MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Two new restaurants on the West Side

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Two new restaurants on the West Side

Postby okiebp » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:25 am

Looks like we are getting a JJ's Fish and Chicken and a Harold's Chicken Shack.
The Harold's Chicken Shack is in the little strip mall by Woodman's. Same mall that has the Domino's Pizza and use to have Wingstop.
The JJ"s Fish and Chicken is in the other little strip mall down the street. It is right next to the laundry mat.
Never had JJ's or Harold's.
okiebp

Re: Two new restaurants on the West Side

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:13 am

Is JJ's Fish and Chicken related to the Jin's cart that appears in the State Street area?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CoffeeJones » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:28 pm

CoffeeJones

Postby Petro » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:13 pm

Oh man.

Here's hoping for the total Harold's experience - bulletproof glass, flickering neon light, surly help, and liberal hot sauce.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Stomach » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:29 pm

CoffeeJones wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jj%27s+fish+and+chicken

Good stuff. I prefer bing though.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 pm

Click on the "pictures" tab of the JJ's website.

This is why you are fat.

There's a JJ's in the mini-mall off East Wash not far from the pedestrian bridge that injured McDonalds. I haven't been in there yet, not that I wouldn't. I miss Popeye's.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:29 am

OMG Harold's. Every University of Chicago student knows that nothing goes better with late-night Thucydides reading than Harold's chicken. Just try having a Melian dialog through scratched plexiglass.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Petro » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:30 pm

I drove by Harold's yesterday to see a sign up saying "Grand Opening is only a few days away!"

...and no signs of bulletproof glass.
Petro
Forum Addict

Postby KrazyKat » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Best Review Ever:
Jj Fish & Chicken, East Wash
"By pregnantbitchyso - Sep 9, 2010
My kids father and I wanted to try the food out we order a gyro meal and fish meal and let me tell you it was cold the cheese was not melted the tables and seats where not clean at all crumbs and greasy all on the table and floor late opening up and the worst thing I ask them for some extra ketchup packet and hotsauce the said the charge if you want more are you for real I only got two ketchup packets and you real think some one is going to pay 35 cents for ketchup.....over all bad sverice and also this place don't come close to chicago's jj fish place... to any one that eats gyro I can tell you now that they meat tasted as if it was out all nigth... cooked food from the other day should not be serve the next day to your customers at all. 9/8/10‎
maps.google.com
0 out of 0 people found this review helpful. Was this review helpful? Yes - No - Flag as inappropriate"
(sorry I don't know how to put in link neatly: http://maps.google.com/maps/place?pws=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=jj's+fish+and+chicken&fb=1&gl=us&hq=jj's+fish+and+chicken&hnear=Madison,+WI&cid=1657002063696592411).
Krazy
KrazyKat

Postby workboy7 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:04 pm

JJ's sucks...'nuff said.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby bassbari » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:31 pm

I heard that IHOP is moving in where the old Starbucks/Gumby's was on University.
I thought that chain was on its last legs. They are all closed but one. It used to be a great place for the after bar crowd or breakfast any time. I remember the old one on the curve at Gorham and University. They had a cop in there just to keep the people from stiffing the wait person. Takes the expression "eat and run" to a new level.
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby CoffeeJones » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:43 pm

bassbari wrote:I heard that IHOP is moving in where the old Starbucks/Gumby's was on University.
I thought that chain was on its last legs. They are all closed but one. It used to be a great place for the after bar crowd or breakfast any time. I remember the old one on the curve at Gorham and University. They had a cop in there just to keep the people from stiffing the wait person. Takes the expression "eat and run" to a new level.

IHOPs are very successful just about everywhere else in the country, and to the best of my knowledge the one on E. Wash does very well here, as well. The new location on University is owned by Chuck Chvala. Yes, the one and only.
CoffeeJones

Postby MadMind75 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:28 am

So the TDP Review of Harold's is up, and while I don't have anything of consequence to add (I've never eaten there), I do have a thought or two.
Harold's does look like a place I'd like to try, as I'm a fan of simple, no-frills type joints (similar to Milwaukee's Suburpia), whose food and cheap prices are the only ingredients, who pay no regard to things like aesthetics or crafting a pleasant dine-in experience.
The big problem here, and the reason I think that the reviewer may be right in saying that it won't last, is the west-side location.
To me, this sort of place seems to me like it'd have a much better chance of success if it were downtown.

Looks like the review of Harold's was preceded by a TDP Review of JJ's Fish & Chicken... from back in 2008! I think the East Wash location opened back in 2007, so it isn't exactly "new" to Madison, just new to the west side.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:39 pm

The review states "Vegetarians who eat fish will survive here." Vegetarians who eat fish are not vegetarians. This is the second review in less than a year that made that mistake.
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm

LargeMarge wrote:The review states "Vegetarians who eat fish will survive here." Vegetarians who eat fish are not vegetarians. This is the second review in less than a year that made that mistake.

It may be galling to some, but the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary (5th Ed.) does indeed allow for the flexibility of the English language in this case. It defines "vegetarian" as:

"A person who on principle abstains from animal food; esp. one who avoids meat but will consume dairy produce and eggs and sometimes also fish."
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews