MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Commercials

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Commercials

Postby wack wack » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:39 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I must have missed the audible "wink wink nudge nudge" after that line.

Listen. I know some folks of your generation like to think you're the center of the pop cultural universe, and that everything was about--and better because of--drug use. Congratulations. You survived.

But I'll take the word of the songwriter, and the two people whose actions as children are cited as inspiration, over the "conspiracy theory" that not only was the song about drug use, but that a band who never really shied away from admitting drug use for some reason wanted to obscure it in this one case.

Ellie Arroway: Occam's Razor. You ever heard of it?
Palmer Joss: Hack-em's Razor? Sounds like some slasher movie.

Are you actually trying to claim that the song is NOT about LSD?

I generally find your writings to be intelligent well-informed, tbp. This is the most naive thing I've ever seen from you. It's almost... cute.

Songwriters lie about meanings and motivations all the time.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:28 am

Aw, thanks, wack. Always like it when people think you're dot dot dot cute.

Why bullshit us on just this one? Of course people lie--forget just songwriters. But why only for "Lucy in the Sky"? Paul talked about it, everyone in the band basically acknowledged LSD's influence on their music in general. So why would any of them want to string people along about the specific meaning of a specific song? See, for example, "Polythene Pam":

John Lennon wrote:[Polythene Pam] was me, remembering a little event with a woman in Jersey, and a man who was England's answer to Allen Ginsberg, who gave us our first exposure - this is so long - you can't deal with all this. You see, everything triggers amazing memories. I met him when we were on tour and he took me back to his apartment and I had a girl and he had one he wanted me to meet. He said she dressed up in polythene, which she did. She didn't wear jackboots and kilts, I just sort of elaborated. Perverted sex in a polythene bag. Just looking for something to write about.

Or "Yellow Submarine":

John Lennon wrote:George was going, 'Don't make me laugh!' Oh God! It was just terrifying. But it was fantastic. I did some drawings at the time - I've got them somewhere - of four faces and 'we all agree with you,' things like that. I gave them to Ringo, I've lost the originals. I did a lot of drawing that night - just like that. And then George's house seemed to be just like a big submarine. I was driving it - they all went to bed and I was carrying on on me own - it seemed to float above his wall, which was eighteen foot, and I was driving it. And the second time we can acid in LA, which was different.

The Beatles Bible has this to say on LSD:
LSD had a profound effect on The Beatles' songwriting and recording. The first-released song to mention it was Day Tripper, but over time its influence resulted in less explicit and more abstract references to acid. The Beatles increasingly tapped into the burgeoning counterculture of 1966, and the first song recorded for Revolver was the psychedelic Tomorrow Never Knows, featured lyrics adapted from Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert's 1964 book The Psychedelic Experience, itself a modern reworking of the ancient Tibetan Book of the Dead.

The song perhaps most often associated with The Beatles' use of LSD is Lennon's Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. While the group always denied that the title was a reference to acid - Lennon and McCartney both maintained it was inspired by a painting drawn by Julian Lennon and named after a schoolfriend - there is little doubt that the Through The Looking Glass imagery was the product of drug intake.

So maybe this is a quibble; while the title specifically referred to a real event in Julian's childhood, the imagery might have been inspired by drug use.

But then, George Martin:

George Martin wrote:Compared with Paul's songs, all of which seemed to keep in some sort of touch with reality, John's had a psychedelic, almost mystical quality ... John's imagery is one of the best things about his work—"tangerine trees", "marmalade skies", "cellophane flowers" ... I always saw him as an aural Salvador Dalí, rather than some drug-ridden record artist. On the other hand, I would be stupid to pretend that drugs didn't figure quite heavily in the Beatles' lives at that time. At the same time they knew that I, in my schoolmasterly role, didn't approve ... Not only was I not into it myself, I couldn't see the need for it; and there's no doubt that, if I too had been on dope, Pepper would never have been the album it was.

Sure, Martin could be alluding to something rather than explicitly stating that a man who's not around to confirm or deny anymore did something illegal. But it sure sounds to me like Martin--someone in a position to know--felt that the imagery of "Lucy" was born out of Lennon's penchant for whirling, surreal lyricism.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

It's Carmina Buriffic!

Postby Marvell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:57 pm

Have you ever heard the Burl Ives version of "Blister In the Sun" they use in the ads for the new hit reality series "Who'll Fuck a Pig?"

That thumb-piano solo is positively Orffian...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:12 am

I like the one with the two streakers. I'm still trying to figure out what one of them says after "Hey, Girls..."
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:37 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:But I'll take the word of the songwriter, and the two people whose actions as children are cited as inspiration, over the "conspiracy theory" that not only was the song about drug use, but that a band who never really shied away from admitting drug use for some reason wanted to obscure it in this one case.

John Lennon is fucking with you, man.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:02 pm

Unrelated John Lennon video tidbit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6INJxE49Qgk
So non-PC.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:13 am

Another thread made me wonder - who would I like to see blown up in the current crop of commercials?

For me it's the "number guy" - smug guy walking around with his $ amount he needs to retire who is passive aggressive towards his amiable hedge trimming neighbor.

First off, number guy is also "throwing money at his number" whether he cares to admit it or not. (Number guy won't bring up the Enron fiasco that has forced him to live with his daughter for the last 10 years).

2nd, shut the fuck up number guy. You don't give a shit about me or my number, you just want to make yourself feel good. Because you have no friends.

I'd like to see number guy and his number blown up. But his dog would be left unharmed and go to live with hedge trimmer guy who would give him lots of treats and actually take him to the Vet on a regular basis.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 pm

But how do you REALLY feel?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:22 pm

Burger King can quit with the breakfast ads any time now.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:25 pm

bluethedog wrote:The one where the person meets an older version of themself, who treats them like a child.

The one with the guy whose daughter was just born was on several times during the golf tournament today. The money line is "she's even more beautiful today"

Instead, how about:

"She's a fucking crack whore today!" followed by older version of his daughter stumbling in with "I'll suck your dick for twenty bucks!"

That's just me. YMMV.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:15 pm

bdog wrote:That's just me.

Sure is.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Humorless ass #1 jumps in... who's next?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:35 pm

bdog wrote:Humorless ass #1 jumps in... who's next?

The choice seems to be between being humorless ass #2 or a dumb ass #2.

Count me as #2, Humorless. The comedy of the 25 year old Diceman routine is debatable but the dollar store version of it, isn't.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:43 pm

Diceman??? Norm MacDonald!!!!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:35 pm

bdog wrote:Humorless ass #1 jumps in... who's next?

That's our bookie. Too busy describing scrapple as "meatloaf" to have a laugh. Too bad the laugh's on him.

But I digress...

The 1-877-KARSFORKIDS spot is killing me. Please make it stop.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to TV