MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Lutefisk Dinners

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Lutefisk Dinners

Postby MadisonOntheCheap » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Lutefisk season is here. The Vermont Lutheran Church dinner is Saturday, October 16th -- and there are a good many other opportunities between then and the beginning of December.

For the second year in a row, Madison on the Cheap has compiled a list of lutefisk dinners around Wisconsin. If you're interested in locating a dinner at a time and place that fits your schedule, please take a look:

http://madisononthecheap.com/lutefisk-dinners-2010/
MadisonOntheCheap

Re: Lutefisk Dinners

Postby lysander » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:09 pm

I'll be honest, MotC, I came here almost specifically to flame you for some sort of spam. What with your first post being blatent self promotion.

But this is actually a cool list. Your blog has useful info. Your name might be kind of off-putting, like you're hocking 2-for-1 coupons to Old Country Buffet, but I will be checking it periodically.

Have you personally been to any of these places for lutefisk? If so, how was it? How does it compare to others? What's the atmosphere like?
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:43 am

Not being from WI or the North, what exactly is Lutefisk?
the description sounds disgusting.
okiebp

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:52 am

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadisonOntheCheap » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:30 pm

We attended the lutefisk dinner at Vermont Lutheran Church this past Saturday. It's very well-organized and features real china and silverware and loads of food served family-style. Any time a dish or platter became empty, someone at the table would hold it up in the air and within seconds a waiter would pick it up and bring refills.

The lutefisk was excellent (although it's arguably an acquired taste). The lefse was made with real potatoes. The sides were very good (although people weren't there for the green beans). The dessert tray at the end of the meal was spectacular -- more than a dozen kinds of sweets, including krumcake and rosettes.

Seating is at communal tables of 10. Everyone at our table was a veteran of many [different] lutefisk dinners and all were of the opinion that this one is the best in Wisconsin.
MadisonOntheCheap

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:43 pm

Being part Swedish, and having been served lutefisk at holiday meals in my youth, it boggles my mind that people would actually pay money to eat it. The concept of having the words "lutefisk" and "fundraiser" in the same sentence just does not compute... :shock:

Now a bacon dinner fundraiser, that I'd pay good money for....
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:45 pm

In the northern part of the state, the equivalent for small German churches is/was the potato pancake dinner. If anyone is aware of a church around here that has one of those, I will be there with bells on. Used to go to 3 or 4 of them each fall as kids. The really good ones you had to sit and wait for an hour or so to get seated. On the plus side, you remained full for a week afterwards.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 am

MadisonOntheCheap wrote: The lefse was made with real potatoes.

Alright, this may sound like a stupid question but, how else would one make lefse?
(Never been a big fan of lutefisk, but I grew up snacking on Grandma's lefse.)
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:03 am

jman111 wrote:
MadisonOntheCheap wrote: The lefse was made with real potatoes.

Alright, this may sound like a stupid question but, how else would one make lefse?

http://www.pennfoods.com/html/lefse.html
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:08 am

I couldn't see the ingredients, but wouldn't this stuff have to be made with real potatoes?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:50 am

jman111 wrote:I couldn't see the ingredients, but wouldn't this stuff have to be made with real potatoes?

Yes, but it's been pre-processed. Come on.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:54 am

Mine was a legitimate question- can lefse be made with something other than real potatoes? C'mon what?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:58 am

Never heard of instant potatoes, jman?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:00 am

MadisonOnTheCheap, you come back here this instant (see what I did there) and apologize to Professor Jman for not using fingerquotes on "real". You've grievously injured his sense of literalism.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:10 am

Holy Fuck, sorry I asked.
I was wondering if by "with real potatoes" the OP meant "from scratch" or if there truly was a different way to make lefse (i.e. with something other than potatoes).

Yes, I've heard of instant potatoes. I'm now aware of pre-packaged lefse mix (which, I assume, is made with real potatoes).

OK, so MadisonOnTheCheap, were you comparing the lefse at the dinner to the use of a pre-processed mix, or is there another way (besides from scratch or from mix) to make lefse?
Thanks

BookCop- you seem to want to continue some sort of personal grudge. Would I be correct in this assumption? I'd just like to know so I can reciprocate, if so desired.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues