MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Lambeau Sunday; what not to miss?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Lambeau Sunday; what not to miss?

Postby john_titor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Both my first Pro and Packers game. I have been to many college games. Any tips?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lambeau Sunday; what not to miss?

Postby barney » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Go early. Park on the residential streets near the stadium (it's free), with your car facing the direction you need to leave (it pays to plan a little up front where you want to park, and avoid having to make left hand turns after the game, unless you plan on not heading home right away afterwards).

Allot some time to walk around outside of the stadium, there is nothing in the world like the parking lot of Lambeau Field on gameday. Once you go inside, it's like a religious experience. Really.

If you have time, definitely go the Packer Hall of Fame, especially if you are even slightly a fan. The Lombardi trophies are beautiful. (and, they're now the real ones - they used to be the replicas).
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:53 am

1) Driving through Rosendale is for chumps. Drive to Fond du Lac and take 41 up. You'll drive about 5 miles farther, but you'll drive 10-15 mph faster. And no speed traps.

2) Coming into Green Bay, take the Ashland Avenue exit to Lombardi and turn right (west) on Lombardi to the stadium. If you stay on 41 to take the Lambeau exit, you will sit in a traffic backup for a long time. We are in/out of Green Bay in 10-15 minutes.

Good luck and enjoy.

Maybe I'll see you there. I'll be wearing green. :lol:
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks guys. Getting psyched. Not so much for leaving at 7 am, but psyched none the less.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:30 pm

I had a good time. The drive did in fact suck, except when I slept on the way home. Rosendale is indeed for chumps, but we are not supposed to talk about that (I am told).

Left at 7 am eckk. Got to Lambeau about 10. Started tail-gating brats burgers beer. A very nice vibe. Definitely different than a Brewers tailgate. No bathrooms I could see. Everyone whipped out their grills and started cooking stuff as fast as they could. A lot of cars were flying flags. It was a good idea, as my buddy could spot different friends across the lot by their flags. A few father/son catch but no corn-hole/washers. No one played music out of their cars either. When we first got there, roll out the barrel was being played but then it stopped.

The stadium is a lot smaller than I expected. I can see what you mean by a religious experience. One feels at home and comfortable there.
The beer guy doesn't walk around like at a baseball game. You have to get up to get 8 dollar beers.
A lot of families. If John and Joanie Jr. ever express an interest in the Pack, I will take them. Otherwise, I'm out.

Jet fly over kicked a$$.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Hmmm, I think our section at Lambeau is pretty sober and the beer guys never seem to leave.

Thanks to construction, the drive home was shitty. Totally.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking