MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

New Ipods coming

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

New Ipods coming

Postby Shorty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:17 pm

It's that time of year again. Kids are going back to school, and on Sept 1 Steve Jobs will put on his black shirt and blue jeans to announce new Ipods. He will ask us to pay twice as much as they cost to make with cheap China labor so he and the Apple execs can get richer. How many do you plan to buy, two? Three?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Ipods coming

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:26 pm

I for one only buy American made organic high tech products.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:38 pm

I also love how Foxconn has become the exclusive Apple maker. When in fact:
"Foxconn also produces Intel-branded motherboards for Intel; a variety of components for Dell and HP; motherboards for UK’s Zoostorm; PlayStation 2 and 3 for Sony; Wii for Nintendo; Xbox 360 for Microsoft; cell phones for Motorola; Amazon’s Kindle, and Cisco equipment."

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2 ... xconn.aspx
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:50 pm

Shorty wrote:It's that time of year again. Kids are going back to school, and on Sept 1 Steve Jobs will put on his black shirt and blue jeans

It's a black turtleneck.

He will ask us to pay twice as much as they cost to make

lol

fisticuffs wrote:I also love how Foxconn has become the exclusive Apple maker. When in fact:
"Foxconn also produces Intel-branded motherboards for Intel; a variety of components for Dell and HP; motherboards for UK’s Zoostorm; PlayStation 2 and 3 for Sony; Wii for Nintendo; Xbox 360 for Microsoft; cell phones for Motorola; Amazon’s Kindle, and Cisco equipment."

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2 ... xconn.aspx

Do you think those items conflict? I guess they're just good at makin' 'puters. Also, there must be some skill crossover between Intel motherboards and Mac motherboards, which use Intel CPUs (and do Xbox 360s use Intel?).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:57 pm

Do you think those items conflict?

Not at all. I'm just saying that Foxconn's problems get tacked directly to Apple's back each and every time something comes up while Microsoft, HP, Sony, Dell etc. are never mentioned. The media portrays this as Apple's Chinese sweatshop. It's not. It belongs to everyone!
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Archos is trying to steal some Apple thunder. Today they announced 5 new android tablets with WiFi:

http://www.archos.com/home.html?lang=en
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=mncol;txt

Archos 2.8", $99
Archos 3.2", $150
Archos 4.3:, $199
Archos 7.0", $275 for an 8GB model, or $350 for 250GB
Archos 10.1", $300 for 8GB and $350 for 16GB
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:31 pm

How is 2.8" a "Tablet"? I guess then the iPod Touch is also a Tablet. Who knew? Anyways you do get what you pay for mostly. For $99 I wouldn't expect a whole lot. I'm sure these are all built by hand in some factory where the workers get wonderful health benefits, reasonable work hours in pristine working conditions. I'm sure Archos' profit margin is deliberately low as well just becasue their so swell.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:47 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Do you think those items conflict?

Not at all. I'm just saying that Foxconn's problems get tacked directly to Apple's back each and every time something comes up while Microsoft, HP, Sony, Dell etc. are never mentioned. The media portrays this as Apple's Chinese sweatshop. It's not. It belongs to everyone!

Ah, gotcha. Apple has made efforts to increase worker compensation and conditions. Unfortunately, it was only after reports of worker suicides got press attention (and compensation still probably lags behind what most would consider to be proper).
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:24 pm

Are they magical? They'd better be magical. More Magical than a large iPhone that doesn't receive or make phone calls? I dunno, that's a tough act to follow. Maybe as magical as a tablet computer that doesn't let you access its file system or even have USB ports. Fantabulous!
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Magical? Well, Apple must possess magic to make so many people buy ipods when there are better mp3 players for the money (Sansa, Sony, Cowon, Zune). But the all-mighty Jobs has spoken and given us this:

-Shuffle has button controls again.
-Nano redesinged into a square with touch controls.
-Touch gets front and back cameras, retina dispaly
-Apple tv now $99
-iOS 4.1 available
-iTunes 10 now available

green union terrace chair wrote:
Shorty wrote:It's that time of year again. Kids are going back to school, and on Sept 1 Steve Jobs will put on his black shirt and blue jeans

It's a black turtleneck.

The amazing Jobs wore a black crew neck shirt instead of the usual turtle neck. He is so full of surprises.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:14 pm

Will the new iPods allow me all the options for sorting content that my Creative Zen did ten years ago, without having to resort to doing everything via playlist in that miserable application known as iTunes?

No? Way to keep phoning it in Apple.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Will the new iPods allow me all the options for sorting content that my Creative Zen did ten years ago, without having to resort to doing everything via playlist in that miserable application known as iTunes?

????
I never understand people's difficulty with iTunes.
I just sorted by Song, Album, Artist, and genre on my phone. I can sort by about a million things in iTunes itself. Usually I'm sorted by date added.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:50 pm

fisticuffs wrote:????
I just sorted by Song, Album, Artist, and genre on my phone. I can sort by about a million things in iTunes itself. Usually I'm sorted by date added.

I tend to take issue with iTunes/Quicktime itself, I'd prefer to have neither involved on my personal machines for reasons like this, among others. (Warning, nerd content at that link.) And no, I don't use IE - but that's just sloppy work.

It'd also be nice if you could just drag a folder onto the iPod and have it magically see it and play it back without having to import to iTunes/Mediamonkey/SeeqPod/whatever first, and then push the playlist to the device.

Of course, I have an iPod dock connector for my car and a 4-year-old nano that still works fine - so, I'm still using an iPod despite my various complaints.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:02 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

????

Um ... iTunes sucks. It's only just bearable if you take the time to configure it so it doesn't automatically try to anticipate your every goddamn desire. The GUI is fine, I guess. The overall implementation is obnoxious. See Petro's post above. The same fanboys who would cite IE's integration with Windows as one of the great pitfalls of that platform seem to have no problem with the same basic model on the Mac, which I find pretty amusing.

Yeah, I can sort by song on my 80 GB iPod Classic, but then I have to scroll through 9,000 songs, which despite the extremely well designed scroll wheel is just an unnecessary pain. But if I pull up an artist and click to list all songs, it puts them in fucking album order, with no option to list them alphabetically. That's just iMoronic and a huge iOversight. Anyone who's ever designed a simple database should be able to appreciate how ridiculously easy it would be to provide this function, and I refuse to believe Apple hasn't had a million requests for it. But that would be one less reason to be tethered to iTunes and one less point-of-sale opportunity for Apple. So there you go.
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:15 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Um ... iTunes sucks. It's only just bearable if you take the time to configure it so it doesn't automatically try to anticipate your every goddamn desire. The GUI is fine, I guess. The overall implementation is obnoxious. See Petro's post above. The same fanboys who would cite IE's integration with Windows as one of the great pitfalls of that platform seem to have no problem with the same basic model on the Mac, which I find pretty amusing.

Yeah, I can sort by song on my 80 GB iPod Classic, but then I have to scroll through 9,000 songs, which despite the extremely well designed scroll wheel is just an unnecessary pain. But if I pull up an artist and click to list all songs, it puts them in fucking album order, with no option to list them alphabetically. That's just iMoronic and a huge iOversight. Anyone who's ever designed a simple database should be able to appreciate how ridiculously easy it would be to provide this function, and I refuse to believe Apple hasn't had a million requests for it. But that would be one less reason to be tethered to iTunes and one less point-of-sale opportunity for Apple. So there you go.

*strolls by whistling nonchalantly*

Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games