MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Woodman's East Parking Lot

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: Woodman's East Parking Lot

Postby Scotty » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:56 pm

El Rancho on the corner of University and Farley.

Millin's (sp) Market on Monroe and the corner of Bedford and Main.
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:50 pm

gargantua wrote:There used to be a Kroger store at the East Side shopping center as well.

I don't recall there being any concerns about parking lot security. Perhaps it was before crime was invented.

Here it is in 1955. The Walgreen's stands there now.

Parking lot crime at this location in the 50s and 60s? Probably not. Today? Well, you be the judge.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=36389
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Scotty » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:03 pm

I would bet most of the cars in the photo had the key in the ignition.

Remember the PSA's in the early to mid 60's? Lock your car, take your keys.
Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:51 pm

Scotty wrote:El Rancho on the corner of University and Farley.
I remember El Rancho in the 70s and early 80s, but I didn't live near enough to shop there. I only drove by it.

Arthur Vinje has a 1948 photo of "20th Century Market" at that location. Perhaps this was the first incarnation of the store we remember as El Rancho. Today it is the shopping center known as "Lake Point Commons".
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=34442
Scotty wrote:Millin's (sp) Market on Monroe and the corner of Bedford and Main.

I went to the Monroe St store once or twice when I lived on Monroe St in 1983. Ken Kopps was a closer walk for me.
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Scotty wrote:I would bet most of the cars in the photo had the key in the ignition.

Remember the PSA's in the early to mid 60's? Lock your car, take your keys.

I do remember that PSA. It was only later in the 70s (when I could drive) that I fully understood how vulnerable those older cars were.

I had a '62 Chevy, and you could turn the ignition key (on the dash) to 4 positions: acc, lock, off, on. You could turn the car off by turning the key to "off". The ignition key hole had a grip that you could pinch with your fingers. If the car had been turned off by turning the key to "off" and not all the way to "lock", the grip would allow you to start the car without a key. You could even remove the key while the engine was running, and then use the grip to turn it to "off" (I think you needed the key to actually turn it all the way to "lock"). If the key had been turned all the way to the "lock" position, you needed the key to start the car. If it was just turned to "off" (and the key removed) you didn't even need a key to start the car.

Probably why the PSA said "lock your car".
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:25 pm

The PSA said: Don't help a good boy go bad. Take your keys!

That one still makes me giggle.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:04 am

Here's my contribution: Food Country, corner of Monona Dr. & Cottage grove Rd. My first post-high school employer.

Also: Hi-Lo, today the Jenifer Street market. Not sure about the name, maybe Hi quality Low price?? Wouldn't work today..
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby frozenCow » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:55 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Here's my contribution: Food Country, corner of Monona Dr. & Cottage grove Rd. My first post-high school employer.

That is the store I remember as C & P.

My parents always talked about it starting out as a vegetable stand (sometime in the 30s or 40s) that by the early 50s had grown into a conglomeration of added-on store buildings. My folks said the initials were for two partners (Carl and Paul, or Carl and Peter, something like that).

By the late 50s/early 60s those earlier buildings had been replaced by the full fledged supermarket that I remember shopping at in the 60s and 70s. There was a Rennebohm Drug Store, the C & P Grocery Store, the C & P Garden Center, and across Cottage Grove Rd was the C & P Plaza with more retail stores. Busse St ran all the way through to Cottage Grove Rd.

Today, the Walgreen's on the corner of Monona Dr and Cottage Grove Rd stands where Rennebohm's and the C & P Grocery Store once stood. Both Renne’s and the grocery store faced CG Rd with Renne's on the Monona Drive side. The original C & P Garden Center occupied the lot on the east side of the corner of Busse St and CG Rd (closer to CG Rd than the grocery store).

In the mid 70s they blocked off Busse St, tore down the original garden center, and built a new Rennebohm Drug Store and C & P Garden Center. I can't remember what happened to the "old" Rennebohm's, but I think the grocery store expanded into there. I remember all of these stores still being in operation in the late 70s. I kind of lost track of when they all closed.

Today the Madison Public Library’s Pinney Branch occupies the "new" Rennebohm's, and the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store occupies the "new" garden center.

I can't find any pictures of the grocery store I remember, but this Angus McVicar photo shows the corner of Monona Dr & Cottage Grove Rd before C & P in 1933. This is looking north up Monona Dr (as it turns into Atwood Ave), CG Rd is on the right. Note the Walterscheit farm (house, barn, and outhouse) in the background. I recall snoqueen mentioning the Walterscheit farm in past threads.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=5220

Here is an Angus McVicar photo of the same site in 1947. The photographer has his back to CG Rd, facing north. Monona Dr / Atwood Ave is running along the left side. I wish McVicar had also taken photos of the vegetable stand or store that C & P had (and maybe he did), but I think he was taking these photos for Borden.
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=30605

This 1979 photo was taken inside the “new” Rennebohm’s. This is now the Pinney Branch library. Note the view through the window of the C & P Plaza stores and the Lake Edge Bar (now the Jade Monkey) across the street. This scene causes me to pine for the Rennebohm's number nine breakfast.
Imagehttp://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=34005
frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby gemini child » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:18 pm

gemini child

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 pm

The roof of the C&P grocery caved in due to a heavy snowfall sometime in the 70's. I think that was the end of it, though I'm not 100% sure. I guess all those cobbled-together produce stands weren't built too well. People around here still miss the grocery store, by the way. Woodman's just doesn't cut it.

I researched the Walterscheit farm history a few years ago when I moved to this area from downtown. It was quite a big farm for the time -- the railroad tracks cut through the northwest corner of it and a little triangle of the farm extended clear to where Hargrove Street is now. I have been trying to find topographical maps from the farm era to determine the extent of wetland versus dry land at that time, because I'm trying to figure out whether my yard sits on undisturbed soil or on a cut-off hilltop. I haven't found the right map yet.

There's an intact Indian mound on the lake side of Monona Dr/Cottage Grove Road in the same area. It's in between two apartment buildings in about the 4200 block. It's fairly linear in shape, and has been determined to point right at the sunset on the equinox. You can see it from the sidewalk if you know what you're looking for. It's the lone survivor of a larger group of mounds, the rest of which were destroyed when the condos and apartments were built.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:24 pm

Nice old pictures but back to topic.

I have lived in Madison for over 30 years and have never felt it was safe to be alone on the streets after dark. Maybe it's because I grew up in Milwaukee.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby 1badbadger » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:51 am

frozencow, the C & P on the corner of Cottage Grove Rd and Monona/Atwood that you mentioned DID absorb the drug store at one point, and became the produce section and deli area. After the roof collapse due to snow, it was sold and re-built and opened as Markgraf's Food Centre, although the C & P Shopping Center sign remained in the corner of the parking lot. (C & P stood for Carl and Paul who were brothers). During the time the store was under construction to repair the roof, Woodman's opened on the east side.

I remember the hillclimbs on the east side too. It wasn't easy to get to the top on a mini bike, and getting 3/4 of the way up and running out of steam always made things interesting! Wiping out made things easy...but if you found yourself near the top at a dead stop with the bike facing the top of the hill, you needed to make a decision!
1badbadger

Previous

Return to Town Vibe