MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

World Cup 2010 (Official Thread)

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: World Cup 2010 (Official Thread)

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:36 am

The NHL system might be able to work... it would have counted the England goal and not stopped play, which is my biggest concern.

I'm sure those who run FIFA know more about soccer than I do, but I know more about being a fan of soccer, as that's what I've been for a long time while they've been administrators and guys looking to profit from the game. Different perspectives. I'm also a FIFA customer, having purchased World Cup tickets, FIFA licensed merchandise and avidly watched games on TV.

A lot of people calling for video replay clearly don't understand the important dynamic of continuous play. A friend of mine complaining about certain results has never watched a game all the way through and only cares about the sport when U.S.A. is playing. That's common among those participating in talk radio discussions as well.

Lu! Lu! Lu! Lucas Podolski! Lu! Lu! Lu! Lucas Podolski!
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:11 pm

jjoyce wrote:A lot of people calling for video replay clearly don't understand the important dynamic of continuous play.

I'm taking a guess that the players in the Europa League understand this dynamic quite well. Did you see the survey where these players "almost unanimously argued in favour of the introduction of goal line technology?"

In first round games this year, a grand total of 25 goals were scored in 16 games. Obviously, not every goal is in dispute; I don't see this as a major impediment to the flow of the game.

I can't believe I'm arguing about soccer.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:A lot of people calling for video replay clearly don't understand the important dynamic of continuous play. A friend of mine complaining about certain results has never watched a game all the way through and only cares about the sport when U.S.A. is playing. That's common among those participating in talk radio discussions as well.

Futbol may be the most popular sport in the world, but as a casual observer I plainly see professional soccer lacks integrity. The suspect overabundance of bad calls made by FIFA referees has discredited the sport yet again on a world stage. Add that to the players themselves flopping around and futbol turns into a sad joke. Akin to the NBA, only lamer because soccer requires infrequent athletic use of the human arms.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:29 pm

Yes, but the thing is that the teams that dive the most (Portugal, Italy, some of the African teams) are done. They weren't rewarded for that behavior. The best teams have prevailed: Germany, Holland, Spain, Argentina, Brazil. Italy and France are both shadows of their former selves and few will disagree that the U.S. doesn't have the players other teams do. England gets too much hype because of the Premiere League's image.

Argentina has the players to play straight up, but often resort to gimmicks (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/ ... 901&ver=us) so we'll see how they play on Saturday.

The Europa league has used goal line refs, which I support. NOT video replay.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Hotel workers in a luxury hotel where the English were staying stole shirts, underwear, cash, and a medal.

On Sunday, a special World Cup court convicted five hotel workers of the thefts. They were sentenced to three years in prison and fined 6,000 rand (about $800).

Um, World Cup court?

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Hotel-staff-steal-England-shirts-medals-and-und?urn=sow,251924
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:10 pm

The World Cup courts are actually really interesting. The idea is that there will be all sorts of crime surrounding the event (pick pockets, counterfeit souvenirs, scalpers, etc.) that the South African system isn't set up for. So FIFA brought in all these judges to do quick hearings and assess penalties for the little stuff.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:15 pm

jjoyce wrote:The World Cup courts are actually really interesting.

One of the arrestees was Paris Hilton, on a pot charge. She beat the rap. Maybe her judge was from Amsterdam.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Funny how sparse this thread is, while here in Antwerp the vuvuzelas and car horns have only just died down, and it's 2:45 a.m. Plenty of happy Belgians tonight, more about NL's defeat than Spain's victory.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking