MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Partly Cloudy with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

No FOX on my digital teevee

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

No FOX on my digital teevee

Postby meowzamusic » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:21 pm

We dumped cable recently (it was basic basic basic w local channels and not much else) and are now digital antenna-ed to the world. Tried to tune in the Packers game like a good Wiscony and found that there is no FOX signal for our antenna. Had our box do the "search for signal" and still nothing. I know this affects about zero of you out there, but anyone know anything about this? I can see why FOX would not bother doing the digital signal as nobody in the world would dare not have cable, right? And those poor saps who don't have cable either have must not have internet or cell phones....
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Re: No FOX on my digital teevee

Postby Average Joe » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:38 pm

You need a VHF antenna as well as your digital UHF one to pick up FOX 47. Or vice-versa, I forget. Go to Radio Shack, they should know.
Last edited by Average Joe on Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Fox 47 broadcasts in digital. You just need a better antenna or play with the one you have.

Before I switched to digital on the dish, I used set top rabbit ears to catch F1 races on 47 when they weren't on Speed.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:18 pm

I had to move my antenna in order to get a better reception for fox. You can also spring for a nicer antenna. It can make a big difference.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:08 pm

Yeah, the digital antenna thing is tricky. You can build your own, if you want, there are some good instructions on Youtube, and one friend in town really likes the one he built according to those instructions. Me, I just bought one from Amazon, and it works fairly well. It does bring in Fox 47, so we can watch 2 1/2 Men (important stuff for 40-something guys like me and my brother).

But we also have to switch back to the rabbit ears sometimes to get other stations. Weird stuff.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BrianV66 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:33 pm

I bought one of the ones from Best Buy. It's a thin plastic shell around an antenna, about the size of a placemat. It hangs on the back porch (outside) with the cable going into the 'customer' area of the cable connection (connected to the cable that comes into the house). That is split into 3, one for each TV.

We get all of the available digital stations in the area.

I think the antenna was about $50.
BrianV66

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Apparently WMSN/Fox will move to a UHF channel soon. Then you should be all set.

http://www.madcityhd.com/index.php?topi ... ;topicseen
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:45 am

BrianV66 wrote:I bought one of the ones from Best Buy...

Do you remember the brand and model? Is it directional? I'm in the market for one, but not particularly interested in having to re-aim the thing regularly if I can help it.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:05 pm

This is the one that I got. Every once in a while I have to move the antenna about a foot away to get fox. I rarely have to do this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/RCA+-+Indoo ... &cp=2&lp=5
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your wisdom. Today's game was on a different network so there were no worries about viewing.
meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Fox47's switch to UHF should be complete by the end of the month solving the reception problem, at least according to this post from the website Ken was so kind to link.

http://www.madcityhd.com/index.php/topi ... n.html#new
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BrianV66 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:51 am

ilikebeans wrote:Do you remember the brand and model? Is it directional?

I think it's the same as what Steb posted. It works great, but it took a while to figure out just the right spot to hang it outside the house. 2-3 feet in a different area on the house and the FOX channels (theCOOLTV has been added) don't come in clearly.
BrianV66

Return to TV