MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Cafe Continental Closing

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Cafe Continental Closing

Postby AaronTheSnob » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 am

Wow, sorry to read about this. Over the years, this became one of my favorite places. Ah, well....
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cafe Continental Closing

Postby Average Joe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:12 am

Care to offer any details? Is there an article published somewhere? I love Mrs Schiavo. She is a wonderful, warm person and I wish her well in whatever she does next.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:20 am

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:40 am

Is their Fitchburg location also closing?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:50 am

Right Bower wrote:Right on this very site:

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=30432

Thanks for posting the link. I don't have a lot of free time to search around for articles about subjects that people post vague, link-less comments upon.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:36 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Is their Fitchburg location also closing?

From a previous thread:

Duncan Hines wrote:A clarification about Cafe Continental and The Continental. They are no longer under the same ownership or management. Same family but The Continental in Fitchburg was being run by Nick Schiavo ... Cafe Continental downtown by his brother Jim and their parents, Tony and Rose Marie. Jim and his wife Jenny bought The Continental in Fitchburg. The two restaurants no longer have any connection. A lot has changed at The Continental since Jim took over and for the better.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Thanks to Tony and Rose Marie

Postby kulgar » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:53 am

I never hung at the neighborhood tavern they owned (and for which Rick Richards never forgave them for closing) that became Antonio's, but was impressed with their courage to close a tavern and go into the restaurant business. And liked the food although it was a tad dark.

I was further impressed when I realized it was the same family that opened Cafe Continental when King Street was still mistakenly known for hooker bars and strip joints (and the legislators who hung there). The Fess Hotel and Botticelli's were exceptions that didn't survive after years of struggle in that market. I loved their brunch after Farmer's Market and was disappointed the seasons when they didn't serve brunch on Saturdays.

I again admired their courage when they tried with the Majestic. This couple has done a lot for the Madison food scene and we're going to miss them. There's nothing like having Rose Marie greet you at the door and be in complete command of the chaos that a busy restaurant can be. I remember an incident last summer where she was opening a bottle at the bar with her teeth, looked up with that huge smile and said "I shouldn't be doing that, my teeth cost more than a car!"

It seems like it's becoming a regular ritual to have one last meal at one of Madison's iconic, better restaurants. Peppino's, the original L'Etoile and now Cafe Continental, all in ten months.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:32 pm

Just to make facts clear, Nick was the creator of the Cafe, Club Majestic, and the Continental. His folks and brother Jim were tremendously involved as well. Also, factually, credit goes to the Schiavos for giving Shinji Muramoto his first store.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews