college girls were "running" the place and I saw no competent manager on site.
gemini child

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews