MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

King and Mane

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

King and Mane

Postby mock_talks » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:30 pm

Even after reading several uninspiring reviews about King and Mane, a group of us decided to chance it. We sure were happy with our decision. The bad reviews made me really apprehensive, but maybe they have served as good constructive criticism. First and foremost, the waitstaff was extremely attentive. The hostess was where she should be (at the dining room entrance). Definitely can't complain about the service.

Drinks...happy hour is nothing too exciting, although a $5 glass of wine is a decent deal. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't notice some of their fun drinks before I ordered a tap of Crispin. It was actually really good...I just wish there had been a drink menu on the table in the bar area.

Food...everything was great! It was not over the top amazing food, but overall all of the plates were flavorful and you got a good size portion, their was a nice variety of items from which to choose. My only hope is that they change the menu up a few times a year to keep people interested. To me some of the items on the menu aren't very exciting, it's not like this is a crazy big menu or anything; I find it odd that they consume some of their choices with guacamole, chips and salsa, nachos, and quesadillas that don't seem to be that far from what would typically be expected. While I am truly a fan of a big plate of nachos (probably one of my all time favorite appetizers actually), I was just hoping for a few more trendy, or really creative options. But, who knows, maybe I just don't understand the restaurant's gastro cantina concept.

In our group we tried the Cuban pork torta, the tenderloin torta, the chile relleno which was one of the specials for the night, the albondigas, the duck fat potato cake and the blue cheese stuffed figs. My absolute favorite was the figs. The figs were coupled with a thin slice of cured meat and chopped pistachios. YUM! The tortas were both good, if you are hungry, get the Cuban, it will take care of that for you...it is HUGE! I think there was a breaded pork cutlet of sorts, a kielbasa type of sausage, an omlette with cheese, all on a nice big bun...there may have been more on there, I only had a few bites off ot it, but what I had was really good...definitely comfort food! The albondigas (meatballs) had flavor from the chorizo, but to me that was pretty much where the flavor ended, which was fine because in the end everything came together and as a dish it worked. They were in a red sauce, covered in cheese and then baked. Served with toasted bread...all together yummy goodness. The duck fat potato cake is just a glorified order of hashbrowns in my mind, but they were good; crispy and hot with enough greasiness, but not too much. Pretty darn good.

All in all I think that King and Mane is doing a good job. For those of you that didn't think so highly, go back one more time and hopefully you will have a better experience.
mock_talks

Re: King and Mane

Postby Kovalic » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:00 pm

I worry for its viability. The idea behind it is good - and I *really* wanna try those Sonoma dogs on Wednesdays - but the place has been pretty empty since Graze opened...

I noticed a few more specials - $4 margaritas, all day every day, fr'ex. $2 tacos on occasion.

Not that it was ever packed in the first place. But recently, there's not much going on around lunchtime. I hope dinner does better for them...
Kovalic

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:12 am

mock_talks wrote:To be honest, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't notice some of their fun drinks before I ordered a tap of Crispin.

Crispin on tap? Okay, I'll make an effort to check it out sooner than later.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mock_talks » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:38 am

Yes, the Crispin was really good! I like other cider style adult bevs, I am actually thinking this is close to a fav in that category for me. It was light and not too sweet. Served in a tall glass on ice...yum!
mock_talks

Postby uneditedtruth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:25 pm

Received C minus level service at best at King and Mane recently - no less than 4 different servers were juggled around for our party of two, food was very very mediocre as well. I would recommend avoiding.
uneditedtruth

Postby wallrock » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 am

I've only been once, on a weeknight for an earlier dinner. I didn't have any problems with service but there weren't many other diners at the time I was there. I'm guessing our sole server would have been less attentive had the place started to fill up but that's just conjecture. I enjoyed my beef tenderloin torta very much. It came with roasted peppers and pickled onions and was excellent all around. I liked the beer selections even more. They had North Coast's Brother Thelonious Belgian Dark Strong on tap and it was quite delicious.

I'll try it again before I make up my mind one way or the other, but it seemed to me that they reoriented their menu from what I'd read previously and I really can't say I saw much of the Spanish-Mexican fusion. I may have gotten the lunch menu though. I'd certainly go back again but I'd probably avoid the busy hours given what I've heard.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews