MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Mexican Lindo

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Mexican Lindo

Postby radtek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:41 pm

I know that is probably not the correct name of this restaurant, but the correct name escapes me at this time. It is in the old Steak and Shake by East Towne Mall.

I was surprised by how good everything was. They have a bakery inside with awesome looking goods. There were fresh tamales in zip lock bags to take home. They didn't have official menus made yet, so just ordered off a sheet of paper. They have all the usual things with daily specials. I had the chicken burrito. It was huge and actually very good. The chicken had good flavor and was not a bunch of fat. It came with beans and salad, both tasty. My husband had the tamales and really liked them. We always seem to have bad luck with tamales in Madison, but they did a good job. The salsa was SPICY, but really good. The waitress brought us each a little sample of the Tres Leches cake, it was excellent. I guess the owner also runs a restaurant in the Dells. He also plans on doing a buffet in the near future with uncommon Latin dishes and such.

We will be back.
radtek

Re: Mexican Lindo

Postby radtek » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:53 pm

I also forgot to mention they are cash only right now. I had to make a trip to the ATM in order to eat there.

Another tidbit I left out was the entrees are also served with rice, good rice. It's not your typical Rice-a-Roni crap. I hate the rice they serve at most Mexican restaurants, and this rice was good.
radtek

Postby babelfish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Try Taqueria Guadalajara on Park St for tamales, you can call ahead and have them make up either chicken or pork tamales to take home.
babelfish

Postby O.J. » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:16 pm

Any relation to Delroy?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:39 pm

That's kind of amazing, that someone actually moved into that building. Probably a good time, what with the improved flow of traffic coming off of Lien Road once the construction is done.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:35 pm

2001 Zeier Road is indeed now open as Mexican Lindo Bakery and Restaurant.

How long ago did Steak and Shake close? I can only imagine the cleanup required to open a new restaurant there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:53 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:How long ago did Steak and Shake close? I can only imagine the cleanup required to open a new restaurant there.

That Steak 'n Shake closed before February of '04, because my first project after getting hired that month was pulling records on the property for an environmental assessment. It is for this reason that I also know the property has a covenant that precludes non-restaurant uses. It couldn't have closed too much before then. I know I'd gone there on a late night chili run that previous fall.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews