MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Shirley Sherrod

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Shirley Sherrod

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:21 pm

Once again, Fox News broke a story edited and out of context to make it seem like someone was doing something wrong. Once again, the government swallowed it hook line and sinker and took some very public steps without checking or researching any of it.

Now every government agency head is backpedaling and every Fox pundit is having a wonderful time.

The conservatives can yelp about all sorts of things but it's stuff like this that make me want to give the current administration a Jethro Gibbs slap to the back of the head and ask "What the hell's WRONG with you? How many times does it take?"
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shirley Sherrod

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:24 pm

Totally agree. How many times (and how many years) does it take for smart people to realize they can't believe anything Fox "News" or slimes like Andrew Breitbart have to say. The idea that the White House (and even the NAACP) would automatically take this and run with it is appalling.

If I were Shirley Sherrod, I would get myself an attorney and seriously pursue slander charges. This was out and out character assassination, the result being having a woman tossed out of her job who has done absolutely nothing wrong.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:23 pm

Cripes. It's like the guy/gal who keeps hoping the idiot duochebag they've got a crush on will finally ask them to the dance. Meanwhile ignoring the person who's right next to them who already digs 'em.

Hey whitehouse! Fox News is NEVER gonna ask you to the prom. Stop giving a shit what they say. Seriously. Pay some fucking attention to the people who elected you.

I wish the WH would react this quickly when a liberal news group complained. It's not a big deal if Fox and their viewers don't like something Obama does, they're never gonna support him anyway and I wish the WH would stop acting like they can win 'em over.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:12 pm

Loved the ACORN bit. Too bad ABC/CBS/NBC/NYT didn't have the balls to do it.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:32 pm

Yes, the Obama administration and the NAACP are both incredibly stupid for swallowing the bait.

But to present this stupid story as fact? I think it is grounds for pulling the Fox News FCC license. We own the airwaves, and they are used by networks with the permission of us, the owners. Fox has shown again and again that they are nothing more than a propaganda machine for the reactionaries in this country, and there is no reasonable excuse to let them continue.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:02 pm

Galoot wrote:Yes, the Obama administration and the NAACP are both incredibly stupid for swallowing the bait.

But to present this stupid story as fact? I think it is grounds for pulling the Fox News FCC license. We own the airwaves, and they are used by networks with the permission of us, the owners. Fox has shown again and again that they are nothing more than a propaganda machine for the reactionaries in this country, and there is no reasonable excuse to let them continue.

I am no fan of FoxNews and they're handling of this "story" was ridiculous but cripes, you need to go read the first amendment again.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Loved the ACORN bit. Too bad ABC/CBS/NBC/NYT didn't have the balls to do it.

Yeah, I got to admit that one has stood the test of time. There are still people running around who think that guy actually did walk into an acorn office dressed like a cartoon pimp and uncovered something illegal.

But what do you mean by that "have the balls" remark? All those networks have situation comedies and fiction shows. I don't know if the NYT has a comics page.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:32 am

Galoot wrote:But to present this stupid story as fact? I think it is grounds for pulling the Fox News FCC license. We own the airwaves, and they are used by networks with the permission of us, the owners. Fox has shown again and again that they are nothing more than a propaganda machine for the reactionaries in this country, and there is no reasonable excuse to let them continue.

Cable is not broadcast over the public airwaves (which aren't public anymore, anyway), so is not subject to the same FCC rules. Fox also won the right to lie in broadcasts in a lawsuit.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby HOMOsapien » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:05 am

BigGovernment caught ACORN red handed and exposed its corruption and racism for the world to see. I'm glad ACORN was taken out, they deserved it. The new media did its job correctly in this case. The MSM never cared.

This time, Breitbart wasn't cautious enough. BigGovernment's portrayal of events simply weren't accurate, enough. This sequence of info-events weren't properly vetted enough to make it out of the internet into the MSM. But, the Fox propaganda network amplified the misleading feed anyway. Why? This attack backfired.

In this day and age there is ideological media and it will go after its enemies, whether they are people or entities. Public figures know this. But, how powerful are obviously ridiculous sensational internet memes anyway? A lot of what goes on on the internet doesn't hold a lot of weight under minimal levels of scrutiny placed upon it by the real world. Therefore the sensation can only survive on the internet where most info-consumers simply seek what they already agree with rather than seek out the truth, which takes a lot of work. Sorry folks, objectivity is in short supply, it simply doesn't sell well at this point in time. It's hard for rationality and objectivity to compete with sensationalism's distinct human advantage of sappy emotional appeal.

The feminist left has been playing the sensational emotional appeal narrative for decades. They are hardly in the position to wine about the effects of their own crafts. Fox is simply deploying a proven left feminist MO that is effective. Why wouldn't they? It's political to say they can't and shouldn't, but a baseless position in the practical real world sense.
HOMOsapien

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:06 am

BigGovernment caught ACORN red handed and exposed its corruption and racism for the world to see. I'm glad ACORN was taken out, they deserved it. The new media did its job correctly in this case. The MSM never cared.

Bullshit.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:16 am

fisticuffs wrote:

Bullshit.

Well now, we got all those people who were arraigned on corruption charges, starting with...

Cripes. I forget. Who got charged?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:12 am

Galoot wrote:I think it is grounds for pulling the Fox News FCC license. We own the airwaves, and they are used by networks with the permission of us, the owners. Fox has shown again and again that they are nothing more than a propaganda machine for the reactionaries in this country, and there is no reasonable excuse to let them continue.

Not to mention that Fox News is cable. No "airwaves."
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:19 am

Not to mention that Fox News is cable. No "airwaves."

So they are allowed to lie constantly. Thanks for the update Blaska. If you had read the thread you'd have noticed that was pointed out some time ago.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:10 pm

When the dust settles, Andrew Breitbart and FoxNews are still hate mongers and race baiters, who are pissed that there's a black man in the white house.

Keep up the good work, douchebags.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Talon Newsman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:24 pm

HeyZeus wrote:When the dust settles, Andrew Breitbart and FoxNews are still hate mongers and race baiters, who are pissed that there's a black man in the white house.

Keep up the good work, douchebags.

Couldn't it just be a coincidence that Breitbart always goes after black organizations?
Talon Newsman
Forum Addict

Next

Return to National Politics & Government