MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Wollersheim Cab Sauv. Worst wine ever?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Wollersheim Cab Sauv. Worst wine ever?

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Interesting aside: Hungarian count Agoston Haraszthy tried to grow grapes in the late 1840s at what is now Wollersheim Winery, but his vines froze out. He then moved to California and was instrumental in starting the Napa Valley viniculture.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Osso Muriendo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:09 am

Just noticed that the Owner mentioned that he doesnt make a cab sauv. Obviously he would know, It was so long ago that I can't be certain. I do know that it was a Wollershiem, or at least bought at the vineyard but i cant specify beyond that.
Osso Muriendo

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:19 am

I believe you didn't like it, but given everything else, I have to wonder if you were technically correct to say it was the worst wine ever. I know they have several wines that I don't like at all but at the wine tastings they have a strong following and get good reviews. And vice versa.

So I'm good with the fact that you got a bottle you didn't like, but since we don't know if you drank it within its proper time window (lots of them say some variation of "best between x and y years old"), or found one that just wasn't right for your palate, we can't say anything else.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Osso Muriendo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:40 am

Well I'm not sure I meant that I literally thought that that particular wine was the objectively judged worst wine in the history of winemaking. But it was without a doubt the worst wine i had drank out of a bottle. One of the beauties of alcohols is that different drinks can taste markedly different to different ppl and under different circumstances. All that being said, Ive had reds that didnt agree with me but I never felt compelled to not finish my glass before that bottle, and no one else at dinner had any interest in finishing theirs either.
Osso Muriendo

Postby rabble » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:15 am

Osso Muriendo wrote:...but I never felt compelled to not finish my glass before that bottle, and no one else at dinner had any interest in finishing theirs either.

Ah. So you weren't the only one. Now I begin to wonder if the bottle was too old or perhaps corked.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Osso Muriendo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:06 am

It was bought during the autumn and drank at thanksgiving. That should rule out the old age issue and corked wine is pretty obviously the fault of the producer.
Osso Muriendo

Postby rabble » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:21 am

Osso Muriendo wrote:It was bought during the autumn and drank at thanksgiving. That should rule out the old age issue and corked wine is pretty obviously the fault of the producer.

Which producer produces no corked wine?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:39 am

rabble wrote:Which producer produces no corked wine?

This one:
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Hm-I'm a moderate Wollershieim fan (as good of wine as one can really do for Wisconsin), so hate to complain, BUT....

I just opened a bottle of 2007 Domaine du Sac that has been properly stored at home, and it tasted awful. Very vinegary-tossed the whole bottle. A cork issue? Remembered reading this thread and had to come back to see the year. 2007, too. Coincidence or a problem?
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:31 pm

all my peeps drink prairie fume or they drink nothing at all (when it comes to wollersheim)
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:34 pm

depinmad wrote:all my peeps drink prairie fume or they drink nothing at all
Huh. Which tastes better?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails