MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Bully bikers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Bully bikers

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Re the video:

I loved the part right after he crosses Baldwin where cars in his lane (the right lane) are stopped for the cop vehicle ticketing parked cars for rush hour. He cuts to the right of the first stopped vehicle (making for himself a third, curbside lane on a two-lane street) and then cuts in front of that same vehicle, slipping behind the cop vehicle and then turning abruptly left and joining the left lane of traffic.

No way that was a legal move. If you're going to pretend you're a car, you've got to follow car rules. If anyone was giving him the benefit of the doubt before, he lost it right there. How is the driver in the left lane supposed to anticipate a move like that where the bike comes flying out from between two stopped vehicles? Even if you make excuses for the third-lane thing, he still never signaled for a lane change.

I think they sweep Willy St for parked cars at 3 pm on weekdays -- maybe 3:30 at the latest. It was mid-afternoon, not rush hour.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:14 am

snoqueen wrote:
I think they sweep Willy St for parked cars at 3 pm on weekdays -- maybe 3:30 at the latest. It was mid-afternoon, not rush hour.

Yup, it's usually around that time that I notice them too (I come off Atwood and go to Heartland CU frequently).

Plus, how much sense would it make to do parking enforcement at rush hour anyway?

None.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:14 am

rabble wrote:
DCB wrote:Wait - I thought bikes were a hazard because they went too slow on the raod. But you think he's going too fast on the bike path.

I guess some people are born with a stick up their butt.

Yeah. Like you, for instance. You've obviously never gone anywhere near a bike path.

Yeah, "obviously". And obviously you and Yuppie are just armchair whiners who have no idea what you're talking about.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:17 am

WestSideYuppie wrote:

On the other hand, I suspect that 7 miles and 25 minutes are both off the mark.

Wow, he's going too fast! and too slow! and he's a goddam liar! He probably doesn't count the time he stops to yell at old ladies and sell drugs to kids.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:27 pm

I was gonna ridicule some of these bicyclists that make it sound like peddling around town requires the mental & physical skill set of an urban ninja, but then I tallied my lifetime list of injuries and realized my most impressive involved biking. And that's why I don't own a motorcycle. The roads are much safer for everyone when I'm steadied on 4 wheels.

My laundry list of (mostly BMX) bike injuries:
broken fingers
broken wrist
broken nose
twisted/broken ankles
severed fingertips
numerous cuts/scrapes/bruises
concussion
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:39 pm

DCB wrote:
rabble wrote:
DCB wrote:I guess some people are born with a stick up their butt.

Yeah. Like you, for instance. You've obviously never gone anywhere near a bike path.

Yeah, "obviously". And obviously you and Yuppie are just armchair whiners who have no idea what you're talking about.

That stick hurt much?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:46 pm

supaunknown wrote:I was gonna ridicule some of these bicyclists that make it sound like peddling around town requires the mental & physical skill set of an urban ninja,

I find that bicycling anywhere but a completely deserted street around here requires one hell of a lot more attention and quick responses than driving, even if you're just keeping up with traffic on the path. I like it but it's not what I'd call relaxing at all unless I deliberately go somewhere I don't have to keep swiveling my eyes every which where. I don't know how the lance armstrongs of the paths do it without killing somebody.

PS: That's an extremely impressive list. How long did all that take to do?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:03 pm

rabble wrote:PS: That's an extremely impressive list. How long did all that take to do?

Most of the more serious injuries were from my early teen BMX days. I was a gangly 6'+ kid on 20" rims. Something had to give.

I'm pretty amazed how many of my friends have never had a broken bone in their lives. They obviously weren't trying hard enough. :lol:
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:12 pm

supaunknown wrote:severed fingertips

I always wondered why you chose to play a fretless bass; its probably easier on your stumps.
drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby dave esmond » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:25 pm

supaunknown wrote:I'm pretty amazed how many of my friends have never had a broken bone in their lives. They obviously weren't trying hard enough. :lol:

I'm kinda amazed I've never broken any bones. I grew up during the Evil Evel Knievel days when we just starting to make our bikes into what would become BMX. One of our Dad's built us take off and landing ramps to jump shit.

Knocked out some teeth and gave myself a few cuts that looked horrible with the blood everywhere. But no broken bones.

I'm with you on not getting what's so hard about riding a bike in town.

Watching that video, other then the douche move of passing the parking ticket guy on the right it doesn't look all that fast or dangerous to me. I personally would pick Jennifer or Wilson over Willy, but to each their own.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:18 pm

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:
supaunknown wrote:severed fingertips

I always wondered why you chose to play a fretless bass; its probably easier on your stumps.

Ka-pow! Nice.
Like most of my injuries, this one was industrial-strength stoopid on my part.
See, the rigors of BMX require the perfect chain tension - too loose and the chain will fall off all the time, too tight means more pedal resistance and can snap the chain. I was testing my latest setup and pedaled the first two fingers of my right hand right into the sprocket. Yeah, believe me, I know. Duh-umb. Turns out a sprocket and chain is an incredibly tortuous finger severing device. Also quite immediately unpleasant was pulling my mangled nubs out of works and realizing they weren't ever going to be the same. I grew older that day.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:46 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:here we've got an example of the age-old problem with first-person journalism: The legions of ordinary folks who figure out ways to get around town on a bike, in one piece, with a minimum of drama, are not the ones who blog about it.

This^^^

Its about those of us who act, deal with, figure issues out, solve problems, move forward vs. the bored noise makers who constantly demand that someone else, usually the government, shape the world after their own image, right now! Of course, they shouldn't have to do anything, because its too hard.

Some people choose to live while others choose to sit in front of PCs and pontificate into the internet about how everyone else sucks.
HOMOsapien

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:27 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:Its about those of us who act, deal with, figure issues out, solve problems, move forward vs. the bored noise makers who constantly demand that someone else, usually the government, shape the world after their own image, right now! Of course, they shouldn't have to do anything, because its too hard.

Wow, you've got all of us figured out. I've been sitting back doing nothing my whole life hoping others would do it for me. You is a smart one.

HOMOsapien wrote:Some people choose to live while others choose to sit in front of PCs and pontificate into the internet about how everyone else sucks.

Kind of like you just did. If you don't like it here, then stop reading and posting. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:01 pm

HOMOsapien wrote: the bored noise makers who constantly demand that someone else, usually the government, shape the world after their own image, right now!

You mean like those who demand that the government outlaw same-sex marriage?
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

It didn't cross my mind, such as it is, until now: maybe Mr Elbow is trying to bike around on Willy St as much he can now, before it gets dug up all next summer. It might be subconscious, but I bet that's it.

Enjoy it now before they turn it into a big dirty dusty mudhole and kill half the businesses and most of the trees.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking