MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Re: Porky Pine Pete's SmokeHouse BBQ

Postby daveso » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:41 pm

we had takeout from PPP about 2 months ago. Really didn't think it was that good. My son thought the brisket tasted like plain roast beef.

I never had dry rubbed ribs before, always had sauce. It was a different flavor for sure, and I didn't really like it all that much. The meat itself was very tender, fall off the bone.

The "fries" were soggy. Beans were not all that good. there were no napkins or utensils in the bag.

I wrote an email to Pete explaining exactly what we thought and he replied with an explanation. Part of the problem, and I understand this, was that things get soggy in those styrofoam boxes...all the steam from the hot food.

He said he would give me a sample of the brisket if I stop in, and I will give the place another chance. Haven't had the time to go there since that first take-out experience, but will sooner or later. Hopefully it stays open as I could have as many BBQ joints as possible in town. I love the stuff.

I think dry rubbed will take time to get used to. I love the sauce and it blends in nicely to certain ribs. My son and I are going to whip up our own sauce pretty soon. If it is really good, maybe I will have it on the table at PPP. :)
daveso

Postby indycoyote » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:43 pm

Word on the street is that Porky Pete done split for Mexico or Texas or someplace warm....any truth to that? If so, I'll miss 'em and start driving across town to Fat Jacks again....
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby depinmad » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:18 pm

yeah, apparently this is porky pine pete's last night on earth. i went in a little while ago, inhaled a tres banditos (maybe the best one i've ever had there), and left. i didn't ask any questions, i didn't want to hear any explanations. i didn't want to talk about it. i still don't. some things are just too hard.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:32 am

I was there too, by blind luck, and found out it was their last night.

I am immeasurably bummed.

I guess the BBQ that burns twice as bright burns half as long, or something.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:33 am

I posted the same thing on Twitter about a half hour after you.

I couldn't get a clear picture as to whether it was slow business that made Patrick and Leslie decide to retire, or if they decided to retire and couldn't find a buyer. Either way--they're retiring, and last night was the end.

We were probably there at the same time.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Smutterly » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:48 am

This poses a question for me. I loved this place and it was great BBQ but we always had take out. What spells the end for this place? Were they not getting the business they had hoped for? Were they really not equipped to handle even what they got? It's a shame when the produce such great stuff that the rest of the package isn't there.

I felt the same way about Wingstop even though it was a chain. Reasonably priced, good wings and then the place closes without a notice. They were always busy so I don't understand it. Certainly I don't have all the details and I wasn't eating 3 squares there but both places leave a loss for me.
Smutterly

Postby indycoyote » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:44 pm

I think there are other mitigating factors here...Patrick has some pending legal issues. Not sure if they are business related or not. Bummer, good Que is hard to find behind the cheddar curtain!
indycoyote
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:59 pm

Bummer. Ms Vilas and I dined there a couple weeks ago. They had a coupon in the new Bucky Book, a two for one deal on a half rack of ribs. Unfortunately not the first time an eatery went under after their initial listing in the BB.

So what's the next best place for ribs in the area?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:10 pm

indycoyote wrote:I think there are other mitigating factors here...Patrick has some pending legal issues. Not sure if they are business related or not.

Should have thought to look into that (especially after losing Bull's BBQ to shitty operation). Looks like Patrick (assuming this is the same Patrick) got a OWI with a minor in the vehicle back in July. Motion hearing is set for this week, and it's scheduled for a jury trial in November.

If this is the case, what a disappointment--to say nothing of being a completely foolish and irresponsible act.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby okiebp » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 am

Too bad. Great BBQ.
The best BBQ in town, easily.
okiebp

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Looks like Patrick (assuming this is the same Patrick) got a OWI with a minor in the vehicle back in July. Motion hearing is set for this week, and it's scheduled for a jury trial in November.

If this is the case, what a disappointment--to say nothing of being a completely foolish and irresponsible act.

That's not his only legal problem. CCAP doesn't paint a pretty picture.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 am

I'm gonna guess there's a lot of unpaid bills at that location as well. I never saw a place that size making it. If he had intended on running an honest BBQ restaurant it would have been a quarter that size and done mostly take out. Retail rent is a bitch. think $1/sq foot at least. That's a shit ton of ribs guys. Not to mention insurance Pete probably didn't have, utilities, and staff.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:20 am

Henry Vilas wrote:That's not his only legal problem. CCAP doesn't paint a pretty picture.

Well, no, but OWI with minor passenger in Dane County means a lot more to me than a bunch of Department of Revenue tax issues in Rusk County.

fisticuffs wrote:I never saw a place that size making it. If he had intended on running an honest BBQ restaurant it would have been a quarter that size and done mostly take out.

Ever seen Kreuz Market? Yes, I know it's in Texas and has a massive following, but it's an honest BBQ restaurant if there ever was one, and its interior isn't all that different from PPP's.

They had high hopes, that's for sure.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 am

Ever seen Kreuz Market?

Also appears they've been in business since 1900 and don't just sell prepared BBQ. They also were "forced" to move into that facility in 1999 becasue they had so much business. They didn't just grab 7000 sq/ft and try to make a go of it. Porky Pine Pete's was delicious and I wish I had eaten there more than twice but the end was written when they signed the lease.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:00 am

fisticuffs wrote:the end was written when they signed the lease.

Everything else you said about Kreuz v. Pete's, I concede. It's not a direct comparison. But having been in the middle of reviewing Pete's when I learned they'd be closing, I have to say that I've seen what they were hoping for with that space, and recently at that. A couple weeks ago, on a Friday evening, the line was almost to the front door, and nearly every table was already full.

The quality of their product could fill that space, I have no doubt. And that's in spite of a rough-hewn, sometimes bizarre business model--including (at the time) a woefully insufficient number of printed menus. Of course, there were more when I went on Saturday. Fat lot of good it did 'em.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Cooking & Food issues