MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Need a suit

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Need a suit

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:56 pm

I could use some Foron advice. I'm in the market for a new (men's) suit, and could use some suggestions on places to go.

I'm not particularly picky regarding brand/style, etc., but will pay a bit more for knowledgeable and helpful sales staff.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Need a suit

Postby Walter » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:22 pm

Macy's. Very knowledgeable staff in Men's Fitted and the manager Wayne is very good. They do send out for tailoring so if you need something immediately, let them know and they will do their best to accommodate.

However, as I have seen your magnificent build, keep in mind the stock in 58 Athletic may be limited.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Evansvillehousehusband has bought a few suits from Men's Wearhouse on Mineral Point. I've been impressed with their knowledge of fit, fashion, and quailty of manufacture, as well as country of origin.

Their tailoring is excellent too, we've never had to get anything adjusted more than once.
evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:58 pm

I'll give a qualified "meh" to Men's Wearhouse. Good prices, decent selection, but service was for shit. Get a suit at the right price, that fits your most challenging proportion, and take it to Monetti's on University for serious tailoring. They're, like, Italian and everything.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:09 pm

Gotta agree with Bookie on the meh for Men's Warehouse. The prices are cheap, but so's the material and workmanship.
I dug the service at S & K for my wedding suit. Through the years my bod has morphed from string bean to pear. They tailored a nice suit that fit me perfectly.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kittenwithawhip » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:19 am

This has you written all over it:
http://www.dressthatman.com/view-SUIT1017.htm
kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby Crockett » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:50 pm

I just donated three really nice suits to the Goodwill on near Home Depot on the West Side. If you're tall you might want to check them out.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:58 pm

How much do you want to spend and how good do you wanna look? If it's pretty conservative, then the department stores or Jos. Bank are fine. If you walk in and the guy or gal working looks kinda slobby, hang a U-turn. You want somebody who is going to steer you in the right direction on material and fit, unless you absolutely know what you're looking for.

If you want a cheap suit that's serviceable, go to Target. Seriously. They sell a decent black suit that doesn't look horrible and their shirts/ties don't look like they came from Target, if you know what I mean. It's not going to last very long, but maybe you don't need it to.

I'd stay away from Men's Wearhouse, but just because I'm not sure I trust their sales people to point you in the right sartorial direction.

If you want to look a little nattier, head to Jazzman on State Street. They carry Calvin Klein stuff which is usually pretty affordable and I think looks good on just about anybody (unless Walter has your size pegged!).

And if you want a REALLY nice suit that you'll pay a lot of money for (four figures) and get the service that goes along with it, try that place on Monroe Street next to the music store.

Other tips (I'm no clothes horse, but I've bought a few suits and my dad is a retired CPA who wore nice suits daily): My nicest suit is from a vintage clothing store in Minneapolis. I had to have it altered, but it cost me $40, so who cares? Look up Tatters if you're ever up there, but Chicago has some nice vintage stores that have nice stuff. I would also recommend bringing a female companion with you. Not to stereotype the fairer sex, but if you have a woman with style in your life, she's going to provide an eye you can trust. They generally look for details more than dudes do.

If this is going to be your go-to suit for one or two things a year for the next, say, ten years, get something dark with a subtle pattern. I bought a dark navy pinstriped suit about ten years ago and it still looks fine, mainly because it doesn't have funky lapels or four buttons or anything nutty. Also, make sure it's wool, but not heavy fabric, so you can wear it in all seasons and so it stays pressed and looking good.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm

jjoyce wrote:If you want to look a little nattier, head to Jazzman on State Street. They carry Calvin Klein stuff which is usually pretty affordable and I think looks good on just about anybody (unless Walter has your size pegged!).

My husband has had good luck with suits (2) at Jazzman. Thumbs up from him for the experience, thumbs up from me for the result.
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:22 pm

The Suit Excursion: A Follow-Up

Decided to give Macy's a first shot last night, and it went well enough for me to plunk down some cash. (Incidentally, supa, it seems that S&K has been bought out by Men's Wearhouse. Not sure how that might have affected them, but that was going to be my second stop anyway.)

Found one in basic black; looked generic enough to last until I don't fit it anymore. Should work for weddings, funerals, interviews, gigs, etc. Tommy Hilfiger, I think. On sale.

Naturally, as Walter pointed out earlier, I needed a few alterations. The attendant's eyes widened to dinner plates as he breathlessly ejaculated, "Sir, your endowments are on a scale heretofore never seen in our fair shoppe! I'm not sure we have enough material to take out the biceps, chest, and crotch to present you properly." Then he snickered and marked the pants legs to be shortened.

They actually do in-store tailoring, but ship it out if they get busy. Sounds like mine will stay in. All in all, spent maybe 45 minutes in the store. I pick up the pants later this week.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:00 pm

And by the way, when my wife goes clothes shopping, she takes me with as her stylist.

Girlfriend. <SNAP><SNAP><SNAP>
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:43 pm

I second Macy's and Jazzman. Two fairly typical tailored suits from Macy's; one a classic navy two button wool suit and the other a 3- season grey Calvin Klein three button. Both were altered on the premises, not sure if they do that at Hilldale. For the second suit I went during a sale AND opened up a Macy's charge so I got a huge discount. I know many are anti-credit card here but my attitude is if it can save me boatloads of cash, I apply, use them for that initial purchase, then never again. Unless I get rewards like with the Gap/Banana/Old Navy or Amazon cards which I pay off immediately after a purchase and continue to get great coupons and freebies.

Jazzman is the best men's shop in town bar none. I don't shop there often but get great deals on Seven jeans, Ben Sherman, Fred Perry, etc. when they have their twice annual sales. If you are buying a suit there they carry Calvin Klein and some other good brands, and seasonal suits can be very cheap. Just recently (end of summer sale) they had linen CK suits for a third of the original price. A dude I know was rocking one at a recent wedding and he looked sharp. They were out of my size during the sale, so I got a very nice dark grey Michael Kors blazer instead--also a huge savings.

FWIW I like Banana Republic suits and blazers OK, and you can get a good deal there by opening a charge account. They have an outlet in Johnson Creek where I got a great deal on a black blazer recently.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:19 pm

boston_jeff wrote:For the second suit I went during a sale AND opened up a Macy's charge so I got a huge discount. I know many are anti-credit card here but my attitude is if it can save me boatloads of cash, I apply, use them for that initial purchase, then never again.

Yep, did that too. Saved an additional 15%, I believe.

I considered Jazzman too, but their hours don't really mesh with my evening availability (open till 7 M-Th, 6 on F-Sat, 5 Sun). I was also under the impression they were pretty pricey outside of sales (like their annual 50% shindig), but I'll give them another look when I'm in the area.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby iwiw99 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 pm

Jazzman is doing the 50% today.

I have to say that the best suit I have bought was from Barney's in NYC. (Zegna), It cost me a small fortune. God, that was money I wish I still had.

That being said, I got a lot of compliments and sometimes a suit needs to say that.
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Got the email, wished I still lived in Madison. That sale is mint.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Catch All