MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

4 Year Old Cheeseburger

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

4 Year Old Cheeseburger

Postby mrb2563 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 am

This video will make you race to the nearest fast food restaurant. If you think it is just McDonald's, think about every restaurant that does not use fresh meat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4 ... rIpMVfyv6g
mrb2563

Re: 4 Year Old Cheeseburger

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:12 am

I know that guy from Supersize Me put some Macburgers inside glass jars and within months they were covered in mold and were continuing to break down.

I steer way clear of fast food these days except for a few times a year when I feel self-destructive, but to be fair I think what she's doing should more properly be called mummification than proof of non-food.

Sure, there's preservatives and probably a whole lot more preservatives than they're telling us about, but it's possible to make real food dry out so suddenly that it doesn't mold up if you keep it away from moisture.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 4 Year Old Cheeseburger

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 am

That fry comparison is pretty weak. Is anyone surprised that a raw potato slice would decompose while one fried in oil would not? Ever seen mold in your vegetable oil at home? Certainly not suggesting that McD's doesn't add preservatives to their food (I just assume they do) or that the longevity of their fries is not at least a little disturbing, I just wonder why that case can't be made without resorting to such a cheap trick.

As for the burger, I've seen enough other vids/pics making the same point that I don't doubt the claim of its age, but I wonder why nobody's ever bothered to do this experiment right: Raw meat in one jar, cooked meat in another, McDonald's in a third. Compare the results at regular intervals. Because honestly, I have no idea what would happen to a burger I cooked on the grill myself vs. one from a fast food joint. I do know that I've found forgotten meat in my fridge before that had no mold and was probably months old; it was just hard and dry. I draw no conclusions from that, especially since the addition of refrigeration seriously alters the experiment -- it's just an observation.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV