MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Bike path restaurant

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Re: Bike path restaurant

Postby HOMOsapien » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:07 pm

That article was to short to hold any meaning. Lots of people are against change. What's new?
HOMOsapien

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:53 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:
But, don't let me tone down the hype about Berge's "genius" and cuteness factor. It's like telling a rich person who has money, power, and access that they were "genius" for building their house next to the lake when anyone with their money, power, and access would have done the same thing. That's not genius, that's playing off of money, power, and access. What is this guy, the messiah of Madison fashion liberalism?

Trying to downplay his talent for the restaurant biz just makes you look dumb. Chris and his partners started The Blue Marlin when downtown was anything but a sure bet, and anyone who appreciates the restaurant/bar atmosphere down there today can thank him for helping create it.

I stopped resenting other people for their success sometime in my 20's. It's very freeing. Give it a try ya dink.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:28 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
HOMOsapien wrote:tone down the hype

Trying to downplay his talent

If you want to suck Berge's dick, go for it.

Hype is not equal to talent. You fail, again.
HOMOsapien

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:58 am

Being logged on at the same time as you is close enough to a dick for me.

Berge has been running successful restaurants downtown for what, close to 20 years? You don't have to like the guy but you might want to check your understanding of hype vs. talent.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:13 am

Berge has great restaurants. It has nothing to do with "sucking his dick" If the Olive Garden Franchise wanted to open up the same thing, I don't think the response would be so positive. They managed to be very successful and stay open for many years. It has nothing to do with power or success, but with quality. I think this is something HOMOsapien doesn't understand.

HOMOsapien wrote:This 'idea,' if that's what you want to call it, isn't remotely new.

He never said it was. But we have nothing like it here in the way he is proposing.

HOMOsapien wrote:Its simply capitalizing off of a time frame that will give it better odds of working out.

He actually alluded to this. This is why he's successful even beyond the quality. You don't really understand business do you?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:16 am

HOMOsapien wrote:That article was to short to hold any meaning. Lots of people are against change. What's new?

Agreed. I disagree with just about everything else you've said, but I agree with that. I've liked every one of Berge's restaurants and in these times, the fact that most of them just last and last indicates that something more than hype and luck is involved.

But be that as it may, some people just can't get over the NIMBY thing. If I lived out there I'd be happy about it. My secret wild hideaways keep getting built over as the years go by, but sometimes it's not always for the worse. If they think that little patch is "wild" they really should get out into the woods more often. And they should re-evaluate what living in a city entails.

Having said that, every process needs some sort of modifier that puts the brakes on so it doesn't run out of control. There has to be an opposition side just to give the other side a reason to explain themselves.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Handy Smurf » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:28 am

admin wrote:"It’s one area in the city where you can’t hear cars," says Kate Edwards, who lives on Fox Avenue and whose property backs up against the trail. "Why would you want to cut into it with sewer lines and electricity?"

See more at TDP story: West-side residents concerned about plans for restaurant on Madison bike path

No disrespect to the neighbors but . . . there are already electric utility lines running alongside the path. Maybe sewer as well. This proposal is just that: a proposal, and plenty of hoops will have to be jumped through. I'll just repeat what I said on another forum though: no TIF money please!
Handy Smurf
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:10 pm

Chris Berge just pulled the restaurant equivalent of shouting "ON YOUR LEFT" then swerving right.

Restaurant Magnus will close in January 2011, to be replaced by Velo Bahn, a cyclist-friendly rathskeller concept.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HOMOsapien » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:46 pm

He wants you all to know how edgy and off-the-hook he is. Are you ready for edgy?

Did he read Teen Beat before saying that?
HOMOsapien

Previous

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking