MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 31.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Why Isn't Local News in HD?

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Re: Why Isn't Local News in HD?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:37 am

There's some vague info on Wisconsin Public Television's web site about WMSN Fox 47's impending antenna work, which apparently starts next week. Strange that WMSN doesn't seem to posting about this.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby c02 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:15 am

My guess is because the WMSN site isn't actually run by local staff. There is little to no local input/info on the local fox website. Their news is gleaned from their partnership with WKOW. In other words, I don't think anybody around here is running that ship.
c02
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:16 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
snoqueen wrote:
But HDTV is way out of my league -- I don't have a TV at all because just about everything I want is on the internet.

It actually sounds like everything you want IS on TV, but you'd rather do yourself a disservice and watch it on the internet instead.

I know a few people who are the same way. Boggles the mind.

Just curious, what's the last movie you saw in the theater?

I can't even remember. Might have been early 90's. However, whatever it was, it was the last movie I saw PERIOD. I shouldn't admit this in public, but watching movies makes me very fidgety and I can't sit through more than about 15 minutes of one before I get up and go looking for something to do. No apologies, I'm just weird. But I have a real hard time being an audience for anything at all.

Back to topic at hand.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:55 pm

bmasel wrote:When TV goes with HD, they need to hire pro makeup artists.

I was thinking the same thing. It might break their budget.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:10 pm

HD is a big reason why I watch Channel 3 news. It looks and feels cooler than the other stations just for that reason. And the other night when they were doing their weekly high school football game on 3-2, I was riveted.

Over-the-air HD is excellent, particularly with shows on PBS that really take advantage of the technology. Paddle to Seattle has been on a few times in the last month and I watch to the end every time, mainly because the scenery is breathtaking on my TV.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:39 pm

did you know the daily page is HD? Every Isthmus on the isthmus is 1080p. we don't fool around over here.

http://www.thedailypage.com/video/
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:36 pm

It's a little more like...

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-broadc ... -hdstudio/

And that's just the camera. VTRs can wind up over $100k apiece, not to mention having to completely revamp your workflow with new switchers, routers, monitors and possibly training your staff. I don't even know what the cost might be to upgrade the actual radio hardware.

It's a big expense for a small station. I'm sure you'll see it in time.
Petro
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to TV