MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 15, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 53.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

1982 kicks 2008's ass a thousand times over

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Postby FlyOver Gallery » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:46 pm

personally, I always thought 1986 was the best year for movies in the US

Aliens
Big Trouble in Little China, starring Kurt Russell, Blue Velvet
The Color of Money
Down and Out in Beverly Hills
Down by Law
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Fly
Hannah and Her Sisters
Highlander
Hoosiers
Labyrinth
Little Shop of Horrors
Manhunter
Mona Lisa
Platoon
River's Edge
Round Midnight
Ruthless People
Sid and Nancy
Something Wild
Stand by Me
True Stories
X :The Unheard Music
FlyOver Gallery

Re: 1982 kicks 2008's ass a thousand times over

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:58 am

1982 is back with a vengeance!

Starting with Tron: Legacy on December 17, 2010, then onto The Prequel to John Carpenter's 1982 The Thing on April 29, 2011.

Next up is a new adaptation of Conan (the barbarian). Filming is finished but a release date has yet to be set.

Next up comes the continuation of The Road Warrior saga, entitled Fury Road, with Tom Hardy (star of Bronson) in the lead role.
It was announced by George Miller on 24 October 2009, that filming of Fury Road would commence at Broken Hill in New South Wales in early 2011, ending years of speculation.
On 29 October 2009, it was announced that British actor Tom Hardy was in negotiations to take the lead role of Max, and Charlize Theron will also play a major role. The plot will be set shortly after the events of Beyond Thunderdome.
It was confirmed that Miller would film two Mad Max films back to back. The second of the two films will be called Mad Max: Furiosa. The article also states that Nicholas Hoult, Zoë Kravitz and Adelaide Clemens have joined the cast.

Next up is the sequel to 1982's The Dark Crystal, entitled The Power Of The Dark Crystal.
On May 4, 2010, it was announced that the Australian-based Omnilab Media is partnering with The Jim Henson Company to produce the film. Brian Froud will return as conceptual designer. The film will be released in stereoscopic 3D.

Next up is a remake/revival of Creepshow, entitled Creepshow 4
On November 10, 2009, it was announced that Taurus Entertainment (rights holders of the original Creepshow) had a 3-D remake planned. Warner Bros. is one of the companies currently involved in developing a "revival" or remake of the film, to be titled Creepshow 4.

Unfortunately, the remakes of Poltergeist and Porky's haven't fared so well.
As of 2010, the Poltergeist remake is on hold due to the bankruptcy of MGM and its failure to find a new buyer, and although the talk show host Howard Stern's production company acquired the rights to remake Porky's back in 2002, as of October 2010, there are no plans being made for a remake.
Also, the once planned Sylvester Stallone starring role & directed by reboot of the Death Wish franchise was announced DOA in late 2006.

Not to mention, if you're a fan of Blade Runner as I am, Duncan Jones' Mute, which takes place in a future Berlin, is currently in pre-production.
"It's a Blade Runner-inspired piece, a little love letter to that film." The film takes place in the same timeline as Jones' Moon, and will feature Sam Rockwell in a cameo as his character Sam Bell.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:47 am

2008 had Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, which was completely adorable.
That said, it's no Fast Times.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:06 pm

supaunknown wrote:2008 had Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, which was completely adorable.

Wow, I thought that movie was terrible. As a matter of fact, I'd go so far as to say that pretty much all of todays films portraying teenagers (of high school age) are just downright terrible.
What you call adorable I call irritating.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Tron was a movie that used optical effects to simulate futuristic computer graphics.

I guess the new Tron will use CGI to emulate 80's optical effects simulating futuristic computer graphics.

As for The Thing, I'm looking forward to it, but there's no replacing Rob Bottin on special make-up effects.
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:10 pm

MadMind75 wrote:Next up is the sequel to 1982's The Dark Crystal, entitled The Power Of The Dark Crystal.
On May 4, 2010, it was announced that the Australian-based Omnilab Media is partnering with The Jim Henson Company to produce the film. Brian Froud will return as conceptual designer. The film will be released in stereoscopic 3D.

Now this is just fucking awesome. It is one of my childhood and adulthood favorite movies. I like the fact that it's not a remake and that they had already talked about a sequel.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
MadMind75 wrote:Next up is the sequel to 1982's The Dark Crystal, entitled The Power Of The Dark Crystal.

Now this is just fucking awesome. It is one of my childhood and adulthood favorite movies. I like the fact that it's not a remake and that they had already talked about a sequel.

Then I'd suppose it'd also be worth mentioning that the 56-minute 1984 documentary Henson's World: The Man Behind The Muppets was released this year on DVD for the first time in North America.
I have it from the library right now infact and will give it a watch it this week.
Amazing that it's been twenty years since he's been gone.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re:

Postby MadMind75 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:15 pm

Not to mention the visiting exhibit, "Jim Henson's Fantastic World" is at the Science Museum in Chicago through Jan. 23rd.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:13 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:As for The Thing, I'm looking forward to it, but there's no replacing Rob Bottin on special make-up effects.

So much for the April 2011 release date. Universal has now pulled it and replaced it with TBA. Sounds like they need more time for post-production and to do some additional shoots and/or reshoots.

EDIT: Release date is now October 14 2011.
Last edited by MadMind75 on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am

Along with the Jim Henson theme, this may be old news to some as apparently news has been circulating about the film since 2008, but I wasn't really aware of the new The Muppets movie until Jason Segel mentioned it recently on Craig Ferguson.
MadMind75
Forum Addict

Re:

Postby acereraser » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:11 pm

FlyOver Gallery wrote:personally, I always thought 1986 was the best year for movies in the US

Aliens
Big Trouble in Little China, starring Kurt Russell, Blue Velvet
The Color of Money
Down and Out in Beverly Hills
Down by Law
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Fly
Hannah and Her Sisters
Highlander
Hoosiers
Labyrinth
Little Shop of Horrors
Manhunter
Mona Lisa
Platoon
River's Edge
Round Midnight
Ruthless People
Sid and Nancy
Something Wild
Stand by Me
True Stories
X :The Unheard Music

You forgot Solarbabies.
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Mia Sara
Keri Green
Diane Franklin
And, gulp, Daphne Zuniga

The 80s teen hottie list alone blows the 2000's out of the water.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Movies