MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 23.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Service: Can we get on the same page here?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Service: Can we get on the same page here?

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:49 pm

Vinnie P wrote:Part of good service is not treating your customers like shit. If you don't like working at a food counter, don't work at a food counter, or learn to act.
Vinnie P wrote:If I let them know what I really thought of them, their project, or if I took my personal frustrations out on them, I'd be out of a job.

And when the wait staff acts like this they often do get fired if the manager knows about it. If you are treated like shit, complain. If a manager hears many complaints about an employee, chances are they too will get fired. If it's a one shot complaint, then maybe not. It could be the customer was just a jackass and wanted to vent.

Vinnie P wrote:Mickey's Dairy Bar.

I'll stand corrected on my assumption it was Mickey's Tavern. I see the word Mickey's and that's what I think.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:45 am

Probably spinning a little off topic here. My only serious service complaints in many years of Madison area dining were a few long waits/rude treatments by a host at Jolly Bob's in the late '90's and haven't stepped foot in that door since.

Unpleasant dining experiences have been more due to issues with other diners - either drunk and out of control; naturally crude, rude & obnoxious; or over-reacting to small, typically easily resolved, situations. I realize dining is a social activity, but mutual respect for other diners should be part & parcel with entry into a public establishment. Sure, there's a sliding scale from behavior in a loud sports bar & grill to that in a fine dining establishment, but those few occasions where people have abandoned all sense of appropriate social etiquette really stand out.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:26 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:For me, it's usually the relationship between overall busy-ness and speed of service. Though pulling an "absolutely no rush on this"/(here's your check, slapped down right next to the plate you're eating off of as I say it) twofer is pretty obnoxious.

My wife & I have become accustomed to passing our check card to the waitperson as soon as the bill arrives, like before the waitperson has a chance to leave the table again. Too many times we've had waitstaff disappear into the abyss after initially dropping off the check.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:38 pm

supaunknown wrote:My wife & I have become accustomed to passing our check card to the waitperson as soon as the bill arrives, like before the waitperson has a chance to leave the table again. Too many times we've had waitstaff disappear into the abyss after initially dropping off the check.

That's the very reason I take sufficient cash with me (including small bills) when we dine out. That way I can leave the exact amount (including tip) and then leave, without waiting for my card to be charged or for change.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
supaunknown wrote:My wife & I have become accustomed to passing our check card to the waitperson as soon as the bill arrives, like before the waitperson has a chance to leave the table again. Too many times we've had waitstaff disappear into the abyss after initially dropping off the check.

That's the very reason I take sufficient cash with me (including small bills) when we dine out. That way I can leave the exact amount (including tip) and then leave, without waiting for my card to be charged or for change.

We try to do the same whenever possible, but sometimes we're lite on cash.

I remember one time when I was a young man out on a rare date. I ordered a pasta dish and naively asked if it came with a choice of potato. Not only did I learn that pasta isn't usually accompanied by potato, but also that snooty waiters really piss me off.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:39 am

jjoyce wrote:I've never waited 40 minutes -- let alone 2 hours -- for food mainly because I would have walked looonngggg before then! Are you kidding me? Are you really this much of a glutton for punishment? Do you expect anyone to believe that you sat in a restaurant for 2 hours waiting for your food?

Let's see...it took ten minutes for a waitron to show up to get our drink orders, which we let slide because the place was busy and was in its first week in business. Ten minutes more for drinks and bread to arrive and our orders to be taken. Fifteen minutes for salads to arrive. That's thirty-five minutes. When the entrées hadn't arrived in a reasonable amount of time after we were done with our salads and we asked about them, there were assurances at fairly regular intervals that our entrées were going to be out any minute. When we complained about the wait, we were offered a free dessert, which we declined, but no offer was made to comp any part of the meal that we had already eaten.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby roadkill bill » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:39 pm

My only consistent gripe is with ordering at a counter or bar - either food or drinks. It is not unusual to see four people standing behind the bar/counter doing some not-particularly-urgent things, or simply talking, but then wandering off instead of taking my order. And the place isn't busy.

There are a couple of bar/restaurant places where it is unclear whether we should wait for a wait person to come to the table, or whether we should go up to the bar to order. I sit at the table, looking thirsty or hungry, then try to flag someone down. If no one appears in a reasonable time, I go up to the bar. Often even there I can't get a beer or place a sandwich order.

Normally I'd not bother going to these places if this is a consistent issue, but some are very popular with friends, have good food/drink options, or someone else choses the setting for the group.

When the ratio of staff to customers standing at the bar is about even, I think I should be able to buy a drink without sending up a flare. And I tip well, if you'd just come over and give me a damn drink.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby coldspotter » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:40 pm

LaughingGirl wrote:Don’t hover, interrupting conversation with pat questions, like “How was everyone’s first bite?”

I was invited as part of a group to a downtown restaurant last year for a birthday dinner. Our server was so obnoxious and intrusive that it was very hard to enjoy the meal/company. He clearly thought he was adorable and hilarious and couldn't take a hint. If I had been there of my own choice, I would have spoken to the management.

Other than that, I have found service in Madison overall to be quite good. There are a lot of great servers out there. It's a tough job.

Perhaps the head bartender (Tim/Jim?) at Delaney's has a second job downtown. Mr. Smarmy was all over the conversation I was having with my companion and interrupted us several times to chime in despite the fact that he should have been tending to other customers across the bar. He seemed to have no problems putting down half of the patrons he eventually did serve either, letting us in on his opinion of what people were wearing, how dumb he thought they were, etc.,. We were relieved when our table was ready and gladly went off to dine, only to be rewarded with Mr. Smarmy #2's (Host Dan) constant interruptions. The food was great, but after dealing with those two overly solicitous idiots, we decided to revisit every other steakhouse in town before we would ever consider returning.
coldspotter

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:02 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Also, been rudely corrected by more than one server when attempting to pronounce menu items or wines.

The last two times I've gone to Coopers for a beer, the server (same one both times) pointedly corrected me when I ordered a De Koninck. "A De Kah-ninck?" On the first visit I just let it go. But last time I held my ground: "It's De Koh-ninck." "Really?" Yes, really. If a couple months in Antwerp taught me anything, it was how to pronounce the local brew. Though people there don't typically order a De Koninck, they order een Bolleke, for the bowl-shaped glass De Koninck is always served in. Always, that is, unless you're at Coopers, where they serve it in the wrong glass after they incorrectly correct your pronunciation.

The server was cheerful and speedy, so no harm, no foul. But I wonder, is it proper service etiquette to correct a customer?
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Ducatista wrote:The last two times I've gone to Coopers for a beer, the server (same one both times) pointedly corrected me when I ordered a De Koninck. "A De Kah-ninck?" On the first visit I just let it go. But last time I held my ground: "It's De Koh-ninck." "Really?" Yes, really. If a couple months in Antwerp taught me anything, it was how to pronounce the local brew. Though people there don't typically order a De Koninck, they order een Bolleke, for the bowl-shaped glass De Koninck is always served in. Always, that is, unless you're at Coopers, where they serve it in the wrong glass after they incorrectly correct your pronunciation.

This is excellent news, because it means that I pronounced De Koninck correctly the first time I ordered it. I also got the "De Kah-ninck" correction and my buddy gave me a bit of a hard time over it.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Cheers!
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Ducatista wrote:But I wonder, is it proper service etiquette to correct a customer?

Personally I hope so. I like it when I'm told the correct way to say something I'd just butcher if left to my own guesses.

Of course I'd want them to be right....I don't need another guess.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:16 pm

dave esmond wrote: I like it when I'm told the correct way to say something I'd just butcher if left to my own guesses.

That's how I learned to properly order a Smithwick's. I won't make that mistake again. Of course being corrected by someone with a soft Irish brogue took some of the sting out of it.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Cooking & Food issues