MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

PS3 Repair

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

PS3 Repair

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:04 am

it overheats. Needs a new application of thermal paste on the processor. Who/Where should I have this done? I'm looking for cheap. A few weeks ago I found a place that did it for $50 plus shipping one way. Now that seems to be off my google search. Anybody do this locally? Shouldn't be too big of a job from what I read but still not wanting to take a stab at it myself.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: PS3 Repair

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:57 pm

Did you ever get it fixed?

I ended up having to do this.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:59 pm

I found a local guy on craigslist. He was a little slow but reasonably priced. He fixed the overheating issue but turned out I was also a few days away from needing a new Blu-Ray drive. So.... I traded it in to Pre-Played and bought a PS3 slim.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:15 pm

fisticuffs wrote:I found a local guy on craigslist. He was a little slow but reasonably priced. He fixed the overheating issue but turned out I was also a few days away from needing a new Blu-Ray drive. So.... I traded it in to Pre-Played and bought a PS3 slim.

Was your unit the beefy first gen model?

How are you liking the slim? My 2nd gen 40G is starting to get a little noisy when I slip it BDs. I've been eyeballing a slim to be my main unit and thinking of retiring my current one to the bedroom.

But I just fucking KNOW as soon as I buy it they're gonna drop the price or introduce a beefier, slimmer, sleeker model with quadruple the hard drive!

God damn triple-dippin' bastards.

:evil:
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:20 pm

If your PS3 works I'd say stick with it or bail before it fails and is worthless. The slim isn't going anywhere any time soon.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:21 pm

FYI I had the first gen 60GB which is well known to fail. Your 40GB could go the distance for all I know. If you had that original one I'd say trade it in now.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Remember_Me wrote:But I just fucking KNOW as soon as I buy it they're gonna drop the price or introduce a beefier, slimmer, sleeker model with quadruple the hard drive!

Sony just did, albeit at first just in Japan:
http://www.dailytech.com/New+PS3+White+ ... e18941.htm
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:00 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:But I just fucking KNOW as soon as I buy it they're gonna drop the price or introduce a beefier, slimmer, sleeker model with quadruple the hard drive!

Sony just did, albeit at first just in Japan:
http://www.dailytech.com/New+PS3+White+ ... e18941.htm

I knew it!

I think I'll just run the one I have into the ground and then worry about it. Would be nice to have it in the bedroom though. We have this really slow and clunky BD player in there now. (plus no Warhawk!)

Oh well, I'll have the DirecTV whole home DVRs next week and it'll be so nice to have the stuff from the living room and kitchen DVRs available in the bedroom too. Right now, it's mostly all the garbage she watches that's on the bedroom DVR.

I wish my PS3 didn't need to have the Netflix disc in it to stream. I had 6 months of Gold membership for my 360 Elite and it was great not having to swap discs all the time. But once Sony teamed up with Netflix the Gold wasn't worth it any more.

I hope the next gen PS3s don't need the actual discs.

Life is so rough!

:P
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games