MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 40.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The $35 tablet PC

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

The $35 tablet PC

Postby rabble » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Not for me, thanks. I'll wait till the fifty dollar model comes out. I hear that one comes with usb ports and a solar charger.

Seriously, I love to hear things like this. Suck it, ipad.

There will always be the gotta have it crowd but the rest of us are going to be sitting in the park browsing, downloading, and readin free ebooks on our forty dollar machines.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The $35 tablet PC

Postby Galoot » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:32 pm

There's a key difference between the two devices. One actually exists as a real product. The other appears to be pure vaporware.

I'm no fan of the iPad at all, but it certainly seems to be popular.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:17 pm

It has the same basic functions as my Linux-based netbook except for the touch screen feature. And that's HUGE, because once you get the keyboard out of the way, manufacturing complexity has got to drop exponentially. Just think -- India is actually supporting education through technology. What a concept.

All these countries are going to pull so far ahead of us in the next decade it isn't funny.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:11 am

Galoot wrote:There's a key difference between the two devices. One actually exists as a real product. The other appears to be pure vaporware.

Wait six months. Maybe a year.
snoqueen wrote:All these countries are going to pull so far ahead of us in the next decade it isn't funny.

Yeah, but actually I do think it's amusing. :-) Our only real claims to fame right now are a massive military force and innovative technology, and both have challengers in the wings.

Well... I guess we also lead the world in obesity, waste, consumption per capita, and percentage of population imprisoned. I think we have a lock on all of those.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:45 am

Define popular.

Cargo shorts are popular. So are flip-flops. Same goes for those black, plastic backyard composters. I bet every yard on my block has one.

The iPad has sold well, relatively. But I haven't seen anyone using one on the bus yet, or even at Ancora.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:Define popular.

Cargo shorts are popular. So are flip-flops. Same goes for those black, plastic backyard composters. I bet every yard on my block has one.

The iPad has sold well, relatively. But I haven't seen anyone using one on the bus yet, or even at Ancora.

Apple sold over three million of them in the last quarter. That seems like it might fit the definition of "popular"
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:53 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Apple sold over three million of them in the last quarter. That seems like it might fit the definition of "popular"

So, should we assume your definition is "three million sold" no matter how many people there are who might buy one? ie if one sells three million of anything, it is popular. Is that correct?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:57 pm

rabble wrote:
snoqueen wrote:All these countries are going to pull so far ahead of us in the next decade it isn't funny.

Yeah, but actually I do think it's amusing. :-)

Good job on perpetuating the stereotype of the America hating liberal, rabble.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:07 pm

Average Joe wrote:
rabble wrote:

Yeah, but actually I do think it's amusing. :-)

Good job on perpetuating the stereotype of the America hating liberal, rabble.

This amuses me.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games