MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

Live Show Not to Be Missed?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Live Show Not to Be Missed?

Postby john_titor » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Looking for suggestions on a band that gets the house jumping. Can you recommend a group that comes through Madison with some regularity?

I read through the Hype Exchange and try to listen to the bands mentioned on-line, but I am sure there are some groups which don't translate their awesomeness and stage presence via mp3.

tia
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Live Show Not to Be Missed?

Postby Walter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:35 pm

I don't know what regularity means for you...Hey-O...

1) The Safes from Chicago. They might swing through here in the fall or out of the blue. They are freaking amazing, and they usually play with #2.

2) The Motorz. The gold standard. Bar none. Satisfaction guaranteed.

3) The Brown Derby. Nearly every Wednesday at the Crystal Corner. Free. Fun. Frisky. Old Style Country that used to come out of single speaker pick'em up truck AM radios. One night, THAT meat raffle IS going to happen.

4) The Midwest Beat. Hooky. Harmony. Exuberanty. A little bit country/a little bit rock and roll/a little bit 60s pop. Swell eggs to boot.

5) The August Teens. Power. Pop. POWER POP! A mighty good lookin' drummer...he's single, ladies and has a job. WIN.

6) Knuckel Drager. If you don't like outrageously loud masked psycho super surf music, I don't want to know you, commie.

My six cents worth.

Oh, and the Hussy. Marco Pogo told me they are his favorite band. Really. So that's the seal of awesomeness right there, Tarzan.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:46 am

Local Bands:
The Blueheels put on a helluva live show - probably my favorite of all local groups. I've never had a bad time at a show by the Midwest Beat or the August Teens either. Knuckle Drager is pretty awesome but LOUD - the last time I saw them play my ears rang for a day. I like Cyn Cyn and the Pons and Sleeping in the Aviary as well, but they might not be for everyone.

National Touring Acts:
I always try to catch Backyard Tire Fire when they come through town. They're playing the Majestic in September with Juniper Tar, a Milwaukee band that also puts on a good show.

Drive-by Truckers - one of the best live shows ever. They also are playing the Majestic in Sept.

I'm a huge fan of the Hold Steady, and I think their live sets are always epic.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:05 pm

The Drunk Drivers are pretty fab.

The Carolina Chocolate Drops will be at the Orton Park Festival, and if you miss them then yer a gol' durn fool.

And if The Van Wilders come back bring all your friends. They are whatever is beyond awesome.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby defactobrigade » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:34 am

john_titor wrote:Looking for suggestions on a band that gets the house jumping. Can you recommend a group that comes through Madison with some regularity?

I read through the Hype Exchange and try to listen to the bands mentioned on-line, but I am sure there are some groups which don't translate their awesomeness and stage presence via mp3.

tia

a few of those bands are playing next saturday...chopperfest 3.
Midwest Beat, The Hussy, Runners Up, Off-Days, White Faces.
more self promotion.
FREE show at Mickeys. not to be missed.
defactobrigade
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Madison Music