MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

When do I use commas, dammit.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby john_titor » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:12 pm

Explain in the time it takes us from the lobby to the 17th floor and I will be your dog.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby rabble » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Every time when, in conversation, you would hesitate or draw a breath. Doesn't matter if the sentence ends up with eighteen commas in it, that's the way it should be done.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6157
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby Average Joe » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:37 pm

rabble wrote:Every time when, in conversation, you would hesitate or draw a breath. Doesn't matter if the sentence ends up with eighteen commas in it, that's the way it should be done.


You couldn't be more wrong, otherwise my sentence would read; "YOU, COULDN'T, BE, MORE, WRONG!".
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:33 am

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby chance » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Average Joe wrote:
rabble wrote:Every time when, in conversation, you would hesitate or draw a breath. Doesn't matter if the sentence ends up with eighteen commas in it, that's the way it should be done.
You couldn't be more wrong, otherwise my sentence would read; "YOU, COULDN'T, BE, MORE, WRONG!".

You have emphysema?
chance
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 405
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:05 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby rabble » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:05 pm

chance wrote:
Average Joe wrote:
rabble wrote:Every time when, in conversation, you would hesitate or draw a breath. Doesn't matter if the sentence ends up with eighteen commas in it, that's the way it should be done.
You couldn't be more wrong, otherwise my sentence would read; "YOU, COULDN'T, BE, MORE, WRONG!".

You have emphysema?


Actually I believe Joe was trying to say "You. Couldn't. Be. More. Wrong."

But then, how can I be sure, when, after all, I'm not him, nor can I be, though I might walk a mile in his shoes, but after I did, I'd be a mile away.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6157
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby cute hat » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Here's a good start. I think you could read it in the time it takes to get to the 17th floor. Oh, and you got it right to use a comma to separate an interjection, dammit.

http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html
cute hat
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:53 am
Location: a dump like this

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby ArturoBandini » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:19 pm

You should also work on using question marks where necessary, as in:
When do I use commas, dammit?
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:54 pm
Location: near west

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby Detritus » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:42 pm

In How to Write, Getrude Stein said (and I'm paraphrasing here):

"You don't need commas do you know why you don't need commas because commas are there to tell you when to breathe and you're old enough to know when to breathe on your own aren't you so that's why you don't need commas and that's why I never use them."

Of course, she was a bit extreme....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2385
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby HeyZeus » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:20 am

"Let's eat grandma." or "Let's eat, grandma."

Commas save lives.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:52 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:16 pm

Or,,, try using a whole row of commas together like this,,, to add an aura of jaunty illiteracy to an otherwise mundane sentence.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11498
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:56 pm

snoqueen wrote:Or,,, try using a whole row of commas together like this,,, to add an aura of jaunty illiteracy to an otherwise mundane sentence.

Love this!
Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:58 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:30 am

snoqueen wrote:jaunty illiteracy

I'm not sure if this should be put into a poem, song title, or band name. Seven syllables though...
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2800
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:23 am

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby magic moose » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:22 am

snoqueen wrote:Or,,, try using a whole row of commas together like this,,, to add an aura of jaunty illiteracy to an otherwise mundane sentence.


!!!! Beautiful !!!!, Or heavy breathing mid-sentence, for the non-adult who doesn't know exactly when heavy breathing is inappropriate.
magic moose
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1198
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby john_titor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:27 pm

w00f!
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:18 pm

Re: When do I use commas, dammit.

Postby O.J. » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:25 pm

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2988
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Next

Return to Catch All

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar