MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 34.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Doomed restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Doomed restaurants

Postby Kovalic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:59 am

Look, I DO NOT LIKE the fact that the whole "Full Of Bull" concept/execution/location appears (to me, at any rate) doomed from the absolute get-go (dammit, SOMEONE is gonna lose some hard-earned money - NOT GOOD), but every time I pass the place, I have this horrible sinking feeling...

Just wondering if others had similar feelings about other spots in town...

Frak. This seems a bit or a morbid topic...
Kovalic

Re: Doomed restaurants

Postby Kovalic » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:13 am

"This seems a bit OF a morbid topic..." "OF." Not "or." Frak.

Typos happne.
Kovalic

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:47 am

Totally agree that Full of Bull was doomed from the get go. I am shocked that Carnival's on Park street made it to its one year anniversary.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby David Blaska » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:19 am

Curious why you say Full o' Bull is doomed. Here's my take: Couple days ago I pulled in for some takeout at about 11:10 a.m. The counter girl announced "we don't open until 11:30." As I'm driving away, another would-be customer exited, saying "I guess they don't want our money."
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:23 am

Well even if they do go under their name with live on as my pet name for Blaska's poor excuse for a blog.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:29 am

fisticuffs wrote:Well even if they do go under their name with live on as my pet name for Blaska's poor excuse for a blog.

Sweet!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby David Blaska » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:59 am

I'll take the bull, Fisty. You can have what comes after it.
David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:59 pm

I thought Blaska swallowed his prey whole.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:I thought Blaska swallowed his prey whole.

Is this another Shark Week reference? Damn! I'm gonna have to get cable.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:08 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:Is this another Shark Week reference? Damn! I'm gonna have to get cable.

Live every week like it's Shark Week, Curtis.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Rachelz » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:10 am

Bub's Burger Joint on East Washington. I think it's doomed because of the bizarre placement of the sideways arrow in their name. And the fact that the three restaurants before it never made it.

And the Babe's restaurant over by Target East (formerly Damons, formerly Tilted Kilt). Of course, Babe's is dooming itself. It would be nice if something decent went into that spot.
Rachelz
Forum Addict

Postby Thusnelda » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:30 pm

How has La Rocca's survived this long? Roman Candle isn't the be-all, end-all of pizza by a long shot, but it at least has the requisite attitude for the neighborhood. I wasn't that impressed by La Rocca's when I stopped by, but that was several years ago. Still, it strikes me as being run by people who don't really know how to market a restaurant.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:44 pm

There's this guy who sells salt-pork and bean sandwiches next to the parking ramp near the Concourse Hotel. I like me a good salt-pork and bean hogie, especially the way he serves it with steamed onions and yellow mustard, but I don't think he's going to make it.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:46 am

Thusnelda wrote:How has La Rocca's survived this long? Roman Candle isn't the be-all, end-all of pizza by a long shot, but it at least has the requisite attitude for the neighborhood. I wasn't that impressed by La Rocca's when I stopped by, but that was several years ago.

La Rocca's has far better pizza than Roman Candle and lots of other great menu items. And if you don't like the atmosphere (though I can't imagine why -- it's a cozy little joint) they deliver. I sure hope they don't go under -- my girlfriend and I both dig that place.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:57 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Thusnelda wrote:How has La Rocca's survived this long? Roman Candle isn't the be-all, end-all of pizza by a long shot, but it at least has the requisite attitude for the neighborhood. I wasn't that impressed by La Rocca's when I stopped by, but that was several years ago.

La Rocca's has far better pizza than Roman Candle and lots of other great menu items. And if you don't like the atmosphere (though I can't imagine why -- it's a cozy little joint) they deliver. I sure hope they don't go under -- my girlfriend and I both dig that place.

I have yet to have a bad meal there. I keep telling myself I'm going to try the pizza but I always order the ravioli or spaghetti. Or the bruciole. Oh, and the lasagna once. And the chicken parmigiana.

I really should try the pizza sometime but I keep remembering that pasta and something snaps.

What attitude are you talking about, Thus? We've always been seated quickly and served well.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews