MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

favorite salads

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: favorite salads

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 am

CocoaPuffBrown wrote:Since we are on the subject of salads. Does anyone have a killer vinaigrette recipe?

Yes.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby babelfish » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 pm

me too
babelfish

Postby LargeMarge » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm

CocoaPuffBrown wrote:Since we are on the subject of salads. Does anyone have a killer vinaigrette recipe?

I don't have a recipe, but I love using either the mango or raspberry vinegar from Vom Fass on University Avenue. I am not a huge salad fan, but I love the tahu goreng with organic greens and tofu from the Kakilima cart on Library Mall. It's not called a salad, but it looks like one.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:53 pm

CocoaPuffBrown wrote:
okiebp wrote:I never understood the reasoning behind paying $9 for a salad.

The price breakdown for that salad goes something like this:

$2.00 for the ingredients
$1.25 for the table rental
$0.75 staffs labor charge – she is cute, she's worth it
$1.00 cost to maintain the restaurant's cuteness factor. A necessity in order to attract people with large amounts of expendable income. Part of the reason people who are willing to pay $9.00 for a salad is its symbolic signal of status. They aren't here to eat a salad, they are here to eat a $9.00 salad with other status oriented people. *They aren't here to eat amongst those who are unwilling or unable to spend that kind of money on lettuce and tomatoes.*
$4.00 profit

The restaurant is a business, not a social advocacy front. Even though they will market that to those who want to hear they are eating their way to saving *those they aren't interested in being around in the first place.*

Usually what you will here from the people who willingly spend this kind of money on a prepared salad is "they are supporting their community." I guess part of that profit margin holds a guilt premium or something. If you bought all the same ingredients from the COOP, who in turn got their produce from some guy in Cambridge WI (maybe lettuce from Cambridge MA is more important?) and made the salad yourself, I guess that's not community oriented enough.

I'm guessing you get your salads at McDonalds?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby babelfish » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:18 pm

For store bought dressing I really like Annie's Naturals, the Shiitake & Sesame Dressing is my favorite.

http://www.anniesnaturals.com/natural_dressings
babelfish

Postby c02 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:42 pm

The Apple Gorgonzola Salad at Bucca Di Beppo's is awesome. I'm not much for salads and I'm really not a big fan of Bucca's (I can't stand 'family style' eating) but that salad has a spot in my heart.

Recipe here.
c02
Forum Addict

Asian slaw at Restaurant Muramoto

Postby kulgar » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:55 am

Best salad in Madison. It's nearly a meal in itself even with the downsized, "single serving" portions they dish up now. I once ate a whole salad, the larger version, at the original location and my jaw hurt the next day from the exercise. The chef said I wouldn't have to eat vegetables for a week.

The dressing is also for sale by the bottle, I think at all three locations.

And as much as I trash the red sauce and ambiance inside Paisan's, the Porta salad, and maybe it's just the memories, hits the spot. A Porta salad, a glass of wine and sit out on deck overlooking the lake - summer is great in Madison.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:38 am

The pork belly, mizuna, and heirloom tomato salad (read: BLT) at Restaurant Muramoto is also really nice.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews