MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Lower My Cholesterol

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Lower My Cholesterol

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Yes, I am in the process of finding a dietitian. In the mean time, finding low cholesterol foods that taste good is torture. I need to stop eating so many cupcakes and donuts. I like something tasty with my coffee. Ideas?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lower My Cholesterol

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:46 pm

Cinnamon. Niacin. Flax. Fish oil.

Take these as supplements, and don't bother eating "low cholesterol foods" unless you're in a really high-risk category. Just eat smarter. Life's too short to eat all that artificial, green-label "health" food.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:05 pm

Oatmeal, olive oil, avocados and Metamucil, along with the things TBP mentioned. Plus all the fruits & veggies most doctors tell you to eat. Most people think fat when they hear they have high cholesterol, but a high sugar diet can also contribute to high LDL and lower HDL levels.

Here is a useful website with information on the health benefits of healthy food. http://whfoods.com/foodstoc.php
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:31 pm

I know about healthy eating. One of my weak spots is pastries! What can I enjoy with my coffee?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:58 am

Bwis53 wrote:I know about healthy eating. One of my weak spots is pastries! What can I enjoy with my coffee?

Bagels. Cinnamon toast with a little butter. Biscotti?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Maeve » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:16 pm

How about Mediterranean pastries? I’m thinking small dessert canapés made with fruit, or cholesterol-lowering nuts like pistachios, cashews or pine nuts and with phyllo dough, which is usually made with olive or canola oil instead of butter. If you were still in Chicago you’d have little difficulty finding these but here you may need to make them.

I’ve never made phyllo but those less baking-challenged than I am claim it’s relatively easy. I don’t believe them, but I do know good-quality frozen phyllo is there to be found when you check the product’s ingredients.

Maybe you could get or make the phyllo and then make several different kinds of tiny dessert canapés, sort of like a Christmas cookie assembly line. Then freeze them and thaw out one or two the night before so your pastry will be all set to go with your morning coffee. If – and for me it’s a big “if” – you can exert enough self-control to eat just one or two at a time, and not the whole batch as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby LaughingGirl » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:49 am

My 2¢; along with the other healthy foods, eat oyster mushrooms--they have naturally occurring statins. I think they are one of the only foods that do. Eat enough of those, and you should be able to enjoy a croissant with your coffee!
LaughingGirl

Postby holyghost » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:44 pm

Tortillas and peanut butter (lots of unsaturated fat). My favorite!
holyghost

Postby CocoaPuffBrown » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:56 am

Are you exercising regularly?
CocoaPuffBrown

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:05 pm

I need to up that also. I appreciate all the input. I'm doing my homework, putting together a livable plan.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Boshie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:56 pm

Eliminate dairy, especially cheese, from your diet. It's pure artery- clogging sludge. Exercise at least 40 minutes a day, vigorously, get your heart rate into the fat-burning zone, and sustain that. Lift weights twice a week, muscle takes more calories to maintain than fat and your metabolism gets a nice boost that continues for 72 hours past the lifting session. You will become leaner and will be able to eat more calories in order to maintain that muscle (but make sure they are 'good' fat calories, not artery clogging kinds).
Boshie

Return to Cooking & Food issues