MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Oh, the hypocrisy on TDPF

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Oh, the hypocrisy on TDPF

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:26 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:The implication that a Forum member--one who has established a track record of general trustworthiness on TDPF--was somehow insidiously working to bring La Rocca's down was absurd and highly objectionable to me. That it was made by someone who doesn't appear to have been here for more than five minutes, and has seen presumably all of one of Thusnelda's posts, is what is most grating.

Where was that implication? (insidious? really?) Greg thought Thesnulda had an ax to grind- and he stated that outright. For that, you attack HIS agenda? Do you seriously not see the hypocrisy?

TheBookPolice wrote:The track record of other people acting as camouflaged advertisements does not justify the dubious questioning of first-post praisers; but it certainly informs our suspicion, does it not? Doesn't mean you have to agree, jman, but there it is. Will you acknowledge that I haven't treated every first-time poster with suspicion?

I think swoon_queen said it better than me. Have your suspicions (justified or not). Just take a look in the mirror once in a while. And, no, I don't accuse you of blanket suspicion. But, really, what was so wrong with these posts?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Wow, I didn't read Gregory's statement that way at all. I interpreted it as "looks like Thusnelda has a complaint about La Rocca's and has decided to make that complaint known via a local online forum". Didn't sound at all as dramatic as accusing her of trying to "take down" a local restaurant.

Why would anyone sign on to a forum, start (or maybe enter) a discussion about a place of business, submit one post and then disappear?

That one's easy: said poster is inspired by an experience they have at Cafe XYZ down the street. Wants others to know about it. Goes through the process of registering on TDP so they can post here. Writes a post. Then a bunch of people they don't know are suddenly attacking them and accusing them of subterfuge when all they wanted to do was support and promote a place they love or contribute to a community conversation. The scorn and disdain is offputting and feels antithetical to community building. Why on earth would they want to post again?!
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
jman111 wrote:Christ, you're starting to sound like Blaska now: those who don't defend themselves to your accusations are guilty as charged.

Me : Blaska? That's a first (no pun intended).

Why would anyone sign on to a forum, start (or maybe enter) a discussion about a place of business, submit one post and then disappear?

Perhaps, in googling these internets, they stumble upon a TDPF thread about their favorite spot. They feel the need to defend the reputation of the establishment. Upon viewing the responses to their post, they decide that forons are an unacceptably cranky bunch of bastards with whom they choose to never interact.

There are very few absolutes in these situations. I'm not saying that there aren't dinks out there doing exactly what you're saying. I just think there are some who are unjustifiably criticized, and therefore choose not to deal with it. As for the Blaska comment, I figgered it would at least get your attention.....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:33 pm

yep, what she said
(much more eloquently, I must add)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Plenty have posted once, were politely asked their true intentions (without vitriol and without piling on by other forum members), yet never responded.

Just me experience, of course.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:43 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Do you not see that posting an opinion when you've got a clear stake in praising the establishment is a bit disingenuous? Have you never heard of the term "conflict of interest"? Here, the interest is in an honest conversation about a place. Veiled advocacy doesn't serve that interest at all.

But it's okay as long as they've been a TDPF member for X years? Forons don't have conflicts of interest? Seen any of the band announcements lately?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:45 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Plenty have posted once, were politely asked their true intentions (without vitriol and without piling on by other forum members), yet never responded.

Just me experience, of course.

As I've granted. It's the blanket accusations and generalizations that concern me. Oh yeah, and the hypocrisy (if I haven't mentioned that yet).

(typo)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:03 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:That it was made by someone who doesn't appear to have been here for more than five minutes, and has seen presumably all of one of Thusnelda's posts, is what is most grating. Thusnelda has been a member since 2003; did she "choose this site" way back then, knowing that in 2006, there would be an Italian restaurant on Willy St., and she would be the one to vanquish it?

The fact that it was a newbie's first post may mean nothing at all. That first post may have been made after reading TDPF for a while. I read here for over a year before I first registered and posted. Oddly enough BookPolice inspired me to do so. And as for agendas, reviewers may be perceived as recieving considerations from those whose wares they review.I sometimes get free copies of books and CDs that I review. I don't think it affects my objectivity; I still prefer Burning Spear to Britney Spears and freebies aren't likely to change that. But others may perceive the situation differently.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:10 pm

I've always wondered if the sanctimonious prefer to BE hypocritical or EXPOSE hypocrisy? The answer is, of course, that they enjoy doing both.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:30 pm

I think it's pretty funny to criticize a restaurant for not doing adequate marketing, then jump all over posters who seem to be doing marketing in the thread. Problem solved?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: band members plugging their bands. There's a section for that. Maybe there should be an Eats Hype section.

Re: getting freebies for a review. I hope, scratch, you're disclosing that. There are federal guidelines covering pay for play and the like, that go far above TDPF etiquette.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:27 pm

jjoyce wrote:I've always wondered if the sanctimonious prefer to BE hypocritical or EXPOSE hypocrisy? The answer is, of course, that they enjoy doing both.

I couldn't possibly agree more.
Although, at times, more one than the other.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:02 pm

jman111 wrote:I couldn't possibly agree more.

Although, at times, more one than the other.

Way to take a stand.

Reminds me of a Rolling Stones song.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:08 pm

care to elaborate?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 am

Some posters do act like bullies to newbies. Some just like to argue. I found that a little snark deflects the attacks. If being polite to a bully doesn't work, a loud FUCK YOU might.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com