MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Light Drizzle
Collapse Photo Bar

Nar Bar?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Nar Bar?

Postby markkay » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:50 pm

I've been checking out rocktownhall.com and a former member of the Dead Milkman posted something there with a link to a tour diary that recalls a visit to the Nar Bar in Nov. 1986. See here, if curious, http://www.deadmilkmen.com/tourstories/ ... 00154.html

Where was the Nar Bar? What happened to it? Why was it called the Nar Bar? Just curious.
markkay
Forum Addict

Re: Nar Bar?

Postby Marvell » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Coincidentally enough, I met the former owner of the Nar Bar a couple weekends ago when I was hosting the Mickey's open mike. He was kind of trashed, but nice; I don't remember his name, because I have some kind of psychological block regarding names - I can barely remember my own.

The physical space itself was taken over by A Room of One's Own, which used to be half the size it is now; they just bashed in the wall between the two storefronts and expanded into the old space.

It was a number of other entertainment venues both before and after its Nar Bar incarnation.

Apparently they used to have a Grateful Dead bootleg night - which, for obvious reasons, I never attended. The only show I can say for sure I went to there was Grant Hart and the Nova Mob, who I saw there in the winter of '89.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Zombeatles_Fan » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:45 pm

His name is Nar. He's a local character. Let's see. When the Wallets played there, it was called Wally Gator's, wasn't that it? Help me, old rockers... :twisted:
Zombeatles_Fan
Forum Addict

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:02 pm

Zombeatles_Fan wrote:His name is Nar. He's a local character. Let's see. When the Wallets played there, it was called Wally Gator's, wasn't that it? Help me, old rockers... :twisted:

Wally Gator's was below Cue-Nique on Gorham.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:21 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
Zombeatles_Fan wrote:His name is Nar. He's a local character. Let's see. When the Wallets played there, it was called Wally Gator's, wasn't that it? Help me, old rockers... :twisted:

Wally Gator's was below Cue-Nique on Gorham.

Many years before that it was Mothertuckers. I saw Howlin' Wolf perform there.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Scotty » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:15 pm

Marvell wrote: I don't remember his name.

Tim Narowitz...
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Ducatista » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Marvell wrote:It was a number of other entertainment venues both before and after its Nar Bar incarnation.

It was already the Nar Bar when I started going there in '85. I think it had been the Green Dragon before that—or something Green-y and/or Dragon-y. After NB it was the Latin Club. I liked playing there, except for having to move the pool table off the stage. GodDAMN, a pool table is heavy.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:47 pm

I believe The Dragonwood Pub was one it's former incarnations. Clyde Stubblefield played there with "Tina and the Tigers"...
dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:15 am

The Wallets played my high school's homecoming. Just sayin'.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Vog » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:38 pm

The Replacements played the Dragonwood Pub at least once. I still have a flyer for the show, which Sometimes Y opened. Wally Ingram was the Y's drummer. He went on to play with Timbuk 3, Sheryl Crow and Bonnie Raitt. Wally Gator's was previously El Tejon.
Vog

Return to Madison Music