MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

biggest rip off in madison?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: biggest rip off in madison?

Postby coldspotter » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:07 pm

greeneyedlady wrote:I'm with you on the salted pecans, but WTF is up with having no whipped cream in the building? Coldspotter, having worked there, do you know the reason for this? I can't possibly think of a good one. :wink:

I really don't know about the whipped cream. I don't think they ever had it to begin with, but I have no idea why.
coldspotter

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:26 pm

You want whipped cream on ice cream? Weird.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:You want whipped cream on ice cream? Weird.

I'm from New England. Hot fudge sundaes are ice cream, hot fudge, whipped cream, and a cherry. Nuts are optional but whipped cream is as mandatory as the hot fudge.
I must not have ordered one at Michael's because I didn't know they didn't have whipped cream.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby granolagirl » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:09 pm

I agree on all counts. I prefer ice cream to custard, but prefer Culver's over Michael's.

A sundae is a sundae ONLY if it comes with whipped cream, nuts and a cherry. And hot fudge or strawberries or whatever. I once ordered a sundae at Michael's and asked why no whipped cream. The lady replied that they don't have whipped cream because it makes the custard taste sour. I'd like to be the judge of that.
granolagirl

Postby rrnate » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 pm

You people eat too much ice cream.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby greeneyedlady » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:48 pm

by snoqueen » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

You want whipped cream on ice cream? Weird.

On a sundae? Hells yeah!

However, I finally bought my own ice cream maker this weekend, so Michael's now has some competition (within my house). On my list of flavors to make is something that approximates their Viva Las Vegas sundae--vanilla with bananas, fudge, and peanut butter.

I might even put some whipped cream on top of that.
greeneyedlady

Postby kimm » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:15 am

Any of the popular cupcake shops (Daisy, Bloom, even Clausens). I've hit a lot of cupcake shops during my travels, and have had some great BIG cupcakes for the same price as the Madison offerings. As much as I love cupcakes, $2.50-2.75 per cupcake is too steep for me to feel ok about.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:40 am

Spent almost $10 on a cherry float and a small turtle sundae last night at Michael's. The turtle was disappointing, and I think spelled doom for any future expenditures on non-float items on my part.

But the cherry float is wonderful. Looks like Michael's has acquired the Perry's Cherry soda name/recipe, and is now bottling it with help from Sprecher. The $3.59 special price (normally .70 more) is good enough, and appears to now include the entire bottle of soda. This means enough soda for two floats, pretty much. Good stuff, and maybe the only bargain to be had there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:50 pm

I will somewhat recant my Daisy cost issue. Their $3.00 cupcakes have "beefed up" in terms of ingredients and creativity. Worth the $3.00. The standard cupcakes? Meh, $2 would be more reasonable in my estimation.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Kovalic » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:05 pm

"Cupcakerie" is a word I wish had never entered the lexicon...
Kovalic

Postby Osso Muriendo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:55 pm

I worked at the Monroe Micheals for 4 yrs. And I'm curious where he got his information about the owners. I know the company is officially called John Michaels inc. But the guy running the show is Michael Dix and his partner is Perry.
The custard is much better than culver's but let's be honest the prices are ridiculous. The last couple of years i worked there i was a shift manager and i was responsible for managing overhead and such, let's just say that a very large percentage of every dollar that goes in there is profit.

I used to like and respect Michael and Perry but the last two years i worked there it became obvious that they were more interested in squeezing every last dollar out of the place in the short term than in maintaining customer loyalty in the community.
Sad cuz the custard really is good stuff
Osso Muriendo

Postby Petro » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:08 am

Osso Muriendo wrote:And I'm curious where he got his information about the owners.

<Oprah>Everyone wins a car!</Oprah>

From ilovemichaels.com

...He and his partner John Kuehl developed a business plan, leased the building, and worked day and night to get the store operational....

John passed away September 1, 1993 but his memory will live forever in those who knew and loved him.

In April of 2000, Perry McCourtney joined the company focusing on the future vision of Michael's in addition to the day-to-day operations.

Thanks, google!
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Osso Muriendo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:03 am

touche. Kuehl was a little before my time.
Osso Muriendo

Postby Comrade » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:01 am

Well, if you must know, then the biggest rip off in Madison is not $3 and change for some ice cream. The biggest rip off by far is property taxes. You cannot avoid them, and you have no voice over how that money is used.

Seriously, they are much higher than surrounding areas and offer no extra or better services for your bill. JMHO.
Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:06 am

Comrade wrote:Well, if you must know, then the biggest rip off in Madison is not $3 and change for some ice cream. The biggest rip off by far is property taxes. You cannot avoid them, and you have no voice over how that money is used.

Seriously, they are much higher than surrounding areas and offer no extra or better services for your bill. JMHO.

Cry me a river in the appropriate forum section. This is Eats Talk & Food News.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues