MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Bully bikers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Bully bikers

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 pm

snoqueen wrote:And Willy Street has numerous stop lights, unless he just blows them all.

I make a motion he goes over and rides on E. Wash.

Huh. I would suggest that impatient motorists, who are beleaguered by the rare cyclist on Willy St, should just pop on over to East Wash. More lanes! Higher speed limit!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:44 pm

DCB wrote:
snoqueen wrote:And Willy Street has numerous stop lights, unless he just blows them all.

I make a motion he goes over and rides on E. Wash.

Huh. I would suggest that impatient motorists, who are beleaguered by the rare cyclist on Willy St, should just pop on over to East Wash. More lanes! Higher speed limit!

I would appreciate that too. Way too much traffic in my own humble opinion. However:
1. I would not use the word "rare" in describing cyclists on Willy and I'm on Willy Street every day.

2. Those impatient motorists, if involved in a cyclist/motorist collision, at the very worst, will be greatly inconvenienced and maybe even have a guilty conscience later. If anyone goes to the hospital it won't be them.

So while I would like those cars to use East Wash the way god obviously intended, it is not really stupid of them to use Willy. They might even save a few seconds depending on their destination.

Biking on Willy in the morning commute is stupid.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:38 pm

Bland wrote:Honest (and off-topic) question for bike commuters:
Do you folks change clothes/shower when you get to work?
Cuz everyone I've ever been around after several miles of biking, especially on a hot summer day, gets kinda stinky.

Forgive my ignorance in advance, but I am curious.

My commute is about 4 miles one way. I try to get out of the house early enough to beat the heat, and then I take it easy on my way to work. My converted road bike has reasonably fast tires, and a side basket so my back doesn't get all sweaty carrying a bag. I take a few minutes to cool down at work, then I'm good to go.

Coming home I ride like a bat out of hell, though I doubt that I could keep up with Steven Elbow...

Steven Elbow wrote:It’s about seven miles in all, and if the wind’s with me, I can do it in under 25 minutes...

That's an average of about 17 mph in an urban area, which means that Elbow is hauling some serious ass on some pretty dangerous streets, and probably making a nuisance of himself on the bike paths.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:
Steven Elbow wrote:It’s about seven miles in all, and if the wind’s with me, I can do it in under 25 minutes...

That's an average of about 17 mph in an urban area, which means that Elbow is hauling some serious ass on some pretty dangerous streets, and probably making a nuisance of himself on the bike paths.

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed an increase in aggressive behavior by male cyclists since the advent and marketing of the anti-impotence male bicycle seat some 6-8 years ago? Talk about the law of unintended consequences, who would have thought that cutting off the circulation to the nuts of cyclists would be so beneficial to society.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:44 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:

Wow, I didn't catch that part or do the math. Think about stoplights and stop signs. It takes me about 20 minutes going down East Wash and State Street at a decent pace and a couple of stoplights for about 5 miles. I could prolly do what he did on the open road, but for a commute, that seems reckless.

Or maybe I just ride like a pussy and don't realize it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:56 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:

Wait - I thought bikes were a hazard because they went too slow on the raod. But you think he's going too fast on the bike path.

I guess some people are born with a stick up their butt.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:53 pm

DCB wrote:
WestSideYuppie wrote:

Wait - I thought bikes were a hazard because they went too slow on the raod. But you think he's going too fast on the bike path.

A practical issue with cycling on a busy street is that one can be going too fast for conditions, while also going too slow to keep up with traffic. At the same time, whenever I have seen the bike path next to John Nolen, it's crowded enough to make me think that someone going too fast would be a nuisance.

On the other hand, I suspect that 7 miles and 25 minutes are both off the mark.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 pm

DCB wrote:Wait - I thought bikes were a hazard because they went too slow on the raod. But you think he's going too fast on the bike path.

I guess some people are born with a stick up their butt.

Yeah. Like you, for instance. You've obviously never gone anywhere near a bike path.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:03 pm

So I just saw this video on Madison.com:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/h ... mode=video

There is no way this is rush hour. I've driven down this street morning and night during rush hour and I call bullshit. I saw the parking cops in one part of the video which tells me this is right around 3:30 or 4:00 when they start ticketing people. Try doing this at around 4:30 or 5:00pm. This guy really seems to be full of himself. I don't much care for him being a cyclist advocate.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:14 pm

Remember_Me wrote:Image

Was this in response to my post? I really don't get what you are trying to say. I commute every day to work on my bike. I ride about 60 miles a week on that commute plus more for evening and weekend rides.

Every once in a while you can actually post a link with commentary. It's ok to do that you know.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:17 pm

Stebben84 wrote:So I just saw this video on Madison.com:

There is no way this is rush hour. I've driven down this street morning and night during rush hour and I call bullshit. I saw the parking cops in one part of the video which tells me this is right around 3:30 or 4:00 when they start ticketing people. Try doing this at around 4:30 or 5:00pm. This guy really seems to be full of himself. I don't much care for him being a cyclist advocate.

Amen, this douchenozzle's article did more to drive a wedge between drivers and bikers than anything in recent memory.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:23 pm

Stebben84 wrote:So I just saw this video on Madison.com:

It didn't seem as bad as I expected, but then again, my yuppie brain is programmed to equate "commute" with "rush hour." If you've got flexible hours, then avoiding rush hour is certainly one adaptation that a bike commuter can make.

I'd have been more cautious, but maybe I'm a wuss. Or maybe my caution is just a cover for the fact that I couldn't keep up that pace if I wanted to. Oh well, lots of folks pass me on the bike path. :roll:

At the same time, here we've got an example of the age-old problem with first-person journalism: The legions of ordinary folks who figure out ways to get around town on a bike, in one piece, with a minimum of drama, are not the ones who blog about it.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Was this in response to my post?

Nope. It just happened to be after yours. I would have quoted you if I wanted to respond to you. I watched the video and agreed with your opinion on it. And then just happened to post.

Stebben84 wrote:
Every once in a while you can actually post a link with commentary. It's ok to do that you know.

Now you tell me! :x

I'm going to get right on that.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Link.

Commentary.

(you're right... that was awesome!)
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext