MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Tutto Pasta

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Tutto Pasta

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:43 pm

Shorty wrote:What are some Italian places here you think are better than Tutto in Middleton?

Almost any one on this list.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:50 pm

5 minutes to make pasta? Do you cook your noodles in a pressure cooker at home?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby tymexuwm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:55 pm

I have not been in Madison that long, so I don't have comparisons in Madison or Middleton, but I lived in Milwaukee and would recommend Joey Buona's, Louises, Bartolatta's or the Pasta Tree. All have great food, and the dining experience will most likely be a lot better.

I'm working my way around Madison's restaurants so if you have a suggestion for a better pasta place I will definitely try it.
tymexuwm

Postby tymexuwm » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:01 pm

TAsunder wrote:5 minutes to make pasta? Do you cook your noodles in a pressure cooker at home?

Ok, 10 minutes then, remember we are talking about a pasta place where 80% of what was coming out of the kitchen that night was pasta. I would be willing to bet there was a close alternative to my dish that would be ready in 5-10 minutes. I bet Olive Garden could make it happen... but maybe they use said pressure cooker
tymexuwm

Postby wallrock » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:15 pm

Shorty wrote:What are some Italian places here you think are better than Tutto in Middleton?

Vin Santo. No question whatsoever.

Hell, I'd put Villa Dolce above Tutto as well, even though I've always gotten pizza. They do have pasta dishes (which my mother said was good), and I just like the atmosphere of that place more than Tutto's.

I don't necessarily hate the place but I certainly don't hold it up as one of the better spots in Middleton. My experiences have always been along the lines of: 15 minute wait for a table, bartender takes 14 minutes to take my drink order, service is competent but standoffish, food is good but not great, & the price is higher than I felt the meal was worth.
Last edited by wallrock on Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Actually, even though it's a chain, I don't think Biaggi's is all that bad. I've had some relatively good meals there.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kissyfish » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:58 pm

That one above Louisianne's is (or was) very go0od when I went there.

Can't remember the name though.
kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby Shorty » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

Your list has places like Fraboni's, Gino's, Rocky Rococo, Greenbush bar...no way. I'll take Tutto Pasta over places like that. Francesca's and Lombardino's may be better but cost more. I don't know about East side places like Angelo's and Bunkies.

Vin Santo is good but cost more than Tutto, also, and is small and cramped. Villa Dolce has good pizza but not much else. I do like Biaggi's and prices are similar to Tutto, but Biaggi's gets crowded.

I agree with Wallrock that Tutto's food is good but not great, but again, I never have a long wait or slow service there so not sure why people are saying that. Maybe because I get there at 6pm or sooner.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Shorty wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

Your list has places like Fraboni's, Gino's, Rocky Rococo, Greenbush bar...no way.

I assume you have never eaten at the Greenbush.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:55 pm

i've eaten at the greenbush many times. i like it a lot. however, the wait time to get a table, and get an order taken, and get the food, far far far surpasses anything i've ever experienced at tutto pasta middleton. in addition the menu is far more limited, and the quality of the food has taken a downturn in the last 12 months.

i think the food at tutto pasta middleton is pretty good and sometimes very good. the prices at greenbush are not a lot less than tutto pasta.

i think there are many restaurants on that list that are not up to par with tutto pasta middleton.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:09 pm

To the OP - I'd really suggest making pasta at home the night before a race where you have to get up at 4 AM. As you've said, it's not rocket science and you can make it exactly how you'd like it.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:57 pm

Other good Italian restaurants on the west side:

Olivia: I enjoyed my meal there last year, it's still pretty new and I'm not sure how busy it is, but I think it's worth checking out. Esp. when everything else is super busy!

Tuscany Mediterranean Grill: It's inside the Quality Inn. I like that you can watch the kitchen on TV in the dining room as they prepare your food, kinda like Iron Chef! It's not usually busy, most people are going to Great Dane Fitchburg.

The east side has way more quality Italian restaurants, Lombardino's, Osteria Papavero (both pricey and previously mentioned), and for great pizza and pasta at an even better price try Cafe la Bellitalia. (Go early for the breaded ravs, they are always sold out by the time I make it there!)
city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:04 pm

city2countrygal wrote:The east side has way more quality Italian restaurants, Lombardino's, Osteria Papavero (both pricey and previously mentioned), and for great pizza and pasta at an even better price try Cafe la Bellitalia. (Go early for the breaded ravs, they are always sold out by the time I make it there!)

Little-known fact! Lombardino's and Osteria Papavero are both west of the Capitol.

[/wry]
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:54 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Little-known fact! Lombardino's and Osteria Papavero are both west of the Capitol.

Osteria Papavero location

http://www.osteriapapavero.com/Location.html

Just a hair east of the Captial, hence east side.

Oooohhhh, burn. :D
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:43 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Just a hair east of the Captial, hence east side.

Oooohhhh, burn. :D

Burned indeed! This is emblematic of my constant equation of south with west when it comes to Madison geography. OP feels south of the Capitol, thus it might as well be west in my brain. I still haven't gotten this out of my system since moving here. (For example, it takes every ounce of restraint to not refer to Bonfyre as being on the west side.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews