MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Butchery

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Butchery

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:48 pm

Can I also put a plug in for continuing to shop at Ken's? Obviously, the construction is a pain in the ass for you, but you've got a choice of places to go. Ken's, Jenny St. Market and all of the other shops that are smack in the middle of construction (or will be) don't have that option. Do you think they had anything to do with the way the ridiculous detours bypass their driveways?

Please consider gritting your teeth and braving the construction to get to these smaller places. If they close because people don't shop there, nobody will have a choice!
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 pm

Thusnelda wrote:Can I also put a plug in for continuing to shop at Ken's? ... If they close because people don't shop there, nobody will have a choice!

I totally agree with you Thusnelda! I shop at Ken's frequently when I'm in that area in Madison, there is a great Asian food store on Monona Dr. that I like to visit on the same trip: Viet Hoa Market. I was just looking for a few alternatives, not knocking Ken's by any means. I'm all about supporting local business! I can't wait for the construction on Monona Dr. to be over, that area will be hopping again! Lotsa good stuff over there, David's Jamaican, Java Cat (ummm gelato)!
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:12 am

I have tried some other places, but I can't recommend anything higher than Jeni Street Market. Excellent meat across the board and great service (as others have said). Plus I can walk there in five minutes.

Faves include: homemade brats (just tried the bleu cheese brats Sunday-amazing), sirloin burger patties, Nueske's bacon, Nueske's bacon and cheddar burger patties, various pork tenderloins, butterfly porkchops (also offer a stuffed porkchop option), bacon wrapped filets, beef tenderloin, Bell and Evans chicken breast (various marinades), excellent selection of deli meats, cheeses, sides and salads. Also the cooked shrimp (for shrimp cocktail) are phenomenal...

One thing that i find strange is that they don't carry a veggie brat option (in the deli case).
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby babelfish » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:57 pm

For those of you south of Madison, I like JL Richards in Oregon. Their ribeyes and sirloins are well priced and very good. Their brats are homeade and their natural-casing wieners are awesome.
babelfish

Postby CoffeeJones » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:37 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Personally, I was surprised at the lack of encased meats at Ken's. Is that a "whatever's here" kind of unpredictability, or do they just not really do sausage? Hot dogs were the extent of the selection.

Perhaps it has something to do with Fraboni's being right around down the street on Owen Road?
CoffeeJones

Postby wallrock » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:29 pm

city2countrygal wrote:How about outside of Madison, anywhere in New Glarius?

Hoesly's is in New Glarus, on the north side of town right off 69. It's across the street from the original NG Brewery, and Dan Brown's Smoke on the Porter from a few years back was inspired by the delicious aroma wafting across County W.

In addition to being excellent butchers the Hoeslys are also some of the nicest people ever. A couple years back I was making my way down there to pick up a the roast that my father ordered for his birthday dinner. I was running a bit late and I wasn't going to make it by the time they closed (5 pm) so I called ahead and asked if they'd still be around 5 or 10 minutes past the hour. Not only did they stay open for me, I ended up having a 20 minute conversation catching up on how my sister was doing and how much my dad loves their smoked pork chops.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:12 pm

The smoked brisket from Hamann Charc. wrapped around scallops, then grilled has been our treat of this summer. I like it better than bacon-wrapped scallops.

On a bacon tip, Nueske's is not the acme of bacon, at least for me. I wish I had a local suggestion, but all I can think of right now is Len's in Stillwater. We stop there every time we visit friends out that way.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Wino » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:15 am

Goober McTuber wrote:Jenifer Market currently has gyro brats available. Cook them on a lower heat on the grill because if they split there's a lot of flammable juice in them. But very tasty.

We had these last night and they are freaking delicious. The guy working the butcher dept recommended serving with tzatziki sauce.

For the last 12 years Jenny St Market has been our #1 choice on the east side when it comes to meat. The quality, service, and knowledge of the butchers is tops.

On the west side, Sentry has a decent butcher dept. Whole Foods has an impressive but expensive selection. If you like lamb WF is the place to go since they seem to always have the best variety of cuts in stock.
Wino
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:35 am

Wino wrote:On the west side, Sentry has a decent butcher dept.

"Were you talking about the west side??"

[/numberoneonwestside]
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:30 am

Alinea uses or used Nueske's bacon. I should really try their bacon recipe and see if it makes a difference. So far I find it no better than Willow Creek's bacon that is available at the co-op right across the street from me using a basic pan fry.

The problem with shopping at grocery stores or farmer's market stalls instead of butchers is that you can't always get what you want, and even if they had it at some point they might have sold out. This has happened to me numerous times. This conversation will therefore come in handy next time I need a specific size, less common cut of meat.

Thanks, all.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:01 am

Knoche's market on the west side. Fine butchers and you can order aged rib roasts in advance.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:56 am

boston_jeff wrote:I have tried some other places, but I can't recommend anything higher than Jeni Street Market. Excellent meat across the board and great service (as others have said). Plus I can walk there in five minutes.

Faves include: homemade brats (just tried the bleu cheese brats Sunday-amazing), sirloin burger patties, Nueske's bacon, Nueske's bacon and cheddar burger patties, various pork tenderloins, butterfly porkchops (also offer a stuffed porkchop option), bacon wrapped filets, beef tenderloin, Bell and Evans chicken breast (various marinades), excellent selection of deli meats, cheeses, sides and salads. Also the cooked shrimp (for shrimp cocktail) are phenomenal...

One thing that i find strange is that they don't carry a veggie brat option (in the deli case).

Try their "Iowa" pork chop with rib bones attached. About an inch thick. Grill for 5-6 minutes per side and start thin-slicing it. [RachelRay]Yum-O[/RachelRay].

Whenever I see the New York strip on sale, I grab a bunch for the freezer.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby shyguy » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:24 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Sorry, forgot to carry this comment over from the Tornado thread:

city2countrygal wrote:How about a recommendation for a good butcher in Madison besides Ken's? I just can't deal with the construction on Monona Dr.

Personally, I was surprised at the lack of encased meats at Ken's. Is that a "whatever's here" kind of unpredictability, or do they just not really do sausage? Hot dogs were the extent of the selection.

There are no better hot dogs than Ken's quarter pounders. Gets them from Chicago, we were told. Absolutely the best. Really. And their brats aren't bad either, not sure where they get them.
shyguy

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues