MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Woodman's East Parking Lot

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Woodman's East Parking Lot

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:43 am

I'm curious to see if anyone else avoids shopping at Woodman's in the evening because of the shady parking lot. It seems that I read about a theft or mugging in this parking lot quite often.

Since there doesn't appear to be any security force, people are free to sit in the parking lot or even in the entrance/exit to watch for potential victims. It seems if you put a couple rent-a-cops in a golf cart, you could keep these muggers from blatantly staking out the parking lot.

Doesn't a store the size of Woodman's, operating 24 hours a day, have a moral obligation to have some kind of security presence?
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Re: Woodman's East Parking Lot

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:04 am

I don't avoid Woodman's in the evening, but then I've never heard of parking lot prowler activity there either. Come to think of it, I was accosted there once, but that was a nice gal from work.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby wack wack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:11 am

I won't go to Woodman's before 11pm; there are too many people inside before that. I've never had any problems or seen anything suspicious... but I'm a big guy, usually dressed in black, people tend to look and move away when I appear.

Hmmm... I hope I'm not the guy you're worrying about!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 am

wack wack wrote:I won't go to Woodman's before 11pm; there are too many people inside before that. I've never had any problems or seen anything suspicious... but I'm a big guy, usually dressed in black, people tend to look and move away when I appear.

Hmmm... I hope I'm not the guy you're worrying about!

I would normally welcome the opportunity for someone to try to mug me, but with the arrival of my little guy 33 days ago, my perspective has changed from wanting to be an amatuer superhero to one of avoiding confrontation. I can't do half of my ninja moves with a Baby Bjorn strapped on.
As a new dad, I now seem to constantly be on the look out for potential issues, and that parking lot seems to have a lot of red flags now. There are way too many people loitering in the parking lot. There are plenty of places to stake out people as they come and go. The lighting is poor. And, most importantly, there is no security.

The last story I read about regarding a mugging related to the East Woodman's parking lot went something like this: Guy watches old lady uses ATM inside the store, follows her to her car, follows her home, walks up to her in her driveway with some bullshit story, snags her fanny pack.

The part where I feel Woodman's is culpable is that by allowing people to sit in parked cars or loiter within the store, they are enabling some of these crimes. In the case of the fanny-packed old lady, a security presence might have kept the ATM from being stalked out.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:57 am

Screw Woodman's in general. I absolutely loath going there. It seems that upon passing through the front doors, normally sane and reasonably intelligent people somehow devolve into drooling mouth-breathers who can barely operate a shopping cart.

The produce sucks, the meat is scary. Sure, they have decent prices on dry goods, but I don't find any savings worth the stress of being constantly annoyed. What's with the corrugated floors? I mean, even pushing a cart in the that hellhole is completely unpleasant. Is the poor design of the store on purpose? Or did they just find random building material and slap it together?

I don't think there is any other place in the city where you can find more people wearing jackets that advertise their favorite truck/racecar/football team than at Woodman's.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:17 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:
The part where I feel Woodman's is culpable is that by allowing people to sit in parked cars or loiter within the store, they are enabling some of these crimes. In the case of the fanny-packed old lady, a security presence might have kept the ATM from being stalked out.

So, say you're a security agent and you notice someone is sitting in a car - you knock on the window and tell them "no loitering" and they say "I'm waiting for someone who's inside getting something". What do you do then? Tell them to leave?

I thought that Woodman's East did have a security person that works at night, but regardless, a person like that would have a hard time chasing away people sitting in cars.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:31 am

rrnate wrote:So, say you're a security agent and you notice someone is sitting in a car - you knock on the window and tell them "no loitering" and they say "I'm waiting for someone who's inside getting something". What do you do then? Tell them to leave?

I thought that Woodman's East did have a security person that works at night, but regardless, a person like that would have a hard time chasing away people sitting in cars.

Have you been to an airport recently?
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:32 am

Crockett wrote:
rrnate wrote:So, say you're a security agent and you notice someone is sitting in a car - you knock on the window and tell them "no loitering" and they say "I'm waiting for someone who's inside getting something". What do you do then? Tell them to leave?

Have you been to an airport recently?

Yes, and I noted how different it was than a grocery store. Have you?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:33 am

rrnate wrote:Yes, and I noted how different it was than a grocery store. Have you?

Loitering is loitering, regardless of where you are.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:38 am

Produce at Woodman's is oh so awful and has been for years and years. I'm not much of a cook though, and I guess I'm a creature of habit. I know Woodman's, and there is nothing worse than going grocery shopping and not knowing where things are. Thumbs up on their liquor department.

In any case, I think the real crime here is this woman was wearing a fanny pack.
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby admin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 am

Pogoagogo wrote:I don't think there is any other place in the city where you can find more people wearing jackets that advertise their favorite truck/racecar/football team than at Woodman's.

As opposed to Copp's, where every day is a freakin' fashion show.

Woodman's is cheap for a reason: It's essentially a warehouse with cashiers up front. The safety issues are of concern, mainly because they could probably be addressed pretty easily, especially at night. But at the same time, is it really that different from being on Langdon Street at night? It's perfectly safe, provided you're paying attention to what's going on around you. I mean, I look around when I'm using the ATM at Hilldale.
admin
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:47 am

Crockett wrote:
rrnate wrote:Yes, and I noted how different it was than a grocery store. Have you?

Loitering is loitering, regardless of where you are.

So you don't want to compare a grocery store parking lot to an airport parking lot anymore? OK.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:17 pm

I can't stand their parking lot for another reason, the direction of their parking aisles. I can't think of any large business that has them facing that direction.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:27 pm

juanton wrote:I can't stand their parking lot for another reason, the direction of their parking aisles. I can't think of any large business that has them facing that direction.

When I saw the subject line, I thought that's what this thread was going to be about.

At least the lot nearest the liquor store entrance is better laid out.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:48 pm

We've heard how many stories about problems there. Maybe I've heard a couple at best. I've heard of more problems with garage break-ins around the southwest suburby part of town than I do problems at Woodman's east. Maybe they could use a security agency or something, but I haven't been deterred from going there.

Maybe I'm just a bad ass. :D
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe