MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Light Snow
Collapse Photo Bar

Tutto Pasta

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Tutto Pasta

Postby TAsunder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:26 am

Can we now tackle the question of whether Lombardino's is on the east side? I feel that one is more pressing.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kovalic » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:28 pm

The Osteria is pricier than Tutto, yes, but I've always found it a solid value, for the quality. And for nine bucks or so, a plate of their pasta for lunch is just terrific. IMHO, YMMV, of course. That and Lombardino's make me miss Italy juuuuuust that little bit less. :-)

Went to the Osteria for dinner a few weeks ago, and was blown away. The charcuterie plate alone was a thing of beauty. More rustic than Sardine's, but it had tongue on it. Woot!

Had a really good, interesting lunch at Francesca's al Lago, off the Capitol, last Sunday. Makes me want to return and sample more of the menu. PLUS: *very* kid-friendly.
Kovalic

Postby babelfish » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:29 pm

kissyfish wrote:
Shorty wrote:What are some Italian places here you think are better than Tutto in Middleton?

That one above Louisianne's is (or was) very go0od when I went there.

Can't remember the name though.

That's Vin Santo. Shorty mentioned it is more expensive than Tutto, but you also have to mention that the food is better, service is better, and most meals (and desserts) are large enough that you can split them. I recommend the Linguini al Frutti di Mare and the Tiramisu!
babelfish

Postby acereraser » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Little-known fact! Lombardino's and Osteria Papavero are both west of the Capitol.

Osteria Papavero location

http://www.osteriapapavero.com/Location.html

Just a hair east of the Captial, hence east side.

Oooohhhh, burn. :D

Wow, the color scheme on Papavero's site is aggravating. Hard not to question their sense of aesthetics.

It also contains no other information except their location.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:18 pm

The more current version is: http://www.osteriapapavero.net/

Although it's either extremely outdated or extremely proactive. ("WE ARE TAKING RESERVATIONS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY!!!")
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Kovalic wrote:Had a really good, interesting lunch at Francesca's al Lago, off the Capitol, last Sunday. Makes me want to return and sample more of the menu. PLUS: *very* kid-friendly.

Agreed-- I have been going to Francesca's more and more for lunch. Changing up the menu every few weeks is a smart move for a restaurant that's centrally located for a lot of 9 to 5ers who grow weary of the same options. My daughter gets treated like a princess when we both go there; plus it's reasonably priced across the board. I think kids eat free on Sundays?

Osteria Papavero is one of my favorite restaurants in all of Madison. The food's just outstanding.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby Marvell » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:27 pm

TAsunder wrote:Can we now tackle the question of whether Lombardino's is on the east side? I feel that one is more pressing.

It's on the east side of MIddleton...
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:08 pm

rrnate wrote:To the OP - I'd really suggest making pasta at home the night before a race where you have to get up at 4 AM. As you've said, it's not rocket science and you can make it exactly how you'd like it.

That was my first thought as well. If carb-loading at that hour of the day, coupled with having to be awake 8 hours later was on my agenda, I'd be at home with some salted water at a rolling boil, waiting for the pasta to be added while I whipped up a simple sauce. But that's just me - I know restaurants have to make money, but I always feel guilty ordering pasta somewhere where I'm going to pay upwards of $15 a plate for it.

There was no excuse for the chef to say that they're too busy to make you what you actually ordered. But I'm with Book Police in that you should have stood up for yourself (if time was that much of an issue, see my previous paragraph).

That said, I've never been to the TP in Middleton. I know the GM of the one on King, but I've only been there once - for the lunch buffet - and I enjoyed it. I love the meatballs. The service was very attentive, though that may have been because A) it was around 1:30 and the lunch and the crowd was gone, so the place was practically empty, B) because we know the GM or c) A and B.
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby tymexuwm » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:25 pm

beenie wrote:That was my first thought as well. If carb-loading at that hour of the day, coupled with having to be awake 8 hours later was on my agenda, I'd be at home with some salted water at a rolling boil, waiting for the pasta to be added while I whipped up a simple sauce. But that's just me - I know restaurants have to make money, but I always feel guilty ordering pasta somewhere where I'm going to pay upwards of $15 a plate for it.

I agree making it myself was a smarter and easier option, but when you have family staying with you and want to go out for dinner, its kind of hard to say no. Point well taken to make it myself, but like you said it's still no excuse for an owner of a restaurant to say something like that to a customer.
tymexuwm

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews