MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 21.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

"Your beer is like swill to us."

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: "Your beer is like swill to us."

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:35 pm

There were union guys picketing outside the old Pabst plant after it shut down. I remember my Dad saying "Talk about whipping a dead horse".
Some of them lost their pensions is what I heard. Is that possible, or is there some kind of goverment guarantee?

Later a friend of mine was getting out of his Japanese car to go into the Cactus Club. Two knuckleheads accosted him and wanted to get into a fight about him driving a Honda. They said their old man was broke because he lost his job at Pabst. How you can blame that on Hondas is beyond me.

There's your working-class hip.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:13 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:...a friend of mine was getting out of his Japanese car to go into the Cactus Club. Two knuckleheads accosted him and wanted to get into a fight about him driving a Honda. They said their old man was broke because he lost his job at Pabst. How you can blame that on Hondas is beyond me.

There's your working-class hip.

A friend's dad always used to say about Japanese cars: "You know, all that money goes right back to Tojo."

I drive a Mazda.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:23 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:...
Some of them lost their pensions is what I heard. Is that possible, or is there some kind of goverment guarantee?

That would be the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC), a government agency. It tries to pay pensions of people whose pension funds go bankrupt. It's way underfunded at this time but still functioning.

I know this because a family member's pension went bankrupt and I've had to deal at length with the PBGC, which is not only underfunded but understaffed and its paperwork is all crazy. That's what happens when Congress tries to make a government agency run on a network of old 486's.

And Hondas, for crying out loud, are mainly built in Ohio.

Never mind. [/hijack]

I like PBR's on a hot day. There's indoor beers and outdoor beers, and that's an outdoor beer.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 am

A lot of you folks over-think this beer thing.

It is a beer. Hush and drink your beer. Was it good? Have another beer.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:59 am

Bad Gradger wrote:Give me a new old Schlitz or a High Life on a hot summer day. Better yet, give me a Grain Belt.

I'm with you on the Grain Belt. I used to make it a point to bring a case back every time I was in MN for work. I'm happy that it's now distributed here although I haven't seen it at any of my usual places in Middleton.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:08 am

Cheap beer of choice - Point Pale Ale (preferably in a can).

Supper Club has an appealing marketing plan, but yeah, it's certainly nothing special. To me, the interesting/disturbing thing is the different marketing from Capital - have they ever done a "lifestyle beer" thing before, and since this was so successful, will they be doing more? Will there be a "sports beer"? A "rock & roll" beer? Cripes, I hope not.

And, while I'm ranting about Capital, is it just me, or do all their beers taste about the same? It's like they always start with the same recipe and there are just some mild nods towards whatever style they're trying to make.

Also - I agree that a lightish/cheapish beer has it's place, but so do actually-delicious beers.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:30 am

Top four (in no particular order) when I can afford to buy beer -

Guinness
Leinie Creamy Dark
Rolling Rock
Miller High Life

I grew up on Schlitz in upstate NY in the early 70s and when I moved to Ithaca got hooked on Rolling Rock. The brewery was only just below the Penn/NY border so it was always fresh. One night at the pizza place I worked at (The owner always had a case of RR stocked in a cooler in the kitchen for the cooks) we did a blind taste test of some of the major American brews at the time. PBR, Schlitz, Miller, Bud, couple of others with a Canadian thrown in. The object was to pick the one that tasted best. Bud won hands down and I still drink one occasionally if it's good and cold.

When I moved here in '89 to open the Silver Moon blues club the only beer we always kept on ice was RR. It was still something of a novelty around here at the time. And for a while that club was the only place in Rock and Walworth Cos where you could get a Bass Ale on tap.

The Burghoff Dark and Spotted Cow on tap I like if they are cold. On a hot day, after mowing the lawn, an ice cold Pabst tall boy goes down real good. I don't consider myself a beer snob and it's nice to see regulars here who aren't also.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:16 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:
Later a friend of mine was getting out of his Japanese car to go into the Cactus Club. Two knuckleheads accosted him and wanted to get into a fight about him driving a Honda. They said their old man was broke because he lost his job at Pabst. How you can blame that on Hondas is beyond me.

These same fellas probably really want to see Obama's birth certificate. Like, really bad.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:24 am

My first really cheap beer was Hamm's, on tap at the Badger Tavern back when it was a beer bar. I was eighteen at the time. I upgraded to PBR soon afterwards. When I enlisted in the Navy a couple years later, I found out about European lagers/pils while making port calls in the Mediterrean. I (much later) switched to ales. Haven't gone back to the cheap shit since.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:03 am

rrnate wrote:And, while I'm ranting about Capital, is it just me, or do all their beers taste about the same? It's like they always start with the same recipe and there are just some mild nods towards whatever style they're trying to make.

Yes. I like most Capitol brews, but I've noticed that sameness of taste (and believe the same thing about Snapples btw). All I can theorize is that they probably use the same water for all their products and it adds a signature flavor.

My cheapies of choice:
Old Mil
Blatz
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:49 am

supaunknown wrote:My cheapies of choice:
Old Mil
Blatz

nice
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 pm

wallrock wrote:I'm with you on the Grain Belt. I used to make it a point to bring a case back every time I was in MN for work. I'm happy that it's now distributed here although I haven't seen it at any of my usual places in Middleton.

The only place I've seen it is Woodman's. Not that anyone on this forum would ever shop there.
rrnate wrote:And, while I'm ranting about Capital, is it just me, or do all their beers taste about the same? It's like they always start with the same recipe and there are just some mild nods towards whatever style they're trying to make.

Cap must have been really new and different and exciting fifteen years ago, but they sure are coasting these days. Still, I do appreciate them putting beer in cans and selling it for $4 a case less.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:12 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:
wallrock wrote:I'm with you on the Grain Belt. I used to make it a point to bring a case back every time I was in MN for work. I'm happy that it's now distributed here although I haven't seen it at any of my usual places in Middleton.

The only place I've seen it is Woodman's. Not that anyone on this forum would ever shop there.

Uh...lots of people on here shop there.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:17 pm

rrnate wrote:
Bad Gradger wrote:

Uh...lots of people on here shop there.

Gradger is apparently on some quasi-populist kick this afternoon. When can we expect a joke about how silly the names at Starbucks are, or a derisive comment on tiny Japanese cars?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:21 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Gradger is apparently on some quasi-populist kick this afternoon. When can we expect a joke about how silly the names at Starbucks are, or a derisive comment on tiny Japanese cars?

This Forum definitely needs a Jim Belushi. It's just that I'd always hoped the position would stay open 'till I got a little older. Looks like I'm going to have to hold out for Henry's Garrison Keillor spot.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails