MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Faouzi's 4245 West Beltline Hwy - great food

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Faouzi's 4245 West Beltline Hwy - great food

Postby uneditedtruth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:26 pm

A recent trip To Faouzi's revealed there were no other customers. The menu was an odd mishmash of middleeastern and all-american burgers/fries. The place stunk to high heaven and we left quickly.
uneditedtruth

Postby O.J. » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:00 am

I went there Friday for the first time. The food was solid, but, for some reason, there was a major delay in the preparation of the pastilla(we got our entrees about 45 minutes after our appetizers). The wait would have been much more tolerable if they didn't have the same song playing over and over. Is there only one Moroccan song suitable for dining? My gf and I got excited when the cook came out to the stereo, hoping for a change, but he only turned the volume up. In the future, we'll be ordering the pastilla to go.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby beenie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:31 pm

We went there for maybe the 3rd or 4th time one night last week - the sauce sampler had a little something extra on it - it turned out to be baba ganoush, which was delicious. The server told us that for a while, the chef had been batting around the idea of adding it to the sampler, and ours was the order where he finally took the plunge - I'm glad he did. She also mentioned that they're changing the name of the sauce sampler to Taste of Morocco (I also don't care that guacamole isn't Moroccan, I love their guacamole).
beenie
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:04 am

beenie wrote:She also mentioned that they're changing the name of the sauce sampler to Taste of Morocco (I also don't care that guacamole isn't Moroccan, I love their guacamole).

I kind of felt bad bagging on the name, because it seems like everybody took a chance on ordering it anyway, and everyone loved it. But Taste of Morocco is a fine name, and not really inaccurate at all. In writing my review, I learned that Morocco is indeed a noteworthy cultivar of avocadoes outside of their usual growing region.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LargeMarge » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:14 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I kind of felt bad bagging on the name, because it seems like everybody took a chance on ordering it anyway, and everyone loved it. But Taste of Morocco is a fine name, and not really inaccurate at all. In writing my review, I learned that Morocco is indeed a noteworthy cultivar of avocadoes outside of their usual growing region.

It was/is a strange name. However, it was because of that strange name and mention in your article that I remembered to order it. I will be even more excited if they start regularly including baba ganoush.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby NullDevice » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:44 pm

O.J. wrote: The wait would have been much more tolerable if they didn't have the same song playing over and over. Is there only one Moroccan song suitable for dining?

If it's the song I think it is, then it's not even Moroccan, it's Algerian.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dead ed » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:48 am

I so much wanted this place to be my 'go to' middle eastern. Something authentic at a reasonable cost and not a chain - this is asking a lot for the west side of Madison, I know.

Alas, the food was just too uneven. Some things were good. Others not so much.

We started with the Sauce Sampler. There was a pile of mashed beans that was like something I have when I'm half done making hummus - no real spice or flavor to it. There was some couscous that rocked.

The Moroccan Curry was ok, but didn't really do anything special for me - the spices didn't work off of each other well enough. The lamb kebobs were really good. The rice tasted like it had butter or butter flavoring in it.

The service was glacial. A Friday nite and one server was doing everything: seating, taking orders, serving, bussing and charging cards/working the register - is that really realistic?

In the future, maybe I will find one dish here that I really like, and just order it to go.

dead ed.
dead ed

Postby NullDevice » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:32 pm

Bear in mind that Morrocan food != middle eastern food. There's some overlap but they're generally very distinct culinary cultures.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LaughingGirl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:57 pm

Just saw a comment on the Madison A-Z blog saying that Faouzi's seems to be gone. I unfortunately never even made it over there.
LaughingGirl

Postby okiebp » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 am

Faouzi's Restaurant

Update 2/7/11: confirmed - Faouzi's is closed. Thanks for the heads up, Edith.

In a word: Something for everyone, even if it's not specifically Moroccan.

The specs: #0567
Address, hours & details via Isthmus; reviews at Wisconsin State Journal, Yelp, Isthmus; listing at Eat Drink Madison; chatter at The Daily Page; official web site, Facebook,
okiebp

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:46 am

Yep, drove by today. Empty as a tomb on Easter.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews