MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Bully bikers

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Bully bikers

Postby scratch » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:07 pm

rabble wrote:I don't know how the lance armstrongs of the paths do it without killing somebody

steroids.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:35 pm

scratch wrote:
rabble wrote:I don't know how the lance armstrongs of the paths do it without killing somebody

steroids.

Ball of Steel.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:48 pm

DCB wrote:
WestSideYuppie wrote:On the other hand, I suspect that 7 miles and 25 minutes are both off the mark.

Wow, he's going too fast! and too slow! and he's a goddam liar! He probably doesn't count the time he stops to yell at old ladies and sell drugs to kids.

Please don't put words in my mouth. There's a difference between being a liar and just being wrong. You can figure out his commute distance from his description of the endpoints in his article, and Google Maps. I get about 5.5 miles. I could be wrong too. I was trying to cut the guy some slack by suggesting that my original estimate of his speed was probably on the high side.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:52 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:Please don't put words in my mouth. There's a difference between being a liar and just being wrong. You can figure out his commute distance from his description of the endpoints in his article, and Google Maps. I get about 5.5 miles. I could be wrong too. I was trying to cut the guy some slack by suggesting that my original estimate of his speed was probably on the high side.

So maybe its only 5 miles -but who cares? Why are you trying to pick apart the least significant aspect of the article? Especially with so little information.

The point of the article was, lets not get all road-ragey with each other. And what I read in this thread is a lot of people getting all armchair-road-ragey over picky little details.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:23 pm

I'm a Lance Henriksen of the bike path.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:48 pm

DCB wrote:The point of the article was, lets not get all road-ragey with each other. And what I read in this thread is a lot of people getting all armchair-road-ragey over picky little details.

The point of the first article was "I'm going to ride down Willy St at rush hour because dammit, I got a right."

The point of the second article was "Why can't we all just get along? And oh by the way I'm still going to ride down Willy St because I got a right."

My point is, any points made by people who are so stupid they'll literally risk their lives to save a few minutes are automatically suspect.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:51 pm

I don't think it's really to save a few minutes. You're being generous.

People with that attitude love to be aggravated and get all self-righteous for a certain portion of every day. They're making a big statement (mostly to themselves) about how they're doing whatever, and the whole rest of the world is against them, and trying to kill them, and not following the laws, and purposely making their lives hard.

It's very difficult to argue someone out of that world view, and they're generally belligerent and unpleasant to be around. But dammit, they're RIGHT!

Right?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:27 pm

Right.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:22 pm

snoqueen wrote:I don't think it's really to save a few minutes. You're being generous.

People with that attitude love to be aggravated and get all self-righteous for a certain portion of every day. They're making a big statement (mostly to themselves) about how they're doing whatever, and the whole rest of the world is against them, and trying to kill them, and not following the laws, and purposely making their lives hard.

It's very difficult to argue someone out of that world view, and they're generally belligerent and unpleasant to be around. But dammit, they're RIGHT!

Right?

Nothing you said is consistent with the article. For example,
he estimated problem drivers to be maybe 5%. Not the whole world. And while many drivers are breaking the laws, he suggested we should cut each other some slack.

it would probably be very hard to argue the author out of world view he doesn't hold.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking