MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Merchant: urban market

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Merchant: urban market

Postby orange owl » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:45 pm

I have been hearing talk about a new "gourmet to go" market. I looked at the location, just across from Merigold. I'm excited but don't know much else about Merchant. Sounds a little like what Fromagination is doing. I like Fromagination, and the owner Ken. Hope this doesn't interfere with his biz. So what do you know???
orange owl

Re: Merchant: urban market

Postby Average Joe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 pm

orange owl wrote:So what do you know???

More options create better, more efficient, consumer friendly and cost acceptable commerce.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:08 am

I know people 'round these parts think it's pretty squirrely (since they seem to be the rodent of choice on TDPF this week) when you only have 2 posts and then you come fishing for information.....
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby orange owl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:10 pm

im new to the daily page, but not madison. if you are implying that i have an invested interest in fromagination, i don't. i just like it. i just wanted to know about merchant. thats it.

barney wrote:

I know people 'round these parts think it's pretty squirrely (since they seem to be the rodent of choice on TDPF this week) when you only have 2 posts and then you come fishing for information.....
orange owl

Postby bikinchef » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:30 pm

It's going to be good, that's all you need to know.
The market part will be solid, but the craft cocktails will be...really awesome, no one in town is doing this, forget gastropubs.

No, I don't work for them or anyone else. I just know.
bikinchef

Postby acereraser » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm

bikinchef wrote:It's going to be good, that's all you need to know.
The market part will be solid, but the craft cocktails will be...really awesome, no one in town is doing this, forget gastropubs.

No, I don't work for them or anyone else. I just know.

You are right, this will be awesome, I have been waiting for a place like this to open up for a long time...

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 pm

I never realized this place actually opened, but it has, according to the person who brought it up in a conversation about Restaurant Week. They must be really setting the downtown on fire.

Has anyone been there yet? My snark stems from the idea that there are cocktail adventures to be embarked upon there that I have never imagined previously. Feel free to set me straight if that is the indeed the case.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:10 pm

acereraser wrote:I never realized this place actually opened, but it has, according to the person who brought it up in a conversation about Restaurant Week. They must be really setting the downtown on fire.

Has anyone been there yet? My snark stems from the idea that there are cocktail adventures to be embarked upon there that I have never imagined previously. Feel free to set me straight if that is the indeed the case.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=31633

http://www.avclub.com/madison/articles/ ... ant,49544/

http://host.madison.com/wsj/entertainme ... 4390a.html

From the last:

The original plan was to open Merchant early in the morning for coffees and pastries. But business at the bar has been so good Berkson and Sweeney haven’t been able to leave until 4 a.m., and they decided to hold off on the early hours, at least until spring.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:40 pm

I have been there twice; once just for cocktails and once for brunch. I and everyone I was with really enjoyed this place. The cocktails are somewhat pricey, but not out of line with Opus, The Icon, and the now defunct Magnus, and they are wayyy better than the crap served at the Icon.

I'm not sure why so many places downtown are all of a sudden service Sazeracs. Kind of trippy.

Anyway, the food during brunch was stellar. I was rather surprised that it was that good so shortly after opening.

Great place so far.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:38 pm

TAsunder wrote:I have been there twice; once just for cocktails and once for brunch. I and everyone I was with really enjoyed this place. The cocktails are somewhat pricey, but not out of line with Opus, The Icon, and the now defunct Magnus, and they are wayyy better than the crap served at the Icon.

I'm not sure why so many places downtown are all of a sudden service Sazeracs. Kind of trippy.

Anyway, the food during brunch was stellar. I was rather surprised that it was that good so shortly after opening.

Great place so far.

Thanks for the knowledge. I am glad to hear the food is so good, because that is what will possibly bring me in. I still am not drawn to the expensive cocktails garnished with the finest maraschino cherries money can buy, because my tastes do not run that way. I don't think I am quite in their target demographic, so it works out fine for all of us.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:21 pm

They also have about 40 bourbons and other non-mixed-cocktails. I don't know what the prices are on them (didn't pay that close of attention) but they didn't seem outrageous.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:29 pm

They did a great job with that place--really cool interior. Good cocktails. I was only there to drink but had a couple of bites off other people's small plates and they were tasty. Am curious to go back for a meal. They also have good beers on tap and interesting juices and sodas for the non-cocktail crowd. When we paid they gave us a flyer saying that they are now serving brunch on the weekends.
LaughingGirl

Postby hmmmph » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:30 am

I've been there several times for drinks and for food and I would say that the former is better than the latter. I went there for dinner with a group of 8 and while the two soups that several of us had were really great, as was the pork belly with lentils, there were multiple dishes that were incredibly salty (the duck leg and oyster stew in particular come to mind). We didn't try the desserts, but they sounded great and I did enjoy the service we received.

I will say that I have a friend who had an awful experience there on a Saturday night -- the bartenders never did last call, then when it was actually bar time they just started yelling at everybody to get out and physically yanked the drink out of my friend's hand even though he was trying to finish it (I would want to finish my $9 cocktail too....). So yeah. That's my story.
hmmmph

Postby LindsayNicole » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:13 pm

I haven't had the food yet, but we've been twice for cocktails and have been impressed both times. I think I'm in love with the whiskey sour.
LindsayNicole

Postby acereraser » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:55 pm

I think I need rrnate to review their vodka gimlet, and then I will be able to try their wares semi-objectively.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues