MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Another Mediocre Badger Team

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Another Mediocre Badger Team

Postby gargantua » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:56 pm

I have had it. I've followed these clowns since the 62 Rose Bowl as a little kid. Couldn't understand my Grand Dad's cynicism. Well I get it now. Here comes another 8-5 season, at best.

I'm done. Took more than 40 years but I finally will be spending my Saturday afternoons productively.

Not all their fault. Put this town and campus in Southern Florida and they'd never lose, but this is our fate. 8 and 5, with at least 3 of the 8 being gimmes. Not much different than the 60's when you take away the cupcakes.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Another Mediocre Badger Team

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:13 am

Agreed. Watching the Oregon and Alabama games Saturday night, I realized we just can't keep up. The best we're probably going to do is a Capital One/Outback Bowl game in good years and a Champs/Alamo scenario in OK years. It's sad that the Rose Bowl has gone to BCS land, as we won't be sniffing that anytime in the near future.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:40 am

Yeah, Minnesota does suck pretty hard.

I'm not as much disappointed with the Badgers' performance as I am bewildered by the hype they get from the professional prognosticators. I mean, I like hearing national media types saying that Wisconsin's got a strong shot at taking the Big 10 title and all that, but I've always kind of wondered: where's it coming from?
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:49 am

It was probably a little more realistic before Chris Borland was reinjured. Losing a playmaker on defense like that hurt them a lot.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:05 am

The Badgers returned 10 offensive starters(after leading the Big Ten in scoring and total offense last year), 6 on defense and both kickers, after thoroughly outplaying a supposedly much more talented Miami team in the Champs bowl. Their preseason ranking was certainly warranted; alas, the Badgers never seem to live up to lofty expectations.

Garagntua is absolutely right, losing Borland was a killer. We really need a playmaker at QB, some corners that can actually cover, and special teams that aren't "special."

That was just one rough loss on the road against a pretty damn good team, but this has the same feel as in the past. We'll have to play extremely well to beat OSU or Iowa, and Michigan and Northwestern ain't gonna be easy, either.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:25 am

One of the excuses mentioned on post-game coverage was that Bielema is still "growing into" the head coaching role. That just seems unacceptable...and if true, how many years are on the coach-maturation plan? It seems year one was an anomaly - getting the keys to Barry's bus and putting it in cruise control. But if Bielema personally took the riens on the special teams, and they're now the weakest phase of the game...have to question whether coaching is up to caliber to contend, or just adequate to pretend.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:34 am

Bielema no longer coaches special teams, D Line coach Charlie Partridge does. It certainly doesn't seem like the change has done us any good, yet.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:10 pm

Total bummer the way lost the game. Sloppy. Ugly. Dropped passes, terrible special teams, pourous defense. Tolzien was OK.

Scheduling powder puffs early in the season sure doesn't seem like the smartest idea when the Badgers get dominated in their Big Ten opener like that.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:16 pm

gargantua wrote: Not much different than the 60's when you take away the cupcakes.

I started attending Badger football games when I was a freshman in 1966. The team was a hell of a lot worse back then, cupcakes or not.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:52 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
gargantua wrote: Not much different than the 60's when you take away the cupcakes.

I started attending Badger football games when I was a freshman in 1966. The team was a hell of a lot worse back then, cupcakes or not.

The 62-63 Rose Bowl team was pretty good, but yeah, the rest of the 60's, particularly the 0-23-1 streak in the Coatta years were pretty awful.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Classy move by Coach B going for 2 when the game was out of reach. At least Minnesota sucks so bad that there's very little chance they can throw it back in our face.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BrianV66 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:04 pm

O.J. wrote:Classy move by Coach B going for 2 when the game was out of reach. At least Minnesota sucks so bad that there's very little chance they can throw it back in our face.

Especially when their coach isn't likely to be around to keep the memory alive...

Q: Coach, why did you go for 2?

Woody Hayes: Because they wouldn't let me go for 3!

(after leading Michigan by 36)
BrianV66

Postby LoopBo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:29 am

Bielema was barfing all over the Dry Bean bathroom a couple years ago. Some guy was taking video and then one of the Coach's handlers snatched the dude's camera and ran out of the bathroom. That man was Scott Walker. Or Tom Barrett....I can't remember exactly.
LoopBo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:58 am

O.J. wrote:Classy move by Coach B going for 2 when the game was out of reach. At least Minnesota sucks so bad that there's very little chance they can throw it back in our face.

If Jim Tressel didn't like it there may be payback yet. On national TV.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:14 am

BrianV66 wrote:

Especially when their coach isn't likely to be around to keep the memory alive...

Q: Coach, why did you go for 2?

Woody Hayes: Because they wouldn't let me go for 3!

(after leading Michigan by 36)

I actually wouldn't have had a problem had he admitted to such, because I think it's fairly obvious this was his motivation. He knows Punky Brewster will be canned after this season, and wanted to rub it in his face one last time.

Instead, he makes up a bullshit excuse. Why didn't he go for 2 when John Clay scored to put us up by 25 with about 12 minutes left in the game? He could have also offered an entirely excusable rationale-- preparing his team for any and every situation, especially with #1 OSU coming to town this week, and then going on the road to Iowa next. "While I'm sorry if any Gopher fans feel that I was running up the score, I refuse to apologize for preparing my team for any eventuality it may face in the coming weeks, especially when you consider the quality of our upcoming opponents." End of story.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking