MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Your last five restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Your last five restaurants

Postby buckyor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:27 am

Last night- dinner at Ocean Grill. Really excellent, better than I had remembered.

Yesterday lunch- La Concha, Cubana torta. Been looking forward to this for months. Did not disappoint.

Friday lunch- fish fry at the Orpheum. No more bluegill, but the perch was pretty good.

Thursday dinner- Smoky's. Same as it ever was.

Looking to hit Magnus and the Cabana room before we leave.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:11 pm

jacs for brunch this morning - breakfast egg sandwich was too grilled buttery even for me, and that's saying something. breakfast frites, a combo of sweet and regular potatoes, was delish.

cafe porta alba for lunch yesterday - buffalo mozzarella pizza very nice but for some reason i think i enjoyed their food more when they were at their original location.

laredo's fitchburg for dinner friday night - i like this laredo's best, with the tableside guacamole and the nice salads. big fan of their parilla.

tai's asian bistro for dinner thursday night - new place opened up next to copps on whitney way. not great but cheaper than the joint in hilldale and much bigger portions. with the 20% off deal they are running we wound up with a ton of decent to middling chinese food. the leftovers were not bad at all. very good sturdy wonton soup as opposed to almost every other place in town.

panera on university for breakfast thursday morning - big fan of their egg souffles. my fave is the spinach and bacon variety.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:26 pm

Forgot to mention the Roman Candle in Middleton Wednesday night. It apparently opened up just after I moved from that neighborhood. Really liked the pizza. Maybe not the absolute best in town, but it makes the team photo.

Just had brunch/lunch at Coopers. Good egg scramble; the tuna nicoise sammy was interesting.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:46 am

last 5 would be tough.

La Mestiza
Adlers
Milios
Glass Nickle Pizza
and....
can't remember.
okiebp

Postby BrianV66 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:30 am

Alchemy
Glass Nickel (2 X)
Marigold
Bunky's
Laredo's
BrianV66

Postby greeneyedlady » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:49 pm

1. Roots in Milwaukee
2. Himal Chuli
3. Ha Long Bay
4. Glass Nickel
5. Daisy Cafe
(6. is King & Mane, in case Milwaukee restaurants don't count!) :D
greeneyedlady

Postby wallrock » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:37 pm

Byrd's Middleton for a late lunch on Sunday. I was in the middle of moving and I was mostly interested in the Hopalicious. I had the chicken "cordon bleu" sandwich, which was just a grilled chicken breast with ham & Swiss. Pretty tasty all in all, and I took the homemade chips home and ate them for dinner.

Vintage Brewing - I met a couple of friends out for dinner Saturday night. We tried the Firecracker appetizer - spicy bean taquitos with guac - and I had their Derby ESB. Both were very good, and I was almost full by the time my fish tacos came. The tacos were the fried tilapia variety, with a tasty salsa served with a side of rice & beans (which I didn't try).

Draft House - I met up with my father for dinner last week. He was running late and I'd skipped lunch, so I got an order of the hot wings to tide me over while waiting for him. I also had the Cuban sandwich and a couple of Lake Louie Arena Premiums. Both were quite enjoyable.

Aquila Real Mexican - I stopped in for lunch last week and had a steak burrito and a Mandarina Jarritos. It was a good lunch, as always. I highly recommend this place if you're ever in Prairie du Sac.

Taj - I had the chicken vindaloo and a Taj Mahal lager. I could have bumped the spiciness up a notch, but overall I really enjoyed the vindaloo. It wasn't all chiles and oil - the curry had excellent flavor and the perfect combination of chicken and potatoes.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Antojitos el Toril - Lunched on the chicken tacos (cilantro & onions) w/ a side of rice and beans and a Mexicoke. This is my neighborhood taquería and I'm damn glad it's stuck around.

Weary Traveler - Reuben w/ a cup of the vegan chili.

Prairie Diner - Breakfast at Sun Prairie's truest greasy spoon. First time I'd been there since the smoking ban went into effect. Food was the same but the crowd maybe a tad surlier than usual.

Burrito Drive - Tried the chicken adobo burrito. Adobolicious.

Porky Pine Pete's - My second trip, for lunch this time. Had a half-slab of ribs because I was still in dry rub withdrawal from my first visit a couple of weeks earlier. Damn!
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Troy Thiel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Saturday Night; Oakland Gyros in Milwaukee...simply awesome,
prior to that Lunch at Public Market Sushi bar..yum, great space and vibe on a busy saturday...Alchemy for Fish Fry Friday...Amanda and the crew rockin it...Wednesday night burger at Mickeys...the Delux....whoa....Tuesday Night Pizza at Harmony....hard to lose weight eating like this!
Troy Thiel
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews