MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Offenbach and Frankfurt suggestions

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Offenbach and Frankfurt suggestions

Postby Jademan7 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:15 pm

I'll be heading to Offenbach and Frankfurt for about 10 days in the first couple weeks of September. Any suggestions of what to see or where to go? I've never been there before so any ideas will be appreciated. I'll be staying with friends that have lived there for their whole lives so directions shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks in advance.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Re: Offenbach and Frankfurt suggestions

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:41 am

If you're staying in Frankfurt, a day trip along the Rhine River is a must. By car head west for about half an hour and you're there. If you don't have a car, consider a boat tour.

It's like stepping back into another time as you pass through old villages and castle after castle after castle nestled into well preserved terrain above the river--a whole different side of Germany compared to the city life of Frankfurt. Spend some of the time stopping in the towns along the Rhine for shopping and food. Explore a castle. Grab a bottle of dry riesling wine. Not the sweet crap you find around here--and if you don't like that stuff, don't let it dissuade you from trying a glass of dry riesling. One town worth stopping in is Rudesheim. Take the cable car ride to up above the town and over the vineyards. It gives a really great view of the area.

If you get up to Koblenz, consider switching rivers and following the roads along the Mosel River. The Mosel is less touristy and maybe even more beautiful.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Re: Offenbach and Frankfurt suggestions

Postby Jademan7 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:28 pm

Thanks this is great. I'll pass this along to my friends who live there as a possible itinerary. They'll have a car so this sounds perfect. Thanks again.
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Return to Travel