MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Always Good

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Always Good

Postby Crockett » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 pm

I've tried to go to LuLu's but their prices have kept me away. Shish cafe is practically half as expensive and I can't believe LuLu's is twice as good.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Crockett wrote:Shish cafe is practically half as expensive and I can't believe LuLu's is twice as good.

Twice as expensive, really? I just checked online menus for both places (likely outdated), but Lulu's prices are only a few dollars more per item. And Lulu's seems to give a little bigger portions.

I've been to both places quite often and would list them both on the "Always Good" list.

Personally I think Lulu's might be slightly better than Shish, but agree their prices do keep me from coming back as often.

I thought the prices at the Casbah (similar food) were higher than Lulu's.

If you are looking for a better bargain than Shish, check out Med Cafe on State. Although they close early, mainly open for lunch. Another place I would put on the "Always Good" list.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Seems to me that Lulu's prices shot up about the time that Lombardino's got classed up a few years ago. Still worth it, I do like their ambiance a little better than Shish, plus Shish is quite a bit further west.

Lulu's hummus is the best in the city, imho.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:18 pm

For old time supper club fare, Feiler's on Verona Rd. and the Beltline.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby TheSyndicate » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 am

Greenbush is always very good. My wife and I have always had good experiences at Otto's (though, strangely, it is never the first restaurant to pop into our heads when haggling about where to go). But I think the Alchemy has shot to the top of our list of places that never disappoint.
TheSyndicate

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:16 am

Although I've only eaten there a handful of times, Inka Heritage has never disappointed.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:24 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Although I've only eaten there a handful of times, Inka Heritage has never disappointed.

Definitely. The only "disappointment" I've ever experienced here was the one time I couldn't get the causa limena since the kitchen was out.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:37 am

Mediterranean Cafe is definitely on the always good list for lunch. The only thing I've ever had there that I didn't enjoy was an apricot/chicken/pastry amalgam that was just an unexpected texture and flavor combination-- just a personal preference thing.

TheSyndicate wrote: I think the Alchemy has shot to the top of our list of places that never disappoint.

Alchemy is first rate, and right around the corner from us. The flank steak is, for the money, the best preparation in town. The buffalo melt is genius. Raves to the sweet potato fries also. However, its only flaw is when the live music is so loud it overpowers any potential of conversation. Because we usually think to go there for a late meal, this happens pretty frequently. Not just "elevate your voices" loud; "pain in the ear canal" loud. I love live music. I just never understand why places purporting to be restaurants that also present live entertainment (with no separate area to duck into, a la Mickey's) don't just keep the music at a decent level. When Whitney Mann, John Statz, or Oak Street Ramblers are playing at Alchemy, it makes for an enhanced, even more pleasant experience there. But a loud DJ or a frenetic jam band makes it hard to converse normally.

Wow, I sound old.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 pm

swoon_queen wrote:Mediterranean Cafe is definitely on the always good list for lunch. The only thing I've ever had there that I didn't enjoy was an apricot/chicken/pastry amalgam that was just an unexpected texture and flavor combination-- just a personal preference thing.
The Mediterranean is solid, and I always appreciate the pleasant, no-nonsense demeanor of the owner and staff. But the food really could use a little slap in the butt. The ever present "béchamel" they serve is far less interesting than the the wheat paste I was served during my kindergarden arts-and-crafts hour, for example. I'd much rather see an interesting tahini sauce as an option, or a simple tomato sauce with cheap fresh herbs grown by local hard-working slackers.

The Med has a loyal following. It wouldn't hurt to challenge a few anesthetized palates in the interest of retaining customers who like good, simple food.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:37 pm

I'm right there on LuLu's, Shish Cafe, and Himal Chuli. I'll add King of Falafel and Chautara. While the service at Lao Laan-Xang can be measured in geological terms, I have never had bad food there.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby pds » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:03 pm

King of Falafel is now closed. The King of Falafel food cart has also changed hands.
pds

Postby towanda » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:21 pm

pds wrote:King of Falafel is now closed. The King of Falafel food cart has also changed hands.

Dang. I hadn't been there in a while.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby coldspotter » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 am

TheSyndicate wrote:Greenbush is always very good. My wife and I have always had good experiences at Otto's (though, strangely, it is never the first restaurant to pop into our heads when haggling about where to go). But I think the Alchemy has shot to the top of our list of places that never disappoint.

Otto's has gone downhill in my opinion. The last 3 times that I have been there they were out of something that I ordered and the menu hasn't changed in over a decade. Happy Hour has turned into a cheesy singles-fest and the arrogance of the owner is enough to keep me away for good. I just can't support that combination of errors anymore.
coldspotter

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:42 pm

John01 was taken, so you just went with a misspelling huh?

My always good list is more about specific items than places.

The Quattro Gusti pizza at La Rocca's.
Walnut burger at Harmony.
Curry dishes at Sala Thai and Ha Long bay
Garibaldi sandwich at paisan's
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Rachelz » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Cafe La Bellitalia. Always consistently great.

Muramoto's for lunch.

And frankly, the Great Dane downtown. I never think of it as a great restaurant, but when I have to go there for lunch, I never dread it.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews