MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, October 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Considering cancelling cable TV

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Considering cancelling cable TV

Postby Beaver » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:08 am

I could save over $1,000/yr if I cut my Charter cable tv bill. Instead I could watch free broadcast HDTV, free internet tv shows, and netflix dvd's for $9/month. I'm thinking about it. Have any of you cut the cable or dish?

You Don't Have to Pay for Cable TV
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/ar ... -a-article
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Considering cancelling cable TV

Postby Athena » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:28 am

Yep, I canceled cable a few years ago. I get 13 channels, three of which are PBS, but I do enjoy a good Frank Lloyd Wright documentary. I've also got TiVo which is connected to my netflix account so I can stream any movie they have directly to my TV. There are things I miss about cable - I don't get all the games anymore since I don't get ESPN, I don't get to watch the new shows like Mad Men or Dexter, and some shows never show up on DVD (Top Chef only has two seasons on DVD right now). But I do have a huge backlog of stuff to watch (Netflix has all of the Buffy TV series available streaming) so I can wait and rent what I want to see. I'm saving a lot of money each month and the picture quality is just as good with over the air HD signals as it is from cable.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:48 am

Beaver wrote:…and netflix dvd's for $9/month.

That same $9 membership gets you unlimited online viewing, which makes it a terrific bargain.

I got rid of cable almost 20 years ago. I miss it a little, sometimes.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Got rid of cable almost 10 years ago and never looked back. I am so happy with my DirecTV.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:56 pm

I built a homebrew DVR and do just fine with the broadcast channels, plus free streaming stuff from Hulu and the like ("Jersey Shore" on mtv.com was a highlight), Redbox or video store rentals and occasionally a streaming rental from Amazon.com. I was disappointed last week when I learned ABC wouldn't be broadcasting the British Open live, then relieved that I was able to watch it on espn3.com.

What I miss about cable is movie channels. Renting movies is fine, but watching movie channels I have discovered a lot of films I probably wouldn't have learned about otherwise.
Last edited by Kenneth Burns on Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:59 pm

The only reason we still have it is for UW men's basketball on the BT Network. If theres a way around that please let me know. (besides going to a bar or to the game...smartasses).
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:Got rid of cable almost 10 years ago and never looked back. I am so happy with my DirecTV.

Ditto.

Somebody up there loves us.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 pm

My God, cancel cable TV?

What's next, not buying a diamond ring for your significant other's engagement ring? Sure buying a diamond ring makes no sense at all other than to feed your mate's ego and get more blowjobs, and even though the BJs don't last for long...

What kind of commie pinko are youse that would cancel cable tv?

And not a diamond engagement ring?

Why do you hate America, Charter and De Beers?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:57 am

Beaver wrote: Instead I could watch free broadcast HDTV,

Good luck with that. You can join me in watching the new WONDERFUL digital broadcast tv, that comes in clear only when the weather is perfect and there aren't any planes on the flight path over my house. Letterman was just fantastic last night, at least the 25% of the show that I saw. And don't tell me to go buy a certain expensive antenna to go with the box I already bought. I shouldn't have to, it's free tv and it worked perfectly before. Before the dawn of digital and the ability to see every fucking blemish on your newscaster's mug.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:18 am

[quote="narcoleptish"Letterman was just fantastic last night, at least the 25% of the show that I saw.[/quote]

The irony is that's not that different than Charter...
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:33 am

Good one.

He's definitely an acquired taste, like mole sauce.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby greeneyedlady » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 am

I just got rid of Dish a couple weeks ago. We watch streaming Netflix instead, and some stuff on the computer. For the new season of Mad Men, I bought a season pass on iTunes and we hook the computer up to the TV. You can download the episode right after it's aired. It's way better, too, because there are no commercials.

I have found that having no Dish is the same as having no Facebook--once I ditched, I wondered how I ever found the time to use it.
greeneyedlady

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:59 am

We watched the fabulous "Paddle to Seattle" documentary on broadcast PBS last night, despite all the lightning and rain, and the HD was incredible. We've had a big ol' HD set in our house without cable for 1.5 years and some of the HD footage still blows me away.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 am

We cut the cable. It's been about a year now.

We bought an HD Homerun box to act as a network tuner for any computer in the house. Both TVs are connected to cheap Windows machines running Windows Media Center. I need a better remote though to navigate to content that is not easily integrated into WMC's menu system.

Between Hulu, Netflix, and the free digital over the air channels, we've been perfectly fine.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:50 am

I would love to quit cable. The only thing I can't figure out is how to get NFL games. I would not have access to over-the-air signals due to my location. Even if I moved, I would still need ESPN for Monday Night Football. Does anyone know how to legally get NFL games online? I would be willing to pay extra.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games