MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

"Your beer is like swill to us."

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

"Your beer is like swill to us."

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:54 pm

An interesting tangent has developed in the What To/Not To Do in Madison thread: the merits of consciously lowbrow beer. LöBrau, if you will.

Capital Supper Club and the reformulated Schlitz come immediately to mind, as they've been launched in the PBR-as-ironic-totem Era. There's very little going on in these beers, but I guess that's kind of the point.

Is it worth it to buy a sixer of Supper Club when the same $8 gets you, say, New Glarus' Moon Man No Coast Pale? Are there valid reasons for paying tap-rate, to say nothing of bottle-rate, for a beer that you can read a book through?

I say yes, at times, but I'm interested in the wider Foronistan opinion. And I've done enough threadjacking lately.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "Your beer is like swill to us."

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:59 pm

Is it worth it to buy a sixer of Supper Club when the same $8 gets you, say, New Glarus' Moon Man No Coast Pale?

I'd say it depends on who's drinking the beer. We forget that the availability of serious beer in our little area has altered our taste buds. There are a lot of out of towners who just aren't going to appreciate Moon Man or Warp Speed or Satisfaction like us locals do. If someone is adventurous send them straight for the good stuff. Otherwise Supper Club will leave a good impression without scaring away those from areas where Heineken is the top shelf of the beerymid.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:02 pm

It's all a matter of taste. Sometimes (well, for me, most of the time) a lighter brew is just the ticket. All I know is I woulda walked a mile for a Schlitz yesterday at Orton Park. I appreciate the fact that the taps at many of the community festivals here aren't lowest common denominator Bud Light/Miller Lite and nothing else, but tapping all craft brews is the same problem in the other direction.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:11 pm

I admit to taking some exception to beer snobbery. Schlitz, for example, is a return to an original recipe and is far less ironically marketed than PBR. And it's tasty. I prefer Miller High Life when I want something cold and smooth and can't imagine dropping 30% more for a Supper Club, which is decent but economically unsustainable. At the Brewers game, I'm all about Miller Lite.

But just like beer snobs sometimes prefer a stout to a pale ale, is it not possible to sometimes prefer an "American pilsner" to a heavy beer? Is the flavor not sophisticated enough for, um, the people making these decisions? I mean, we're talking about beer, right?

Funny: after a week in the Pacific Northwest a few years ago, I couldn't wait to get my hands on a Miller Lite after drinking nothing but hoppy hippie brew out there. My taste buds were inflamed from all the stuff going on in those beers.

As I get older, I'm finding my preferences narrowing. I pretty much drink only Guinness, High Life and a local pale ale (Ale Asylum, Lake Louie, New Glarus) when I want something hoppy. I'm pretty much all German pilsner all the time at the Dane.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:17 pm

I won two 12-packs of High Life cans playing paddles at the St. Pius parish picnic in Appleton a couple months back (do paddles translate out of the Fox Valley area?), and found myself starting to enjoy having them around. Made for a nice brat bath, too, but when I didn't feel like a Pepsi, a barely-beer sure hit the spot. And I kinda like the "Girl in the Moon" can artwork.

My wife refuses to consent to buying more. She's a total beer snob.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:24 pm

high Life is my cheap beer of choice as well. We used to do Tuesday night Happy Hour at the Hody. They had $1 High Life bottles all night long. After that I just started picking it up when I needed filler beer for guests. Man does it give me a headache the next day though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:32 pm

Can someone please explain to me how PBR came to be the hipster/indie rock beer of choice? I mean, it's not bad, but there are plenty of others that would also fit the bill.

Was there some marketing campaign I missed?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:39 pm

this may have had something to do with it:

Personally I started taking notice of Pabst when the Vintage opened and they had all those kick ass goblets.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:40 pm

Supper Club is okay. But, again, not worth the price tag. Used to drink High Life quite regularly...until I was old enough to buy my own. Then I promptly switched to Old Milwaukee. Ice cold, out of returnable bottles. Later, I discovered "Milwaukee's Finest Beer", Blatz. Probably my favorite "cheap beer" now. If you haven't, do try. Too bad returnables are a thing of the past- find it on tap, rather than canned.

Then I grew up, and so did my taste buds. That said, these tasty beverages are currently reserved for hot summer days when quantity matters more than quality. For all other times, I'll take a bigger beer, like a delicious Belgian Trippel, Warped Speed or Autumnal Fire.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:13 pm

When I can't have Special Export, I'll settle for Heineken.

All you "it has a nice nutty finish of squirrel balls" snobs can go jump in the lake.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:42 pm

Walter wrote:When I can't have Special Export, I'll settle for Heineken.

I see you prefer an entire dead squirrel.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:50 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Walter wrote:When I can't have Special Export, I'll settle for Heineken.

I see you prefer an entire dead squirrel.

Had to be done.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:20 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Can someone please explain to me how PBR came to be the hipster/indie rock beer of choice? I mean, it's not bad, but there are plenty of others that would also fit the bill.

Was there some marketing campaign I missed?

I assume the general reasoning is "things my dad liked are mainstream and pathetic, but things my grandpa liked are hip and retro". I'm guessing the reason it was PBR (as opposed to Schlitz / Blatz / Strohs) was just availablility. High Life probably also fits the bill chronologically, but the fact that MGD and Lite are around kills any chance of being retro.

I remember taking a tour of the Pabst Brewery in Milwaukee. There is nothing like a macrobrew on a hot day, served fresh, at just the right temperature.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Frank Booth, man. Heineken?! Fuck that shit! Pabst Blue Ribbon!
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:33 pm

Obviously, part of the popularity of cheap beer is the cheap part. I've noticed more and more recently that friends, coworkers and acquaintances with secure jobs seem to order the cheap beer/special more frequently when out at a bar. Part of the psychology of the recession; knowing that many people are suffering due to losing their job creates an urgency to be frugal.

The popularity of Supper Club taps into a Sconnie nostalgia of a simpler time when your parents would make you put on slacks and a nice shirt to head out to the local supper club on a Friday night for a fish fry or Saturday night for prime rib, for the folks of course. The kids never got the prime rib on Saturday, they got a hamburger off the kid's menu. The folks would have a couple drinks in the lounge waiting for the table, a Papst or Blatz for the ol' man and a brandy old fashion or brandy sour for ma. The kids had a soda (further up-North the kids had a pop). After dinner everyone went back to the lounge, the ol' man has a few more beers and ma would order an ice cream drink, perhaps a Brandy Alexander, Grasshoper or Pink Squirrel. By that time the 3-man band is playing and women in polyester pant suits are dancing with men with side burns and beer bellies. After about 2 1/2 hours at the supper club, the parents throw the kids into the car and head home. Sure, the ol' man is driving and had a few, but he's just buzzed. Back then it was harder to get hurt in a car accident when you were traveling in a 250 square foot American-made steel 8 passenger vehicle. That's what Supper Club taps into, and people are willing to pay money for it.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/business/ar ... 002e0.html
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails